• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Great rally, one downer

1TOMMAC

My son Christopher and grandson Cooper joined me at the rally this year, my 7th and their 1st! We all had a great time! They drove from Minnesota, and I came from Arkansas. Since we had family in Sedalia it was also a homecoming. Thanks to all who made this happen. Now for the downer: We were sitting in the beer garden Saturday afternoon with our new friend Toby from Canada, and Vince Winkle and a lady sat down next to us. I told Christopher who he was, so Chris goes over to say hi. Mr. Winkle says "What do you want to GRIPE about?:dunno

Lots of people think they know more about how to do a magazine than Vince. And at a rally they all converge. A saint might make a wisecrack when he or she saw somebody coming.

One might ask why you had your grandson in a beergarten also.....
Do you take him into bars with you too?

People have a right to their privacy. Sometimes people just want to be left alone. Sometimes people, seated with a lady, are having a personal and intimate conversation.
It's rude to butt in.
You can try it, by politely asking, but if you are rebuffed, you must accept it.
dc

Paul, Kevin's post came up before yours and I replied. You are one of my heroes in the MOA and I don't wish to antagonize your or Keven. I saw Vince at Spokane and said Hi as we passed. He ignored me. Seems we have a pattern, at least to me and my family.

A better location and manner would include a private conversation with Vince in person, on the phone, perhaps a private message or an email. Calling a person an offensive name on a public forum is juvenile and speaks more about your character than Vince's. I've seen Vince respond to other criticisms on the forum before. He has done so in a polite, direct and open manner. I suggest you approach him in the same manner and you may just get a response that changes your opinion of the man.

As to not being sure about me.... many have used such terms to describe me in the past, so you may be on to something.

I've never met or spoken to the man. Fan is too strong a word but I think he does his job well. You have not offended me in any way, so all is well.

I met Vince at the rally

I met Vince for the first time this year. I was working in the same room as he was. He had enough problems with the damned printer to make anyone go nuts; but he kept his cool. He did a great job getting the printer working and getting all the signs printed out for us to post.

I feel like I made a friend; too bad for you that you took a different tack.

I met Vince for the first time this year. I was working in the same room as he was. He had enough problems with the damned printer to make anyone go nuts; but he kept his cool. He did a great job getting the printer working and getting all the signs printed out for us to post.

I feel like I made a friend; too bad for you that you took a different tack.

I wish they'd buy Vince a new printer.. he had the same sort of problem in Johnson City - and it was HOT in the room he was working in. Someone email the board and ask for a new poster printer for Vince W..

MOA Employees

Might need to stop and consider that the employees of MOA, work almost year round to put on this rally, they have to miss other rallies to meet deadlines, they work long hours and weekends in the few months coming into the rally to oil the machine. Plus work at the rally and put out fires when needed. Although some of the volunteers have previous knowledge, some don't - they need to be helped out at times also. As Paul pointed out, public 'figures' are fair game when they are out among the masses. Whether it was intentional rudeness (which I can't imagine), or just needed some personal down time, I personally feel your name calling is totally inappropriate.

Karen Smith

Might need to stop and consider that the employees of MOA, work almost year round to put on this rally, they have to miss other rallies to meet deadlines, they work long hours and weekends in the few months coming into the rally to oil the machine. Plus work at the rally and put out fires when needed. Although some of the volunteers have previous knowledge, some don't - they need to be helped out at times also. As Paul pointed out, public 'figures' are fair game when they are out among the masses. Whether it was intentional rudeness (which I can't imagine), or just needed some personal down time, I personally feel your name calling is totally inappropriate.

Karen Smith

Adding to Karen's post, I'd also like to remind everyone that those who volunteer at the rally are giving up their time to enjoy it. I willingly gave my time and efforts to the GS Giants. As a result, I never got to see a seminar. Missed every Anvil Shoot, every presentation, and every planned ride. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that that there were things I'd have liked to do and see but my time was committed elsewhere. I'm sure it was the same for Vince and all other volunteers and this should be taken into consideration by the nay-sayers.

I wish they'd buy Vince a new printer.. he had the same sort of problem in Johnson City - and it was HOT in the room he was working in. Someone email the board and ask for a new poster printer for Vince W..

Don,

I don't think it's the printer per se.

I think it is the responsibility of the paid IT staff to make sure Vince is good to go. Vince isn't a computer guy, he's an Editor.

A Fun Event For Some . . . . .

I think everyone attends the rallies for cameraderie, beer, good seminars and hopefully some new adventures.
I have worked Johnson City and Bloomsburg as sign chair once and assistant sign chair. Please remember we're there to have a good time and the MOA crew and volunteers are there to help assure a good time.
It is not a fun job creating, placing, replacing, adjusting and retrieving signs . . . it is a buttload of work.
I can attest that Vince Winkel is a great guy and he handles an amazing amount of responsibility with aplomb. He is a true professional. I wish I had his creativity.
It is a lot of work to pack up that tractor trailer and do the great job they produce.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Last edited:

I talked with Vince right after the printer broke. This thing just wasn't made to lug around in a truck from rally to rally and expect it to work every time. The repair guy had to come down from Kansas City, so lots of valuable time was lost just when we needed it most.

Vince is a little rough on the outside and a teddy bear on the inside. By Saturday, heat and exhaustion was probably just getting the better of him. :banghead

OK...I'am sorry for the post. Vince has too many admirers! Should have kept my thoughts to myself. I did tell my son when it happened that Vince was probably just tired.

Back