• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Who did not attend because of the heat?

Who did not attend because of the heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am 67. I have done over 1,000,000 miles on BMWs, plus other brands. I have done hill climbs, motocross, cross country; toured all of Europe and most of Africa.

I rode 1256 miles to the rally in a 24 hour period that included a 2 1/2 hour HES replacement on the side of the road in Kentucky.

Now where are those young whiper snappers that are doing all the whining?

Over a million miles! Wow!

Did you document it like Ardys and Voni?

I was looking at some 2003 postings on ADV today about the MOA Rally in Charleston, and people were pre-bitching about the anticipated heat they expected at the 2004 Spokane Rally, 11 months in advance.

Nothing ever changes.

I was looking at some 2003 postings on ADV today about the MOA Rally in Charleston, and people were pre-bitching about the anticipated heat they expected at the 2004 Spokane Rally, 11 months in advance.

Nothing ever changes.

:clap :buds

:bikes

Whiners gonna whine...

:violin

What no one seems to think about is Camp Gears. How are the youngsters going to attend if the rally is during the school year???

Huh????

My vote now and as always, keep the Rally when it is.

Some rallies are hot, some are cool. I attend many rallies every year.
I don't sit and incessantly bitch about them changing those dates.
Motorcycling is like that sometimes it is cold, sometimes hot, sometimes raining.

For those who don't like the weather, don't go. :wave

Not that anal

Over a million miles! Wow!

Did you document it like Ardys and Voni?

Nope; I never even figured it out until a group of us was sitting around talking bikes and I started listing the bikes I have owned and the miles I put on them. The 1,000,000 + are BMW only miles. I did not count the early Harleys and Indians, the 4 Triumphs, the assortment of motocross and trials bikes nor all the assorted Hondas, BSA, Nortons and Ducs. The greatest number of miles on any single bike was 300,057 miles on my, 1961, R69S. When you consider the number of years that motorcycles were my only transportation and how old I am; it is not that many miles.

Nope; I never even figured it out until a group of us was sitting around talking bikes and I started listing the bikes I have owned and the miles I put on them. The 1,000,000 + are BMW only miles. I did not count the early Harleys and Indians, the 4 Triumphs, the assortment of motocross and trials bikes nor all the assorted Hondas, BSA, Nortons and Ducs. The greatest number of miles on any single bike was 300,057 miles on my, 1961, R69S. When you consider the number of years that motorcycles were my only transportation and how old I am; it is not that many miles.

Congratulations Jerry, that is quite an accomplishment. Wish I had all your experience and great memories of riding in different countries, especially Africa.

Excuses to avoid changes in the National Rally schedule

Straight up, you can't get a true picture of people's thoughts about the super hot rally's by stacking the deck ; as I learned in my psychology training regarding research, "figures don't lie but liars do figure". It's like getting a dealer customer satisfaction survey which asks you if you are Satisfied, Very Satisfied, or Totally satisfied. In short, this is NOT straight pool.

Fact: numerous people ended up in the hospital due to the heat in Bloomsburg as well as in Sedalia! (I was one of them)

Fact: many people do not want to be wandering around in 100 degree heat, regardless of their physical condition.

Fact: the ."we've always done it this way" argument is irrelevant and idiotic; it simply indicates rigidity in thinking.

Fact: if the rally were to be scheduled for sometime other than July, the vendors would alter their schedules accordingly, (that is how a free market economy functions) and our vendors are NOT going to miss an opportunity to be at a national if it is scheduled another time.

Proof of this is the fact that I opted NOT to take my vaction in July for Sedalia, but rather scheduled the second week in September (to the Dragon) because I am NOT interested in going to rallys or other events in 100 degree heat.

It's time the leadership chooses to address the "elephant in the room" and admits that July is too damn hot.

Unappologetically,

Will 3 Hawks

I love to go to a rally,rain,shine,hot,cold,hurricane.My friends went to Sedalia.It was just too far,for me.
Can't please everyone,so ya got to please yourself.

See you in Oregon(though the coast would be cooler,just sayin).

Straight up, you can't get a true picture of people's thoughts about the super hot rally's by stacking the deck ; as I learned in my psychology training regarding research, "figures don't lie but liars do figure". It's like getting a dealer customer satisfaction survey which asks you if you are Satisfied, Very Satisfied, or Totally satisfied. In short, this is NOT straight pool.

Fact: numerous people ended up in the hospital due to the heat in Bloomsburg as well as in Sedalia! (I was one of them)

Fact: many people do not want to be wandering around in 100 degree heat, regardless of their physical condition.

Fact: the ."we've always done it this way" argument is irrelevant and idiotic; it simply indicates rigidity in thinking.

Fact: if the rally were to be scheduled for sometime other than July, the vendors would alter their schedules accordingly, (that is how a free market economy functions) and our vendors are NOT going to miss an opportunity to be at a national if it is scheduled another time.

Proof of this is the fact that I opted NOT to take my vaction in July for Sedalia, but rather scheduled the second week in September (to the Dragon) because I am NOT interested in going to rallys or other events in 100 degree heat.

It's time the leadership chooses to address the "elephant in the room" and admits that July is too damn hot.

Unappologetically,

Will 3 Hawks

Here's some more facts for you my friend; 4000 + memebers on the MOA Facebook page with zero complaints about the heat, 5000+ attended the rally, 30,000+ MOA members, 50,000 members of this forum and as of this date you still don't 100 people participating in this poll. I would say that you and the others who wish to move the rally are in such a small minority that it's no longer worthy of a debate.

In fact:)

At 5000 or even our best 8-9000 attendee year, WE"RE all a minority of folks attending rallies. At about 39000-40000 MOA member strong, most still are absent, various reasons. I am so very glad to be a rally attendee and won't let anytime of year get by without attending:). One thing certain, those folks not attending have reasons, all types and just miss out. Willing to bet, move the rally dates, they still are absent! Randy

Unappologetically,

Will 3 Hawks

Have you written the BOD directly and expressed your opinion? If not, you need to. If you have, then you have had your input.

You can continue with this tactic,

1345299342.jpg

but I doubt that it is an effective way to get the change you desire.

Perhaps you are in the minority and it will never be changed. From all appearances in this thread, there is not a large enough number of members to think that it will be sometime other than in July.

You can either attend or not, your choice.

None of this is personal, just stating the obvious.

At 5000 or even our best 8-9000 attendee year, WE"RE all a minority of folks attending rallies. At about 39000-40000 MOA member strong, most still are absent, various reasons. I am so very glad to be a rally attendee and won't let anytime of year get by without attending:). One thing certain, those folks not attending have reasons, all types and just miss out. Willing to bet, move the rally dates, they still are absent! Randy

I don't think the date has much to do with the number in attendance. If anything, the July dates improve attendance. Time, expense and distance is the reason more people don't attend. How can a member justify to their spouse that vacation time and vacation money should be spent on attending a rally when the same vacation time and money could be spent with the family at the beach or in the mountains? The family frequently considers that the member is being selfish. The time and expense of traveling thousands of miles to attend a rally is also a reason for many members not attending the rally. I think you will find that a large number of the attendees are from within 500 miles of the rally. My self imposed 500 mile limit is there because I don't want to be more than a long day's ride from home in case of an emergency. At my age, the emergency could be at home or it could be me.

Yes, weather is a factor

But, honestly...............who beyond the retired have the opportunity to attend a national, unless it's local? In this day and age, vacation time is getting to be a rare commodity and how many really can take it? This isn't 1976, my friends. We don't work for large companies with large staffs that can absorb a one and two week vacation by an employee.

Switching the time of the Rally might be good for some folks relative to heat, but it's not going to change the reality for the non-retired. I'll attend my next national, when I have the chance, spring, summer or fall, but the deciding factor will be distance and time from work.

But, honestly...............who beyond the retired have the opportunity to attend a national, unless it's local?

Just us old rally folks. I attended every one except Moodus between 1984 and when I retired in 2005. So for me, 21 out of 22 while working a full time job with two or three weeks vacation a year. It is just priorities. Motorcycling, MOA, and friends I saw once a year was a priority for me.

But, honestly...............who beyond the retired have the opportunity to attend a national, unless it's local?

Since you asked.... I am not retired and have signed up for 2 weeks vacation to attend the national next year. Oh yea, that's after taking a 12 week sabbatical beginning Jan 2013 to tour Central America. Must be one of the lucky few.

Nope.....Not retired here either, but have already scheduled two weeks vacation and will be riding 1900 miles to the rally next year from Kansas.

Like Paul pointed out, priorities.

Almost retired:)

Trying hard to finish my career this year. But, all my working years, I too have had the desire to do rallies and take time off work for it. Usually the more years in, the more vacation perks allowed. I understand many companies limit this. Wife rides too but cannot always go(another career in her), but my Daughter grew up on the back of my bike, traveling about the USA. We had the best of times. She rides a Beemer today of her own and is in her own Navy Career as a F18 Hornet driver/F650 too:). She cannot attend rallies either, or very few. Busy, but wish she could. Oregon, I'm there:). Randy

Just us old rally folks. I attended every one except Moodus between 1984 and when I retired in 2005. So for me, 21 out of 22 while working a full time job with two or three weeks vacation a year. It is just priorities. Motorcycling, MOA, and friends I saw once a year was a priority for me.

Paul,

I understand and appreciate that you and Voni are truly dedicated to the future of the MOA. And, if it's your priority, most folks can make a Rally. However, I still stand by my original point that vacation time is a vanishing commodity for many of us.

As such, I doubt that changing the date of the rally will greatly increase attendance. The Rally's near the coasts or tourist spots (Rocky's or Cascades) will likely attract the highest attendance due to local population or the attractions. Those rally's in the mid-west or plains will be more lightly attended. But, you still visit the family members in KS or MO, don't you? Accordingly, the MOA rotates the rally site. Some years you have a big attendance. Some years it's small.

BTW - This year in the Bloomsburg area, we had 2-wks of high heat (cooler than last year), but still uncomfortable. It was near the time of the power outage around DC which made folks in that area realize the value of AC (but not the fallacy of deregulated utilities and their subcontracted repair crews). Other than that, it's been a pretty decent summer with dry and wet periods. July 2011 was just a bad time to be in Bloomsburg.

Back