• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you wear ATGATT?

I'm another old fart, and always wear ATGATT. Was recently reminded just how fragile is my skin when on a hot summer day in Virginia I stepped from a low light interior into a bright sun and missed the 1st and only step - about 3 inches - and hit the asphalt parking lot. Wearing only a T shirt, my right forearm, took most of the fall, receiving abrasion from wrist to elbow. Only took 2 days for the pain to subside, and 2 weeks to completely heal. Multiply that small area and those durations by who knows what number to find the time to recover from a fall at 20, or 30, or 60 mph. I'm a believer.

Tee shirts/shorts

Without being grossly offensive....I usually tell the Tee-shirt/ shorts/flip flop crowd....that I'd rather look good being wheeled into the ER...than lookin' "cool" on the street.....I don't think they understand....:dunno

Atgatt

Weather/type of riding controls gear choice. I have been slowly buying gear to fit all riding types and as much of the weather as can be done.

On the track or being a touch naughty on the sportbike - Alpinstar full leathers/full kit + shoei X11 and Dainese Back Armor.

On any of the bikes when it's too hot for leathers - Revit Tornado Mesh suit/ full kit + shoei X11 or Multitec. I adjust adventure factor down a bit since I don't trust this suit as much as leathers. If it's cool/cold out, I go with the leathers everytime.

On GSA if it's not scalding - BMW Rally 3 suit + full Kit. Shoei Multitec. If hot, the mesh wins again.

I've caught myself twice saying it's only a block to my buddy's house and MAKE myself put at least the mesh suit on!

Been down in jeans in the early 80's and truly know better. At 19 years old, I used a 6' cyclone fence as a squiddley trampoline and although there was no permanent damage, a lesson was learned...

ATGATT always.

Armoured textile jacket and pants, full helmet, leather gauntlet gloves and leather boots.

Tested it all out 10 years ago, totalled bike, totalled riding suit, helmet and gloves, walked away bruised and shaken, however I did walk away.......Rod.

I'm a MOTGATT.

Helmet, gloves, jacket of some kind, and over the ankle boots.

I only wear the riding pants when going longer distances, or when the temps are cooler. My boots are not motorcycle-specific riding boots, but rather good, over the ankle hikers.

I'm fully aware of any risks that I may be taking.

A couple that I know were going out to get some takeout. Only a 5 minute ride with another couple. 2 bikes, 2 up. She was wearing flipflops, tank top, husband similar. Something happened, bikes collided. She has severe roadrash and other injuries, husband in medically induced coma, other rider severely fractured leg and other injuries. This couples children were waiting for them to come home with the food. Got tired of waiting and went out to get it themselves and came across the crash scene.

I got this from her mother. Happened last Sunday. So many people affected by this.

Helmet-always with out fail
Boots-some kind of non lace boot always. Ever get a shoe string caught on the shifter lever?
Gloves-always, the K vibrates to bad to ride with out!
Long pants-jeans. always
Jacket, only to keep warm, other wise long sleeve shirt. Dont like the wind blowing on my arms
Padded/armored pants-don't own a pair

I'm fully aware of the risk I take for road rash when I crash, but my skull is a different thing. I will always protect it.

No, I do not wear ATGATT. On warm (9 months of the year) trips/commutes, I go in (in the dark) in an armored jacket or hi-viz traffic coat, and usually wear gloves, returning in shirtsleeves, no jacket, no gloves. On cool trips/commutes, I wear a Taylor's Leather police motor jacket and leathers, and gloves. I almost always wear boots, be they dress or duty. I have gone from full helmets, to half helmets, back to full helmets. I find full helmets to be almost as cool as half helmets if you work the visor, and having been hit in the face by a flying can, a few rocks, and various bugs, it's just a little more sustainable for someone that rides as much as I do. I still commit the mortal sin of tooling around near home on the weekend in shorts and a half helmet.

ATGATT - even traveling within the fairgrounds at Bloomsburg last year, my then boyfriend didn't want me on the bike without it!! I went around my block a few weeks ago without anything on and felt like I was breaking the law, even though I technically wasn't!!

I commute almost every day to work (50 miles R/T) and I have to say I don't wear my custom ear plugs on the commute. Everywhere else, I do.

I have to say that I am surprised by the posts on this thread. I've always been under the impression that BMW riders are more the ATGATT crowd than not? So it seems among our own, about 1/3 of us are not? Hmmm..maybe a poll would have been good, but it does seem that there are a lot of versions of gear so it wouldn't have been a cut and dry answer!!

I have to say that I am surprised by the posts on this thread. I've always been under the impression that BMW riders are more the ATGATT crowd than not? So it seems among our own, about 1/3 of us are not? Hmmm..maybe a poll would have been good, but it does seem that there are a lot of versions of gear so it wouldn't have been a cut and dry answer!!

It's my experience that you find similar stratification with pretty much all brands.

ATGATT all the time. Always custom earplugs too.
Why on earth would I risk my body and my life unneccissarily. Motoorcycling is dangerous enough on its own with road hazards and people in cages.

I went around my block a few weeks ago without anything on and felt like I was breaking the law, even though I technically wasn't!!

Interesting. Around here riding naked would be against the law. Where do you live? :whistle

Count me in the MTGATT group. Aria Profile helmet, First Gear mesh jacket, ear plugs, BMW Allround boots, elk skin roper gloves, and jeans for daily commuting. Leather or armored textile pants for longer rides and winter commuting.

If you like to ride naked, come up to Portland, Oregon.
They have an annual naked bicycle ride. For the most part, the cops look the other way.

No. Depends on the weather, the distance I'm going, and how aggressive I'm feeling. On a recent 2500 mile trip down to Tennessee, I wore full armor from head to toe for all highway sections, but I ditched the jacket when it was 85 and we were just cruising down the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45mph for hours on end. I do openly admit that it was a bit risky with wildlife, blind corners, and deep drop offs, but I find that sweating my butt off detracts from the enjoyment sufficiently that my discomfort won out over the added safety of my jacket. I was wearing a long sleeve riding jersey to fend off some of the sun exposure though. There's really nothing that I would consider mandatory all the time for me. I'll gladly zip around back roads on a CT70 with nothing more than shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers if I can find a 1972 model in metallic orange. Oh...eye protection...I won't ride anything anywhere without eye protection. I don't think there's a catchy acronym for that though. ( :

I got ATGATT 95%. Boots, jacket, pants, helmet, and gloves. All armored in the correct areas. There are two conditions where I do not suit up all the way. If I am running out to fuel up the bike for the next morning's commute. The gas station is around one corner, less than 1/8 mile away. The other is on near 100 degree and over days. There is just no air flowing to the rider on an LT. In both cases, the jacket is not worn. If I wear everything on a 100 degree day, I am good for about 30 miles, then I have to stop, find some A/C, and have a few glasses of water.

Interesting. Around here riding naked would be against the law. Where do you live? :whistleQUOTE]

Haha...I guess the true meaning of what I wrote could have been taken that way!! I live deep in Amish country!! I'd be giving some of those young boys who ride their scooters and bicycles everywhere the time of their life if I did that!! :jawdrop

Back