• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Volunteer shortage

Volunteers:

Sedalia was only my second National. I volunteered this time (twice...got my collectible black macho security T-shirt!) and will do it again. But it struck me that the National rally is so professionally run that many younger/ first time rally attendees may not recognize the need for all those unsung volunteeers behind the scene. (I've been a director in a small local chapter, and there everything revolves around the volunteers. The black "volunteer" buttons handed out at rally registration were a start, but maybe going to a single color volunteer shirt...same color with subgroup printed on the back?...would also make it more apparent that the rally absolutely relies on the hundreds of volunteers.

Sedalia was only my second National. I volunteered this time (twice...got my collectible black macho security T-shirt!) and will do it again. But it struck me that the National rally is so professionally run that many younger/ first time rally attendees may not recognize the need for all those unsung volunteeers behind the scene. (I've been a director in a small local chapter, and there everything revolves around the volunteers. The black "volunteer" buttons handed out at rally registration were a start, but maybe going to a single color volunteer shirt...same color with subgroup printed on the back?...would also make it more apparent that the rally absolutely relies on the hundreds of volunteers.

Great suggestion about a single colored shirt! You should suggest it to the new Rally Chairs for Salem. I know the Security guys suffered a bit in those black shirts.

Also, while volunteering is important, and at times I struggled to get enough personnel (I and George needed well over 120+) to fill Gates assignments, not everyone needs or can volunteer. Some go to the Rally simply to relax - good for them. Others have physical issues that prevent them from helping with many duties - understandable.

Though as Chairs, we sometimes stress out to fill our ranks with needed members, we somehow manage to get the job done, given a pool of 5,000 or so.

Hey - if a single shirt with appropriate committee names becomes a reality, please make it both light and bright! :german

+1 on the colored shirt.

Great way of acknowledging the volunteers while showing everyone just how many volunteers it takes. When you walk around and see such a huge number of identical bright shirts it will really becomes that much more apparent to those that have not volunteered what it takes to run the rally and hopefully swing them in the right direction.

This was the first year I volunteered. I will do so again. I did 2 nights on gate 12. Saw most of the bikes as they came in and saw a couple of guys bump fairings.Mostly I saw happy people!And I got a hat and a couple of Tee shirts!

It was fun doing the gates with you Layton! Three shifts for me - two on gate 12 and an add-on at gate 6A. This was my second year volunteering at the international rally and for me it's a wonderful way to get involved and meet others in a more one-on-one manner which is what I'm more comfortable with. I also volunteered to help with some of the set-up which was also a heap of fun. The next international rally I go to... I'll definitely be among the volunteers. :clap

Louise

Volunteers

I was the lucky person who "Chaired" the volunteer committee. I - and my co-chair Paul - spent the whole rally at the volunteers table, trying to recruit volunteers.

Here are some of my reflections and thoughts:

>>The total attendance this year was 5300.
That makes for a much smaller pool of people to draw volunteers from.

>>Shifts cannot all be set at 2 hours, or 3 hours. Sometimes the practicality of how the tasks need to be accomplished must be the determining factor.

>>True volunteers do it for the sheer enjoyment of giving back. The pin, or cup cozy, or t-shirt, or cap doesn't make a difference.

>>Without our volunteers, this rally would cease to exist as we know it.

We already hire private security for night time on-grounds and gates. We hire data entry temps for awards and tallies. But - this is a member-driven event. When you volunteer, you are working with another brother or sister. And if you play your cards right, they will become your long-time friend and riding buddy. Also, Volunteering offers a another level of "ownership" in the rally and in the club. The more you volunteer, the more it is your club.

So - when you go to the rally, volunteer - or don't volunteer. It's your choice. But I think you will find that most times, volunteering actually enhances your experience and your fun.

This was my 26th BMW MOA National Rally, and I've volunteered at every single one. What a joy! I have more friends all over the country now than I ever would have imagined prior to 1987.

I am happy to pay my way into the rally and get a chance at winning a door prize. I am happy to support my club in any way I can.

volunteers

Well said Sue.
This was my second rally and I SHOCKED my wife by volunteering. Not because I'm selfish or anything, but because I went there alone (which was a challenge for me) and I am simply not an outgoing person. I don't do well in crowds or with new people... but I wanted to challenge myself and did so.. and I had a great time! I worked the charging station and felt great about doing whatever I could to help people, many about things that had nothing to do with charging. I see this as a good boost for me to take the effort to do more of it in the future. So sometimes it can be about pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone. But I also have to thank the other members that I did have the time to engage with, for had they not been so open and friendly my experience may have had a different outcome.

Sedalia Volunteer

I did my first volunteer work on Saturday morning at the rally as the guy on the back of the tram. Had a blast with the people riding on it! Two hour shift was perfect.

I only regret that I did not volunteer for this earlier. But by the time Saturday morning came, I was able to help a lot of the newcomers with where they wanted to go. The Sedalia fairgrounds is a confusing place initially with it's size and all of it's buildings. But I can see why it was picked.

The fairgrounds could handle more people, but I think there would be a lot of traffic problems if say there were as many as 3,000 or more additional attendees. The trams were running full a lot of the time.

Seems like the rally organizers and all of us would benefit by repeating the rallys at a few of the locations. Every year the organization is faced with a whole new set of logistics to figure out instead of meeting at a past site and being able to improve on what you learned there from previous rallys.

I am with Sue. I did not volunteer for the hat the did not fit, or the t shirt, I did it to help out. I also do not mind being told what to do.

The person that stepped over that line in Oshkosh and yelled at me because 2 people out of 1500 got through the gate on Friday evening not knowing where registration was, kills that type of spirit, IMO.
:nod
I think those are very acceptable numbers, considering what we faced that night.

Didn't get a hat, didn't get a t-shirt, didn't care - just had a GREAT time in the beer tent!

Our president told us "Our club is covering the noon to 4pm shift tomorrow", and we just showed up. Had so much fun doing it, I jumped in for a couple more shifts!

You must be one of the "Dinks". Thank you very much. A great bunch, and nice job all around.
If that wasn't your group, well...thank you anyway!

MAD DOG
Beer Chair:drink

Back