• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hot weather gloves

flyrider

Morning Person
Leather gloves irritate my skin in hot weather, due to sweat being retained. Anyone use textile motorcycle gloves for this reason? What brand?

I have used several kinds of summer gloves over the years.

My first experience was in the desert southwest in the early 1980's. The heat was incredible and riding without gloves was unsafe and would lead to bad sunburn. So, I bought a cheap pair of cotton work gloves that had sticky beads on the inner fingers and palm. They did the job, but would have provided virtually no protection in an accident.

Currently I have both Fieldsheer and OSI hot weather fabric gloves.

The Fieldsheer gloves have very little "armor", but vented very well in 20,000 summer miles. The OSI are better padded, but do not vent quite as well. The OSI also came in HiViz and I have about 5000 miles on them.

I have been willing to trade some of the protection for the venting of fabric gloves...a choice you will need to make for yourself.

Not exactly what you asked but I have been using HELD Titans this summer and have no compliants about them. The leathers they use make them feel and wear far better than cheaper leather gloves I have. So far tons of 90+ days and a good number of 100+ days.

NCS

Held Air Hero gloves are by far the most comfortable warm-weather gloves I've ever worn. Unfortunately, they fell apart after a month's use. That doesn't speak well to their ability to protect one's hands in a crash.

I just picked up a pair of BMW's Rallye GS gloves. The fit is good, but I haven't used them enough to form an opinion yet.

I am a sweater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hands, when inside leather gloves and bombarded by 50-80mph wind don't get damp?

Go to harbor freight or a regular auto parts supply house and get a pair of "mechanics" gloves. You won't break the bank on a pair and they should last the riding season. They have a nice semi padded palm with a suede style material. It has decent grip on the handle bars and lets air through the back for cooling.

I use a pair of BMW "Summer Rain" gloves for the hottest part of summer. Otherwise I use Aerostich wool lined elk guantlets. They are made of elk hide on the palm side, deer hide on the back and lined with merino wool. Honestly, I can wear them all year including subfreezing temperatures in the high desert winter, but wear the BMW gloves in the summer just to minimize the wear on the Aerostich gloves, which are quite expensive.
I am a sweat factory and even in hot weather the lined gauntlets are comfortable, probably because of the natural fiber lining. The BMW gloves do not feel as nice but are workable enough. At least they are not made in China. Aerostich has a variety of lined and unlined elk hide gloves, all of which are American made.

Love my black elk hide gloves. The hide is all sides, and they're unlined. Don't know who made them - I "think" I got them at the Gillette rally, from a company in Oregon or Washington?
I'd buy them again - better wearing than my leather gloves, more comfy, and no black stains when they get wet (after the first time, at least...). I'd go for the gel inserts next time.

I just picked up a pair of BMW's Rallye GS gloves. The fit is good, but I haven't used them enough to form an opinion yet.

I've got those gloves. I've had them several years. Air flow is good and the gloves are holding up very well.

Harry

I got some Held Air Stream (now called Air Hero) last summer. They are not the best vented gloves I've ever worn but they sure look like they will provide some high level of protection. Venting is OK and a fair trade for the safety of a well-made and designed glove. I think I paid $120 which is a lot for me but, again, a fair trade. The Held site says the Air Hero is sold-out for 2012but maybe a supplier still has some.

pete

Well I took a chance and ordered some AGV Sport Sonora gloves - a textile glove with synthetic leather palm that I found after doing a search online. Air vents built into back of hand and fingers. Pretty fair padding as well. Just received today, so haven't tried on the bike. May report after I do....thanks for all the ideas.

Icon 2.0

I use the ICON 2.0. It's a great summer mesh glove. The current model is the Icon Justice Mesh http://j.mp/IconJusticeMesh

It is very cool, protects well (I had a get-off a couple year ago on my prior pair, they didn't come off, a protected me completely).

Held Airstream Gloves. Lots of air but very good protection as well with the Kevlar. Most summer gloves are worthless if you actually go down.

I use the ICON 2.0. It's a great summer mesh glove. The current model is the Icon Justice Mesh http://j.mp/IconJusticeMesh

It is very cool, protects well (I had a get-off a couple year ago on my prior pair, they didn't come off, a protected me completely).

+1 on Icon. I don't have recent ones but what I've got are great and have gone three seasons and are doing the Energizer bunny thing.

+1 on the Held Airstream.

The protection is very good for a summer glove and there's nothing like the feel of the kangaroo leather on the fingers and palm. I like the feel so much, I bought the Held Steve II gloves for fall and spring!

Contrary to a few reports I have seen, both glove models have held up very well and I certainly can't complain a whit about the quality...

I really wish I'd taken more pictures of the Helds before I sent them back to Revzilla. Suffice it to say, that in a month (7,000 miles or so) of riding, they were falling to pieces, and I wouldn't think they'd do well in a crash.

In this picture, you can see the leather delaminating from the kevlar, the "Held" logo falling off of the fingers, and the threads becoming unraveled from the palm of the glove. This was after about 2-1/2 weeks of use.

As I said, hands-down the most comfortable gloves I've ever worn. It's a shame the build quality was so poor.

IMG_1458.jpg

I really wish I'd taken more pictures of the Helds before I sent them back to Revzilla...{snip}

Yipes!

You know, I have about 3,000 miles (~6 mos of riding) on mine and haven't seen anything like that happen. Then again, I've never put 7,000 miles in 2.5 weeks on anything but a car. Just wondering...how much of the 2.5 weeks were they used in the rain, if at all?

Sorry about your experience. :( I hope RevZilla treated you right. I've had nothing but outstanding experiences with them.

Yipes!

You know, I have about 3,000 miles (~6 mos of riding) on mine and haven't seen anything like that happen. Then again, I've never put 7,000 miles in 2.5 weeks on anything but a car. Just wondering...how much of the 2.5 weeks were they used in the rain, if at all?

Sorry about your experience. :( I hope RevZilla treated you right. I've had nothing but outstanding experiences with them.

Not much rain, a few sprinkles and one quick (20 minute) downpour. Revzilla was awesome. They credited me as soon as the tracking number hit UPS's system.

I've got half a mind to get another pair, as I really loved how comfortable the gloves were. But truthfully the Lee Parks Deertours aren't hateful in the heat, and I picked up the BMW GS gloves cheap, so I'll see how they do.

+1 on the Held Airstream.

The protection is very good for a summer glove and there's nothing like the feel of the kangaroo leather on the fingers and palm. I like the feel so much, I bought the Held Steve II gloves for fall and spring!

The BMW Rallye2 gloves do have Kangaroo leather palms.

I have a pair of Held gloves with Kangaroo leather, with metal sliders and gauntlets. Those are my cooler weather gloves.

Harry

Back