• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reflective Decals

amtoro

I'm considering different options for applying reflective tape to the rear of the system cases but I'm not sure about the legality of using colors, or for that matter, if red is a smart choice as it may cause the brake light to be less visible at night.

Does anybody know if chevrons on high visibility yellow and orange is allowed? any other options that you have seen or done?

3M makes a black stick on product which reflects white when headlights hit it. It comes in rolls 14 inches wide and you cut to size. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what it is called.

I have seen the "stealth" tape before; I still have a jacket that has some on the back and it works pretty well in the dark.

However, I'm looking for something that is also visible during the day, something that screams "hey, I'm right here!" to cars driving behind me.

The idea of something similar to the chevrons on the back of the emergency vehicles in the EU is very tempting, but given that now the NFPA requires fire department vehicles to have similar chevrons (red and yellow, not orange and lime) on the back of their vehicles, I'm dubious if it would be legal.

I found these, they are freely available to the public, but are made as per NFPA rules, therefore, they are exactly the same as you find on fire trucks.

motorcycle_chevron.jpg

The idea of something similar to the chevrons on the back of the emergency vehicles in the EU is very tempting, but given that now the NFPA requires fire department vehicles to have similar chevrons (red and yellow, not orange and lime) on the back of their vehicles, I'm dubious if it would be legal.

If it's legal on the back of a fire truck, why wouldn't it be legal on the back of your bike?

Go ahead and use the hi-viz reflective material.

I've got red reflective tape on the back of my RT. I used a roll of red/white reflective tape I found at a truck stop, cut some lengths of red tape, rounded the corners, and it works good and looks good.

Harry

If it's legal on the back of a fire truck, why wouldn't it be legal on the back of your bike?

I would agree with you, but being that there are laws regulating certain equipment used exclusively by emergency personnel, it would be nice to know if reflective stripes like those are allowed on private vehicles.

The red and white tape is DOT approved for use by anyone. do you have some pictures with and without flash? that would be very helpful.

All vehicles in Israel have two strips of the red/white stripe on the rear bumper. Not saying its legal here but it do make some sense.

Yup, check your state laws first, then run with scissors.

Harry

for the same reason that you can't go and put fire-vehicle lights on your bike or car?

(i have no belief that the reflectve tape is not okay, but there are regulations that restrict private vehicles from using certain "safety" equipment authorized for PD or FD)

I have been using SOLAS tape I got from Aerostitch Riders Wearhouse on my bags for several bikes now and like it a lot.

I have been using SOLAS tape I got from Aerostitch Riders Wearhouse on my bags for several bikes now and like it a lot.

I've got the SOLAS white tape on my helmet, sides and back. The red reflective on the back of my bike, on the hard bags, is the truck type reflective tape required on truck trailers, on the rear and sides.

Reflective tape on the back of the bike is a far cry from emergency lights and sirens, and needs no explanation as to legality. As long as the reflective panels don't say "Police, or "Polizei" or "Fire Department," I have to believe you are good to go. That's just common sense to me.

Harry

What one thinks or believes or what seems to make sense is irrelevant. Check your local laws. Some places are very picky about what reflective colors & lights you can display on the rear of a vehicle.

I have been trying to find anything in regards to the subject for several days now; I'm almost done reading the motor vehicle code (again) and have not found anything yet.

I was thinking that it would me more of a Federal-level regulation instead of State; I might talk to a state trooper the next time I see one. They are more likely to know about it than police or sheriffs.

I will post any findings, but in the meantime, post any other suggestions or personal experiences.

Gawd, sometimes you guys can debate something to death. >> smiley ;) The tape does not say "FIRE" or "EMERGENCY" and is therefore not regulated anywhere in the U.S. that I know of. Lights are a totally different situation, so let's not confuse or interchange one thing with the other.

I've never heard of any Federal prohibition, and if it's allowed Federally, a state can't prohibit it.
If you are unsure, just ask a local police officer.

I might talk to a state trooper the next time I see one. They are more likely to know about it than police or sheriffs.

He won't know the law for all 50 states.
I would just slap on whatever reflective tape you want.

I would just slap on whatever reflective tape you want.

My thoughts exactly. I've seen all kinds of reflective tape on bikes, from black, white, red, yellow, even pink.

If police let bikers go with fake helmets in helmet-mandatory states, do you really think they would hassle anyone about reflective tape?

In New York, reflective tape is required on both sides of a motorcycle helmet. I'm probably the only rider in NY in compliance with that law. Police could care less about reflective tape.

Harry

To bring some closure...

I called the State Trooper's offices and they say that they are not aware of any color restrictions with a few exceptions.

Blue lights are for the exclusive use of law enforcement personnel, therefore, blue reflective tape is not allowed.

If I add something to the front, it cannot be red; amber is, of course, ok.

I mentioned the chevrons, and they said that as long as I have the reflectors required by law, I can put all the extra reflective material I want with the exceptions mentioned above.

The red and white tape used by commercial vehicles is also ok as it is US-DOT regulated. :deal

Not exactly on my system luggage, but this is what 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) looks like on a GiVi E52 Maxia topcase.

The original white non-reflective vinyl film that GiVi applied to the surfaces behind the reflectors was removed and the 3M was applied.

For comparison purposes, the left reflector has the 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) applied behind it; the center and right sections are OEM GiVi...
393360218_wchtp-L-1.jpg

3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) applied to all surfaces behind the reflectors...
397313833_JaPGt-L.jpg

Back