• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you wear ATGATT?

No. I heard of the ATGATT advantages when I started riding. But years of daily riding in Southern California (no optional cage), lots of triple digit temperatures, disabused me of such notions. If I thought about how miserable I was, my mind would not have been on the job of dealing with millions of maniacs daily. Not to mention that, if you have nowhere to stow your expensive ATGATT when you get where you are going, it will soon part company with you. Always boots, gloves, as those are guaranteed to hit first, if nothing else does.
Dumbest thing I ever did living down there was to buy a black helmet - that got replaced quickly!

Olympia Airglide mesh tech jacket with armor, BMW City Pants 2 with armor, Olympia leather gloves, Shoei Multitech helmet, BMW Allround boots.

If you like to ride naked, come up to Portland, Oregon.
They have an annual naked bicycle ride. For the most part, the cops look the other way.

This is something I want to see especially if there are a lot of good looking guys... :D

I have to say that I am surprised by the posts on this thread. I've always been under the impression that BMW riders are more the ATGATT crowd than not? So it seems among our own, about 1/3 of us are not? Hmmm..maybe a poll would have been good, but it does seem that there are a lot of versions of gear so it wouldn't have been a cut and dry answer!!

Same here.
When we were within 50 miles or so of arriving at the National and seeing other BMWs, we were surprised of the number of riders out on the road without jackets, and a few even had on shorts.
ATGATT for me and my wife. We wear leather most of the time and have a couple textile jackets we'll wear from time to time.

If commuting to work -ATGATT
If riding around the neighborhood on the trusty R60/6 to do errands - helmet, shorts, gloves, hard-soled shoes (i.e. I don't ride with tennis shoes).

MOTGATT.

About the only thing I don't do all the time is the textile overpants. I have a couple pairs of double kneed Carharts but I think I'm going to invest in a couple pairs of armored pants. Some sort of jacket (mesh or other armored), helmet, gloves. Feels funny without the stuff on.

Helmet always, even where it's not the law, and usually jeans... I've worn shorts a couple of times when it was really hot and got the equivalent of sunburn on my shins from hot air off the engine. When it's 95+ from noon to 8 pm every freakin' day in June, July and August, I can't get comfortable in a jacket and gloves.

Donning all that stuff means I don't take short rides. For a trip I can't make longer I use the car, and don't ride as much as I would like. The price I pay.

+1

Held Gloves (summer)
Motoport Mesh Pants & Jacket
Scorpion EXO 1000 Helmet
Sidi Boots
Diki - summer - prevents sunburnt neck; in spring & fall they keep neck warm

Exception: If the bikes are parked for the day in a neighbour's driveway, 3 houses away, I'll wear just the helmet and gloves to bring them home. Wife laughs at this clothing combination.

Stayed off bikes for 33 years after working in hospital operating theatres, seeing injured (non-ATGATT) riders - not pretty sights.

Back