View Poll Results: Who did not attend because of the heat?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre registered but did not attend

25 22.52%
  • Just did not attend

86 77.48%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Who did not attend because of the heat?

We - the Board - have taken action !

This issue has been addressed, as recently as last fall. After Bloomsburg, the Board created a Rally Review Committee. I am that committee chairman.

One of the things we did was conduct a survey. Actually, there were several surveys:
    There there three groups surveyed:
    1) Vendors
    2) Key Committee Chairs
    3) 2000 randomly selected BMW MOA members

We chose the vendors and the "Key" committee chairs because let's face it folks: without these hard working key committee chairs and the big turn-out of the vendors, we could not do the rally as we do it today. The third group was created by creating a computer-generated randomized list of members. Their survey was marginally different in that we wanted to know additional questions, such as - how they felt about Regional Events and smartphone applications.

I will work with Greg Feeler to pull all of the information together and post it here. Stand by. This may take a few days to pull all of that information together so that it is a readable format.

Sue
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Thank you Sue, I appreciate your effort in trying to clarify things.

I for one never considered the weather much when I went on a motorcycle trip. I just carried my rain gear. But now that I'm older and have had some health problems, I look at the weather very carefully. Last year I got heat exhaustion on the way to Bloomsburg. I left Bloomsburg at 8:00 PM on Saturday night and rode 720 miles overnight to get home. It was a long, but cool ride. This year we wanted to attend, and the wife also wanted to go. We decided early on that we didn't want to camp, and made motel reservations. As the time grew closer the heat went higher, so we decided to cancel and go another time. We'll see ya'all at another one...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    We chose the vendors and the "Key" committee chairs because let's face it folks: without these hard working key committee chairs and the big turn-out of the vendors, we could not do the rally as we do it today. Sue
    Why is so much credence given to vendors? Does the club make that much money renting vending space at a rally? For me the vendors are the least important part of a rally. With so much to do at, or around, a rally the last thing I want to do is go shopping.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Recht View Post
    Why is so much credence given to vendors? Does the club make that much money renting vending space at a rally? For me the vendors are the least important part of a rally. With so much to do at, or around, a rally the last thing I want to do is go shopping.
    For those of us who must ride 4 hours to a decent motorcycle shop the vendors are our chance to compare and contrast gear and accessories we've only seen in magazines.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    For those of us who must ride 4 hours to a decent motorcycle shop the vendors are our chance to compare and contrast gear and accessories we've only seen in magazines.
    Vendors are a big draw for me. It's nice to get your hands on expensive booty you're considering to purchase and talk directly to the people who create this gear. Beats the pants offa the shopping cart on the website.

At one rally, I had a guy make me a lighter adapter to bare wire leads while I waited. The phone got charged that night as a result, and what he did was top quality in both materials and workmanship. Yeah, I could have found a radio shack and done it myself, but not without the great conversation during the process.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I have no regrets about having attended the rally this year. Sure I was exhausted from riding in 106 degrees Wednesday and I didn't do any of the demo rides I was looking forward to doing because of it.. But it was all worth the opportunity to reconnect with existing friends, make new friends, attend several outstanding seminars (Paul Glaves , Ramey "Coach" Stroud, Andrea Borella, to name a few). The vendors are a "key" part of the rally and one of the "key" reasons I attend. And I've already made plans to attend the 41st. It will be a great opportunity for a road trip from Wisconsin regardless of the weather/distance. We can always find an excuse for not doing something....

I know some saided to hold the rally in the spring or fall, that would count me out due to work. Yes i still work!

We have tornadoes here in the mideast/midwest in the spring time and hurricanes in the southeast in the fall time. Bloomsburg had the heat in July, and the floods in Sept. I can ride in the heat, but I cant ride in the floods.

ROC
    ROC-ROC
    President of the Hoosier Beemers
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

The wife and I attended the Rally and in spite of conditions, we had a great time..most of the vendors were in air conditioned buildings and there was also plenty of cooling spots..shade and eateries. One of the highlights was meeting up with Paul Rawlings (Celtic Riders) from Ireland who made our IOM and Ireland tour a possibility.... We want to extend our thanks to all who made this years Rally so enjoyable and really appreciate the dedication and hard work that went into this event..

One of the things we did was conduct a survey. Actually, there were several surveys:
    There there three groups surveyed:
    1) Vendors
    2) Key Committee Chairs
    3) 2000 randomly selected BMW MOA members
    a couple of observations/questions about the survey. i might be going out on a limb here but i am will to bet that

1) the vendors want the rally held at the same time so they can plan there rally schedule for the following year.

2) the key committee chairs want the rally held at the same time. my best guess is that the key committee chairs have been doing this a long time and plan there vacations for the same time each year.

this leaves the 2000 random MOA members surveyed. were these 2000 all attendees at Bloomsburg or were they a mixture of Bloomsburg attendees as well as those who choose not to attend for one reason or another? how was the survey done, was the questionnaire handed out during the rally or was it mailed/e-mailed out afterwards?

as i am sure everyone knows you can have a survey and get whatever results you want based on how & when you take the survey. i am not saying this is what happened but if the 2000 members that were surveyed were all present at Bloomsburg and the survey was conducted durning the rally it seems to me like the results would be very biased as a complete group, those that did not attend the rally, were excluded from the survey.

i am sure being on the board is a tiring and thankless job, especially when you have someone like me questioning some of the things they do. i do appreciate all they do for our club and although we may not see eye to eye on some things i would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all the MOA board members who work so hard to make this club the success it is.

why isn't there a poll on why people didn't attend because ; to far away, not during my vacation, spouse had too many honeydo's, wrong kind of beer being served, cat had laryngitis, dog in heat, grand kids in jail, warrant for arrest in that state. There is always a reason not to attend some chose the weather this year hope you all can make it to one of the rally's in the future. This year was a great rally sorry you missed it.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

We made time to visit the rally on our way home from KC. This was our second rally (we also attended Redmond two years ago). The heat was not a deal-breaking problem for us. The grounds were well laid out with plenty of air conditioned buildings to escape to if needed. There were also plenty of shady spots. That said, we did not camp, which would have been on the warm side of comfortable. We are also somewhat used to heat here in Houston (Sedalia wasn't humid compared to here, which was a nice break for us!). I think I liked this rally better than Redmond (although the riding in Oregon is second-to-none). Good food, good music, I found a couple of needed items at the vendor displays, and saw a lot of really neat old bikes. My wife enjoyed the riding and the one of her favorite bands played Friday evening. I say kudos to the rally committee!
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

I am a new member and appreciate the information and general knowledge and entertainment I get from having this site available. I recently purchased a 2007 R1200 RT and have so far enjoyed the bike.

I live in the Portland Oregon area and see that next years rally is in Salem. For those that had issues due to the weather this year, I thought I would give you an idea of what you can expect in Salem next year. Generally July in the Willamette Valley will be about 85-90 degrees. It can however rain and be in the 70 degree range as this year turned out. Although it can get to 100 degrees, it is not common. We usually plan on rain for the Fourth of July. I think the dates that are scheduled are good in that the rain is less likely.

If it is hot, you can ride 50 miles into the mountains and it will be cooler. If you want to camp and don't mind an hour ride into Salem, Detroit Lake has a great campground and is very beautiful. The ride to Salem is beautiful as well with 2 lane highway for half of the ride and 4 lane highway for half. Be aware that the campground fills up quickly and can be reserved on line. In the summer it is generally full, so if you choose to camp there, book early.

Salem in general is just a regular mid sized town. It is our Capitol. There is a lot of great riding with the mountains and the coast being equal distances (about 50-60) miles. There are also great wineries that are also in great riding country about 30 miles away near McMinneville and Newberg.

We hope you will enjoy the rally here, but as with anywhere, the weather can be uncooperative at times.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roc-Roc View Post
    We have tornadoes here in the mideast/midwest in the spring time and hurricanes in the southeast in the fall time. Bloomsburg had the heat in July, and the floods in Sept. I can ride in the heat, but I cant ride in the floods. ROC
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Can you imagine the uproar if the Bloomsburg rally had been scheduled in September and the rally had been flooded? I'm not a big fan of the July heat but it is a month with the lowest chance of a natural disaster. I worked insurance claims for over 31 years and I spent many weeks away from home in the spring working tornado and hail claims as well as many weeks away from home in September and October working hurricane claims. The many spring and fall flooding events did not impact me as much because flooding is not a covered peril with most homeowner and commercial policies.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Survey posted

Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.