Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great rally, one downer

Great rally, one downer

My son Christopher and grandson Cooper joined me at the rally this year, my 7th and their 1st! We all had a great time! They drove from Minnesota, and I came from Arkansas. Since we had family in Sedalia it was also a homecoming. Thanks to all who made this happen. Now for the downer: We were sitting in the beer garden Saturday afternoon with our new friend Toby from Canada, and Vince Winkle and a lady sat down next to us. I told Christopher who he was, so Chris goes over to say hi. Mr. Winkle says "What do you want to GRIPE about?

And you think that this is an appropriate manner and location to address this?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Lots of people think they know more about how to do a magazine than Vince. And at a rally they all converge. A saint might make a wisecrack when he or she saw somebody coming.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Give me a better location and manner. The deal is, Vince is an ass. I'm not sure about you.

One might ask why you had your grandson in a beergarten also.....
    Do you take him into bars with you too?
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

People have a right to their privacy. Sometimes people just want to be left alone. Sometimes people, seated with a lady, are having a personal and intimate conversation.
    It's rude to butt in.
    You can try it, by politely asking, but if you are rebuffed, you must accept it.
    dc

Paul, Kevin's post came up before yours and I replied. You are one of my heroes in the MOA and I don't wish to antagonize your or Keven. I saw Vince at Spokane and said Hi as we passed. He ignored me. Seems we have a pattern, at least to me and my family.

Who's Vince Winkle?

A better location and manner would include a private conversation with Vince in person, on the phone, perhaps a private message or an email. Calling a person an offensive name on a public forum is juvenile and speaks more about your character than Vince's. I've seen Vince respond to other criticisms on the forum before. He has done so in a polite, direct and open manner. I suggest you approach him in the same manner and you may just get a response that changes your opinion of the man.

As to not being sure about me.... many have used such terms to describe me in the past, so you may be on to something.
    Kevin Huddy

Good question. I probably should not have upset the apple cart.

Kevin, Your are correct. I sincerely apologize to all of Vince's fans out there and to you.

I've never met or spoken to the man. Fan is too strong a word but I think he does his job well. You have not offended me in any way, so all is well.
    Kevin Huddy

I met Vince at the rally

I met Vince for the first time this year. I was working in the same room as he was. He had enough problems with the damned printer to make anyone go nuts; but he kept his cool. He did a great job getting the printer working and getting all the signs printed out for us to post.

I feel like I made a friend; too bad for you that you took a different tack.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I met Vince for the first time this year. I was working in the same room as he was. He had enough problems with the damned printer to make anyone go nuts; but he kept his cool. He did a great job getting the printer working and getting all the signs printed out for us to post.

I feel like I made a friend; too bad for you that you took a different tack.
    I wish they'd buy Vince a new printer.. he had the same sort of problem in Johnson City - and it was HOT in the room he was working in. Someone email the board and ask for a new poster printer for Vince W..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

MOA Employees

Might need to stop and consider that the employees of MOA, work almost year round to put on this rally, they have to miss other rallies to meet deadlines, they work long hours and weekends in the few months coming into the rally to oil the machine. Plus work at the rally and put out fires when needed. Although some of the volunteers have previous knowledge, some don't - they need to be helped out at times also. As Paul pointed out, public 'figures' are fair game when they are out among the masses. Whether it was intentional rudeness (which I can't imagine), or just needed some personal down time, I personally feel your name calling is totally inappropriate.

Karen Smith