• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Wyoming's Snowy Range

sfarson

If a lonely twisting and sweeping ride, with ascents and descents, through an ultra scenic setting has a way with you, perhaps you already know about the Snowy Range in southern Wyoming. Mentioned this to a friend yesterday who knows Wyoming well and he replied after the Tetons, he thought this was the most scenic place in the state. Hmmmm... anyway, a few pics and a vid.

At an overlook I noticed this marker stone...
medicinebowmonument_tm.jpg

The details...
medicinebowplaque.jpg

Wow. Well, I had to find out the details. The tale is told well here... http://www.dailyyonder.com/how-it-ended-medicine-bow-peak/2009/03/25/2020

Medicine Bow Peak is to the left here. The riding through this landscape is special...
r1200rtmedicinebow2_hdr.jpg

To the left/west from the image above, here is the invite...
medicinebow3_tm.jpg

A pause at one of the numerous crystalline lakes scattered throughout this high place...
r1200rtmedicinebow4_hdr.jpg

And if having five minutes before moving on to something important
lol.gif
, here's a vid to and through the Snowy Range...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WYM0pDDEdZw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Well, you're working late again, Steve. :)

Duncan seems like your kind of guy, and I suppose that peak will be on your list of "to do" hikes. Sunrise on October 6, at Laramie is 7:05 A.M. so the aircraft must have been in IMC.

I don't remember this one from my childhood; thanks for posting.

Well, someone else is up in the wee hours of the morning as well!

Yes, how about that crash. One doesn't come across this kind of marker often so it can cause one to pause. And reflect.

Well, someone else is up in the wee hours of the morning as well!

Yes, how about that crash. One doesn't come across this kind of marker often so it can cause one to pause. And reflect.

For years Snowy Range was a personal quest.:) On one of my early rides out west, Jerry planned the trip, and not knowing of all the great riding, I had one request....Snowy Range. I had seen pictures on a calendar, and wanted to take the loop. Unfortunately it was early in the year, and when we turned off the interstate, the sign indicated the road was closed 30 miles ahead....drat...No Snowy Range that year....It never dropped off my radar, and several years later we went back...it was cold, windy with freezing rain, snow. A couple of years later we tried again....same thing. In 2001, I was riding to CA and made another attempt...this time I was actually able to camp in a Natl forest CG (I think Libbey Creek). I was fortunate to have chosen that (despite the millions of mosquitoes), because the rest of the CG were snowed in...I've been back several times since then, and you may have guessed, it's one of my favorite places... I usually just ride through, but last year we hiked some trails. It's truly an undiscovered area, as there never seems to be much traffic....next ....camping at Vedauwoo. (unfotunately the pine bark beetle has devasted the area :(
338167217_CA8wh-M.jpg

985645930_4afqt-M.jpg

Karol... That is a great tale, of atttempts and attempts, and then... done! In a way, makes it all the more special. It is a deeply scenic place isn't it. I also rode through after pausing for the markers and pics, continuing on to the great WY 70 "Battle Highway" over Battle Pass. A tremendous riding road.

I encountered the crash site of a B-47 bomber near the top of Wright Peak in the Adirondacks of NY while on a hiking trip:

http://www.adirondack-park.net/history/b47.wright.html

Every square inch of the crash site had bits and pieces of wreckage, popped rivets, small bits of wire, and then there were the larger pieces like landing gear and engine parts.

I didn't know about the crash site until I stumbled upon it. The plane missed clearing the mountain by less than 100 feet, as I recall.

Harry

Wow! That ride belongs on our list. Steve, are you starting on another book? (hope hope hope)

Last edited:
Back