• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gypsy tour apology

R

reidguyton

My sincerest apologies go out to the GS Giants who endeavored to find me after I left the campout at the Gypsy Tour site near Oark the day before it ended. As it turns out, I only found out today that I had caused a commotion by going missing, that apparently even involved the local sheriff. Apologies especially to Daniel, the "Queen" , and Ian. I had had an unplanned meeting with a young oak tree, deep in the Johnson County Ozark Forest. This resulted in knocking my headlight off its bolt on one side and this also dislodged the instrument cluster, so it was all wobbly. I decided it would be best to try to fix it at the Bentonville BMW shop before the rally. So I took off , to be there the next AM early. My thanks go out to all who were concerned. Thanks also to the great organization of the Gypsy Tour (even if the difficulty of the planned routes were not always as labeled ). Great job.

I wasn't there, suffered no angst, and exerted no effort. So as an outsider I can make a comment.

If you are with a group - please don't leave the group - without telling somebody what you are doing and why. This will save some of the above.

There should be a couple of people appointed in every group to collect cell phone numbers, as well as a central cell phone number to call in.

Maybe there was, I do not have a GS...

But I rode the rally edition GS at the BMW trailer, that may have to change.

Rod

Rod,

Phone numbers and emergency info was collected by yours truly however, some folks declined to give cell numbers and gave alternates. Additionally, where GS riders tend to congregate, there is little to no cell service. The fine folks at Byrds Adventure Center were kind enough to help us out. Next time, I will add the additional step requesting riders sign out if they leave before the clear-out date. Live and learn. I have no problem spending time hunting someone down to know they are safe. Just glad it ended well.

I assume you liked your test ride? Make it a reality and come join the fun!

Back