Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 1994 K75S High-pitched chirping noise when hot?

Valid enough point there, Ghyber and a path I would normally take as I am a fan of OEM parts more and more these days. It's just that I've spent so much in the last couple of weeks on getting new wheel bearings in, fork seals replaced, new fork boots and other work done by real BMW mechanics that I'm considering a generic version to tide me over.

The generics that I have seen look identical to BMWs and have nearly identical specs (37psi instead of 36psi) and are slightly less than half the cost.
    This is what I find tempting hence my query. But if I can round up enough funds soon I may play it safe and buy the $152 model after all; at least it's something that I can replace myself.

Since it is now screeching whenever the bike gets warmed up and I'm riding in slow traffic I think I will make a decision and get to work on it pretty soon (that's why someone invented credit cards).

Thanks for your input and while I may very well go your suggested route I would still like to hear from anyone who has used a generic FPR at one point or another just to get an idea of how well they work in a K bike.
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Hello Zagando,

Knowledge is power and you are right to seek for alternatives for many different reasons: availability, quality and costs are but a few that come to mind.

You should see the cost of BMW motorcycle parts up here in Canada. Most riders here have large slits in their back, that's where take gave up one of their kidneys to pay for the cost of the OEM part + 30% - 40% for the dealer plus the provincial and federal taxes on top to pay for the collusion and corrupt elected officials.

Take care,

Ghyber
    1993 K75S Mystic Red Pearl
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Question Informal survey; Use a non-OEM fuel pressure regulator?

I can well imagine; I will consider myself lucky in light of that, Ghyber. Thanks again.

Whichever way I go I'll certainly follow up here with an installation report; hoping to rustle up a review or two of the generic FPR substitution soon in case anyone following this has used one.
    ---Jeff

Chances are - BMW didn't make the FPR, and it was designed by Bosch to use with their injectors and their L-Jetronic ECU. And I'd be willing to bet it was an off-the-shelf part that was used on a car of that era.. I doubt very much if Bosch saw enough volume in K bikes to design a specific part for the FI system.

The 36PSI vs 37PSI probably means different people rounding up or down from the "Bar" measurement used in the metric measuring system.. I doubt very much if it's significant.

Right now we have people running Ford - Bosch injectors on their K bikes, Ford fuel pumps, and on some K's Ford O2 sensors. I'd bet that like the sparkplugs, if you dig around enough in BMWs car models of that era, you'll find the same identical FPR being used (like the K75 sparkplugs - used on the E30/M3 engine, or the airhead voltage regulator - used on the 2002 car, or the airhead oil pressure sender - same source..)

Sounds to me like an interesting experiment. Worst that could happen is it doesn't work and you're out the cost of the generic FPR. I can't see the FPR blowing up or causing other leaks if it's physically identical to the one on the bike.

Let us know how it works out..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Progress of sorts

Lots of good points there, Don and in my search for a replacement I heard that a VW Super Beetle 2.5 bar FPR should work. I also searched through pages and pages of Bosch FPRs on ebay but 98% of them were different enough with threaded fittings and the tops fitted with large O-rings and vents that I was wary of trying any of those.

I did run accross a Bosch FPR for Jaguars that looked the part but at around $90 I began to think why take the chance in the first place?

Now I have a line of a couple of used K75 FPRs and I'll know soon if they'll be available and of good working order. Will follow up soon.
    ---Jeff

Sudden slight change of plans!

Out of curiosity I decided to track down the original source of my FPR substitution to locate the recommended brands and part numbers.

Long story short:

Two different sources confirmed that either a Napa/Echlin 21709A

or a Standard PR134 would work fine in any early K (brick).

With further curiosity and diligent searching I also learned that the Standard PR134 is OEM equipment on many different cars ranging from late 1970s Porsche
    911s to VW Vanagon and Super Beetles as well as JEEP, AMC, Chrysler, Audi and Jaguar models in the late 1970s to mid 1980s.

Bingo!

I decided to take the plunge and try a brand new PR134. The lowest SHIPPED price was $51.08 on Amazon.com (with FREE Super-Saver Shipping) and the next best was RockAuto at $53.03. One on ebay was $64.83 with free shipping and there were a couple of places that had them as low as $47 but with shipping they were back up to $55 or thereabouts.

So one is on its way to me via Amazon and I've no doubt it will be here in a few days even though they claim their Super Saver shipping is 5-8 days. Even when I ordered things in Hawaii that way they arrived so fast I'd have to duck...

Thanks again, Don for encouraging me to try a substitution out. I'm still going to buy a used one if I can get it for dirt cheap (and it looks like I will) so at least I'll have a backup on hand from now on. I think the new Standard will be just fine as it has been used in so many different fuel injection systems over the years.

If it's good enough for Porsche, VW and Audi I reckon it'll be just fine in my beloved Berlina.

I'll give a full report once it's installed and running, too.

PS: Forgot to mention that the Standard is absolutely identical in appearance and dimensions to the OEM BMW FPR, even has the M12x1.5 mounting thread on the top.

Also, I just realized that a new OEM would cost me at least $162 with the 7% tax we pay in ABQ if purchased at the dealers so I am buying the Standard actually at less than 1/3rd the cost! Makes for a darn good argument to try one out assuming it'll work just as well, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Zagando; 10-10-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Postscript added
    ---Jeff

Installation in progress

Got all the parts required (including a new airbox lower half as one of the original spring clip mounting points had broken) and am currently installing the Standard PR134 fuel pressure regulator.

Will update again in the next day or two once it's all back together. Since I'm also reinstalling all four of my auxilliary lights that I removed just prior to some fork work it may be a little while, though. I also fabricated some new mounts for my Hella FF50s which will go onto the forward engine-to-frame mounting bolts (less weight on the fragile and somewhat rickety K75S fairing this way) and will need to reconnect and reroute some of the wiring thusly before completion.
    ---Jeff

Pictures of Replacement Part

Hello Zagando,

You should post a picture of the replacement FPR. I am sure many, including myself, would profit from your thorough experience and newly acquired knowledge on replacement parts. If the FPR is $162 in the US, I am scared to even ask how much it would sell for in Canada.

Get us some pics if you can, they are easy to post. I followed the advice of some members of this Forum and got a free Photobucket account into which I upload the pics from my computer and then "tag" them as required for various threads.

Ghyber
    1993 K75S Mystic Red Pearl
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Already have a Photobucket account and will post pix tomorrow asap; thanks for the thought, Ghislain.
    ---Jeff

OK, Ghislain; Here's a photo of the aftermarket FPR as requested.

Last night when I posted my reply I forgot to mention that my new FPR was already installed and well hidden behind the airbox---so here's a stock photo that I got off the internet when I was searching around. Although the brand of this one is Delphi it is absolutely identical right down to the silver color and style of fittings as my Standard PR134:

I'm still working on my new auxillary lights brackets and the associated rewiring but will post a report once the bike is back up and running, of course.

If it works as fine as I expect I imagine many brick riders up in Canada would be interested as you point out. Since the PR134 is made in Mexico and is a stock replacement for many imported cars you should be able to obtain them in Canadaat any auto parts chain store at prices somewhat close to the $51 I paid.
    ---Jeff

Exclamation Woeful surprise + water pump question now

Well, I got the brand-new FPR installed and guess what; the bike is still screeching like mad once it's warmed up and the fan starts to come on!

I can't tell you how disheartened I am now, after spending so much time, energy and dollars that I couldn't really afford to spend in the first place---to no avail still.

The noise seems to be coming out of the front of the engine as far as I can tell and I would say it's the fan bearings going out except for the fact that the screeching occurs sometimes before/after/during I can hear the fan going. If it was happening only when the fan is on then I'd have the answer but sadly that is not the case.

So my question now is, could it be the water/oil pump bearing going out? Has anyone had a bearing in that go out and if so, did it sound like a stuck pig? Was it intermittent over a period of months? (this actually started happening late last year in Hawaii when I was down in warm/hot sea level places---but never up in the cool rain forest where we lived at 4000 feet)

As always, any ideas or help is vastly appreciated.
    ---Jeff

3 Red Bricks
    So what was the result of the fuel pressure test that led you to replace the regulator?

I thought you said the noise was coming from the pump? You should easily be able to tell if the noise is coming from inside the tank. Open the cap and listen with your ear to the opening.

There are several bearings that could make a screeching noise, but not in the tank. Oil/water pump, alternator, transmission,and some in the intermediate housing.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Mechanics stethiscope - $4, Harbor Freight
    http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html

May seem goofy but they work surprisingly well.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Rally Rat
    This thread has got very long and I'm too lazy to read it all. Have you replaced the fuel pump?

Lee; I decided to replace the FPR after two different BMW mechanics told me it sounded like the FPR, not the fuel pump (one actually heard it squealing as I rode it into his shop and he was trained at BMW in Germany).

Ted; Guess I may have to break down and get one of those stethoscopes. I have not gotten one yet as the noise is so loud it is actually hard to pinpoint the source. I think the stethoscope might deafen me but I'll take a chance now.

Lostboy; No, still have the same pump. I'll try the open gas cap/listen test first chance I get (might have to round up my spare key first so I don't have to turn the engine off to open the tank).

Thanks for all the quick responses on this! I'll post what I find/figure out when...
    ---Jeff