• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Last Return to Shiloh Rally

bmwmotowoman

Hope to see many of you at the last Return to Shiloh rally. We will continue the rally after this year but we have to find a new location. It is Oct. 5 until Oct. 7.
:brad

Wow, first I've heard of this. Did the TVA finally run you out?

I figured as much when the started renovating the campground.

I always liked the location, good luck finding a new one. I won't miss the pulp mill!!

We're with You...

What k12lts said, we won't miss the pulp mill either. Looking forward to the next great location. You find it and plan it, we will come!

Wow, nice community relations, TVA. :rolleyes

Sorry this is happening to y'all.

As a Georgia club leader, I've tried to help our club always have a Plan B for the rally site, as nothing is forever. Unfortunately, we never seem to get around to that.

Ian

Campground fees ??

Sorry to hear you have to relocate- we had to move the venue for the "Georgia Mtn. Rally" a few years ago and ended up much better off facilities wise at our new location.
I read the link to the RAMS article but am struggling to figure out the various camping area rates, on my last visit the "pine tree area' was pretty full, so I ended up camping near the river. For some reason it also meant I could legally drink beer (??) just by being between the access road and the river- strange set up, heard horror stories of folks having to pour their beer out when accosted by park police or something.....
Anyway, how will I know which is the cheap ($8?) camping area so I don't get ripped off ($26) per night?
Hope to be there,
Ian :drink

38th Return to Shiloh Rally - LAST Rally By A Dam Site

Dear BMW Friends;

For 38 years, The BMW RAMS have hosted the RETURN TO SHILOH RALLY at the Pickwick Dam TVA Campground. Historically, we have been able to negotiate agreements with the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) to ensure adequate camping for our rally guests at a cost that allowed for a reasonable rally fee.

Unfortunately, there has been a change in direction at the Knoxville TVA headquarters. TVA has decided to court a different type of camper as found in motor homes and camper trailers. In response, the TVA upgraded the primitive camping loop at Pickwick Dam TVA Campground and has refused to discuss any camping options with us. We encountered a similar situation in rally planning last year. Fortunately, the rally was salvaged in the final weeks when the TVA agreed to rent the middle loop so we could provide camping. However, there is no viable option this year, as the TVA personnel are not returning telephone calls and are no longer responding to e-mails from RAMS members.

Due to these ongoing issues with the TVA, and in spite of the wonderful support shown by the local community, the RAMS have been forced to move the Return to Shiloh Rally to another location next year (2013). We plan to have this new site ready to announce at the closing ceremonies at this year's Return to Shiloh Rally.

The uncertainty of what the camping fee would be, and the attendant inability to set an appropriate rally fee, has caused us to decide that this year the Return to Shiloh Rally will have no rally fee. We would have the usual Rally Amenities (Coffee, Door Prizes, Self-Guided Tours, Bike Show, Flea Market, Firewood, Band, etc.).

Each Rally Attendee will be responsible for paying their own camping fees and paying for their own Bar-B-Q dinner on Saturday night.

This will allow us to conduct the Return to Shiloh Rally this year without imposing an undue expense on the rally attendees. It is estimated that the out of pocket cost to each attendee for camping will be in the $24.00 to $28.00 range, depending on where they camp and for how long. This compares well with our previous rally fee of $30.00.

We realize that this is an unusual step to take but we feel that it is the fairest way to wind down what has become a very difficult arrangement with the TVA.

Please join us October 5 - 7, 2012 as we prepare to leave the ÔÇ£Best Rally by a Dam Site", enroute to a new rally home!

Regards,
Spencer Bennett
Secy/Treas. BMWRAMS
http://www.bmwrams.com

Attachments

• rts2011_smokey.jpg
    rts2011_smokey.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 45
Back