• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Standard/naked S1000RR to come?

BlackdogGS

I've been thinking about a building a variation of the Wunderlich Pirahana for some time. Starting with a standard would make my job much easier. I'm very old (63) and I can't comfortably sit on a sport bike anymore. I'd like to build a bike that's easy on my knees but has still has balls. Thanks

Where did you find it out? I've been reading about naked versions being tested, but no definite plans or press releases.

I posted this link to the press release a few days ago.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70838-Press-Release-S1000-R-quot-Roadster-quot

Nobody seemed interested. There was more forum traffic about the 500cc Harley. :)

I agree, no interest here at all. The S1000RR guys probably think the MOA is for old dudes. Come to think of it I've never seen a S1000 at a BMW rally.

I was set to get the new Ducati Monster 1200S (water cooled 1198 motor, 145 HP) but with the new S1000R I might have to rethink my plan. We have a great Ducati dealer in the area, I love going there. I never warmed up to the local BMW dealer but I'll see what I can do.

I agree, no interest here at all. The S1000RR guys probably think the MOA is for old dudes. Come to think of it I've never seen a S1000 at a BMW rally.

I was set to get the new Ducati Monster 1200S (water cooled 1198 motor, 145 HP) but with the new S1000R I might have to rethink my plan. We have a great Ducati dealer in the area, I love going there. I never warmed up to the local BMW dealer but I'll see what I can do.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest here in the S1000RR in general.
I really like the new version...it's designed for a very small niche crowd...so it makes sense that most would be somewhat repulsed by it.

There were 5 S1000RR's in Redmond in 2010, including mine.
The only one in Salem in '13 was mine, as far as I could see.

Most of the owners of S1RR's that I know are old dudes (over 40), and I've had a blast at the MOA Rally's w/ you codger's and I tell everyone that.

I'm a big fan of the entire Monster line...but I think I like the mini-monster the most...still, I think it would be a good move to hold off on pulling the trigger until you get to sample the S1000R. Might be worth the wait.

Age v Climate

As the S1000RR was being introduced in the U.S. the average age of a BMW owner was 7 years older than that of the average age of riders overall for the U.S. Some numbers tossed around at the time suggested the average age of MOA members skewed to the older range of both. The RR has been fighting with the GS (which was perceived as scandalously un-BMW-orthodox when first introduced) for top selling honors. I have not seen recent numbers comparing average age but suspect the gap has narrowed a bit as a result as the naked version S1000R is being introduced. The naked version will, I suspect, expand the S1000 niche even more.

The MOA has long been a safe haven for long distance touring however you define that. The GS gained more acceptance as the RTW image took hold and we began expand the idea of what constituted touring and a touring bike.

The climate for commuters and sport riders has always been a bit frosty around here no matter the age. The S1000R expands the uses for the series and may help change the climate around here at some point in the future.

The Monster line has interested me. The S1000R may edge them out on the long list of bikes I am considering. I am waiting for a while to finalize the short list. I hope BMW has released its 500cc and under line by then to see if they have something with the sport rider urban rider in mind.

I have a short list of bikes I'd like to won when I put another one in the garage.

MV Agusta Brutale 800
Ducati Monster 1200
Ducati Streetfighter 848
S1000R

So far, the MV is the leader based solely on its exclusivity.

Just need to sell a stupid race car...

S1000r MSRP?

Just stopped by dealer to see what they have and what my trades are worth. Not trading my K1600GTL. But they had a nice used 2011 K1300S. So I had them work up a figure on my 2011 Aprilia Dorsodura 750. Then they reminded me about the S1000R. would be the perfect commute bike for me. No price yet but I think it will be around $14800. Any one here about a price yet. Something to think about over the cold winter.

I've read about the dreaded vibration problems on the S 1000RR. Has anyone any experience on the 160HP S 1000R ? Have these vibration issues been resolved on the naked bike ?

I've read about the dreaded vibration problems on the S 1000RR. Has anyone any experience on the 160HP S 1000R ? Have these vibration issues been resolved on the naked bike ?

The only vibration I feel in my S1000RR is in the pegs. I do have a set of OBBs installed on the grips and a set of Throttlemeisters but there's really no vibration in the bars to speak of. My feet on the other hand start to tingle a bit after a 400 mile day on the RR. I only notice it on straight roads. I'm moving around on the bike too much to notice any vibration when the road gets twisty ;)

Saw it (S1000R) today when I went in for service.
Customer was taking delivery.
It was the blue and it was very impressive.
Naked madness.
I likey.
Bet they sell

2014-BMW-S1000R-blue-L.jpg

Saw it (S1000R) today when I went in for service.
Customer was taking delivery.
It was the blue and it was very impressive.
Naked madness.
I likey.
Bet they sell

2014-BMW-S1000R-blue-L.jpg

I think they are selling well. I sat on one when my bike was in for service early this year. They are really sweet. Would love to own one but cant justify buying one with 2 bikes in the garage.

Just ordered mine for pickup on Saturday. Red S1000R with dynamic package. Replacing my R1200R with it. The GSA and my R were same motor, not enough difference between them (even though R was sportier, the S1KR is more so).

Makes my 6th BMW motorcycle since joining the MOA back in 1997.

new bike old guy

Just picked up my dark blue metallic S1000R from BMW of Jacksonville. So far, so good. Reminds me of my old 2010 Ninja 1000 in size and gearing, but the electronics are vastly different. And real cruise control on a sport bike? Priceless. Very (very) fast bike...mucho insurance premiums compared with quieter bikes. Still...I'm happy with it. Life is short. Don't wait too long.

Back