• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Who did not attend because of the heat?

Who did not attend because of the heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gnavecky

We changed our minds and did not attend this year because of the heat. Not MOA’s fault just bad luck 2 years in a row.

Do we really need to rehash this every year?

Nothing personal towards the poster but in my opinion, this is a tiring, ongoing, annual debate. The rally time frame isn't likely to change. Either a person chooses to go or they don't.

Nothing personal towards the poster but in my opinion, this is a tiring, ongoing, annual debate. The rally time frame isn't likely to change. Either a person chooses to go or they don't.

I disagree. While the timing proabably won't change, there may be a grassroots effort to hold the rally in a location that is conducive to comfortable riding.

Before everyone reminds me there aren't many venues that can accomdate our large group, our attenadance is dwindling as memebers choose not to bake.

IIRC, the last two years were under 6000 in attendance, and that impacts the bottom line. I want the MOA to succeed.

I didn't go due to the location (distance from home). The weather didn't make any difference. I knew Bloomsburg was going to be scorching hot when I went and had a great time.

I disagree. While the timing probably won't change, there may be a grassroots effort to hold the rally in a location that is conducive to comfortable riding.

Before everyone reminds me there aren't many venues that can accommodate our large group, our attendance is dwindling as members choose not to bake.

IIRC, the last two years were under 6000 in attendance, and that impacts the bottom line. I want the MOA to succeed.

+1, Gunny; well spoken HRbiker, I agree with you 100% and it's time for a change! I joined in 1980, #24810, have attended many rallies, but heat now decides if I go!

In 2011 my teenage Son Seth and I just kept riding on past Johnson City with it's sweltering temperatures and kept touring on to Nova Scotia instead on our R1150RT.

This month we headed out to the MOA Rally in Missouri, but when we saw the high heat forecasted for Sedalia: We turned North to the Rockies on our K1600GT instead.

Our game plan now for the MOA Rallies in July is simple: We pack up for them, but do not preregister; just keep a close eye on the weather and veer off to cooler climes!

Last edited:

Yes this really does need to be hashed and rehashed each year as a reminder to the board to be more thoughtful on where and when to have these national gatherings.

The answer is simple my dear Watson, spring or fall or above 5000 feet if in the middle of summer!

I was at Sedalia and yes it was miserably hot and humid!

Jack

We better get used to it because it looks like global warming is a fact and there will be more and more heat every year.

I didn't go due to my economic situation. I would have been there otherwise, hot or cold.
To those that want to choose other locations I ask, do you have a crystal ball? The average temperature in Sedalia Mo on July 25 is a low of 70 and a high of 89 F. Based on data from 1997 - 2012. Not bad for summer. Can you predict the weather a year or more in advance?

i did not attend this year, nor did i attend last year due to the heat. last year i did pre-register but not this year. i doubt i will ever pre-register again, unless the dates are changed to what are typically cooler months or cooler locations.

if the MOA continues to hold the national rally in the dead of summer in what are sweltering locations, the problem of finding a venue large enough to hold the rally will become a non issue as more and more members will choose not to attend because of the heat factor.

for the past two years the attendance has been declining and with the rally on the west coast next year i wouldn't anticipate record breaking crowds for the third year in a row. let this trend continue for five plus years and you will see some vendors determine it is not worth there time and effort to attend a rally where the total number of attendees is dropping every year.

maybe that is what it will take before the board holds a real, unbiased poll on when the rally should be. at the very least the board should be open to discussing this topic, but there silence shows me they are either set in there ways and unwilling to change or they are indifferent to what the members want.

I didn't go due to my economic situation. I would have been there otherwise, hot or cold.
To those that want to choose other locations I ask, do you have a crystal ball? The average temperature in Sedalia Mo on July 25 is a low of 70 and a high of 89 F. Based on data from 1997 - 2012. Not bad for summer. Can you predict the weather a year or more in advance?

Just throwing in a brief comment - my hope that this discussion remains civil.

I don't think it's really relevant anymore to look up old data about temp trends at any particular location - with global climates rapidly changing due to human impact, this imperical data is near useless.

I think all one has to do is name a geographic location, and the odds are pretty good most MOA members could guess what the temps will be for that particular time of year.

Ergo, "time of year" needs to be re-thought, so that combined with location, we might hit on nicer rally weather and perhaps boost attendance to the numbers that the powers-to-be think we need.

Just a thought - now back to the Olympics. :usa

Yes, Sedalia was hot. But to the MOA's credit they sought a place where we could get relieve in air conditioned buildings. I think that was a lesson learned after Bloomsburg, and I really have to give them credit for that.

Barley and I didn't do much riding in Sedalia since the temp didn't drop below 100F till after 8pm, but we adjusted our daily routine and had a great time!

I disagree. While the timing proabably won't change, there may be a grassroots effort to hold the rally in a location that is conducive to comfortable riding.

Before everyone reminds me there aren't many venues that can accomdate our large group, our attenadance is dwindling as memebers choose not to bake.

I want the MOA to succeed, too. You live in the area that I search for potential rally venues. If you know of any, I am all :ear

Ian

While July may not be the best time for the rally weatherwise, it does give the most members an opportunity to schedule time for the rally. I think the location in relation to where the membership lives is more important than the temperature at the rally location. The temperature in Oregon at the next rally will probably be great but the 2,600 miles or more of blazing hot interstate to get there will keep a lot of east coast members near home.

I am glad the RA is going to have their rally in the mountains of Western NC next year. It will give some of us that cannot go to Oregon due to lack of time, health, money or other reasons a more convenient rally to attend. The rallys are so different, I don't think the RA rally will impact attendance at the MOA rally much if any. I think the RA would be wise have their rallys far away from the MOA rallys but keep them within 500 miles of concentrations of their membership.

Rally heat issues

I did NOT attend the rally this year, as last year at Bloomsburg, I ended up in the hospital due to the heat. I will NOT attend 100 degree rallys wherever they are. The idea that "we've always done it this way and as a result we can't change" is simply brain dead stupid. Look at the stats: Usual rally attendance 8-10,000 people, This year-between 5&6000. Do the math!!! I don't have anything against !

Rally sites

I vote for the Gulf or Southeastern coastal areas in September or October. If not that, then North Dakota in March. We could name them The Howlin' Wind and Rain Hurricane Rally and The Why Didn't We Hold This In Friggin' July Rally.

I had a choice between Paonia and National and chose the former because the idea of Central Missouri in July...Yowzer.

I watched the weather reports during the weekend of the rally...While Sedalia was enjoying 104-106, Colorado and NM were in the 80's.

I paid & packed to go, headed first towards OSU for an event with my son. I checked the weather when we finished up in Columbus. I had two choices, Sedalia @104F or the Smokies @ 80F. No brainer, headed to the Mountains.

Not enough time for me to get there was the primary reason. But the heat would have kept me away too.

Back