• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1994 K75S High-pitched chirping noise when hot?

Zagando

BMW uber alles!
I'm getting an intermittent but fairly loud high-pitched chirping noise from somewhere under the tank when the bike gets hot.

The radiator fan seems to be working OK and the chirping is independant of that; only thing in common is that it only occurs when the bike is running hot (now living here in Albuquerque that is much more often than my previous location where I first noticed it several months ago).

I suspect a bearing somewhere; perhaps the water pump is acting up?

If anyone can shed some light on what my problem might be that would be great. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but...

Regards, Jeff

Jeff - your best bet - visit a Harbor Freight and purchase a mechanic's stethoscope. That should let you localize it.

"Under the tank" is a wide expanse of territory to guess where the noise is coming from. It could be anything from a bearing going bad somewhere, to the a plugged fuel filter (the fuel pump has a blow-off valve that chirps when it's pushing against too high a resistance.)

Try to narrow it down a bit and get back to us with your findings.

I'm getting an intermittent but fairly loud high-pitched chirping noise from somewhere under the tank when the bike gets hot.

The radiator fan seems to be working OK and the chirping is independant of that; only thing in common is that it only occurs when the bike is running hot (now living here in Albuquerque that is much more often than my previous location where I first noticed it several months ago).

I suspect a bearing somewhere; perhaps the water pump is acting up?

If anyone can shed some light on what my problem might be that would be great. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but...

Regards, Jeff

Just so I am on the same page with you, does it ever chirp when the fan is not running?

Yes, it chirps when the fan is on or off; doesn't make any difference.

It always seems to happen when I am riding or at a stoplight and only when things are hot (ambient temps as well as the bike all warmed up in stop and go traffic.

Maybe no need for a mechanic's stethoscope as I happen to have a medical stethoscope on hand (I was Dr. Mango Daiquiri come Halloween at my last job (bartender)). Perhaps it will come in handy again so I'll start carrying it with me when I go out on the bike.

Thanks, guys!

FWIW, my '87 K75s whined this past week when stopped at a traffic signal with the fan trying to keep her from overheating.

Heck, I was whining too!

Let's not confuse the whining of the fuel pump with this intermittant high-pitched chirp, please! Definitely out of the ordinary in my K-bike experience.

Let's not confuse the whining of the fuel pump with this intermittant high-pitched chirp, please! Definitely out of the ordinary in my K-bike experience.

In case you misunderstood.. the fuel pump is capable of putting out 100PSI, until it burns up or explodes IF the output is plugged up (say by a bad fuel filter.) To prevent this from happening, it has a built in blow-off valve. That valve kicks in at about 80 PSI, and when it relieves the pressure, it sounds like a chirp. As the pump keeps running, it then sounds like a series of chirps. THAT is what I was referring to - not the normal whining noise (although that does get louder as restriction builds on the output of the fuel pump.)

It's not a common noise - but it is a known noise. It may be out of the ordinary in your K-bike experience, but it is not out of the ordinary for everyone's k-bike experience.

YMMV.. (but not a lot.)

OK, Don, Thanks for that explanation. I was referring to Ken's post immediately preceding mine, though; not yours.

There is the fuel pump whining which we're all accustomed to but this is an almost screeching, slightly warbly chirp. On and off, usually for as long as twenty seconds or as short as 2 or 3.

From what you describe it very well could be that fuel pump pressure relief valve. It would certainly be worth my while to replace the fuel filter ASAP and see if it goes away. If not then I've at least eliminated one possible cause.

With it occuring only when it's hot out that might make the most sense, too---I can often smell gas fumes when I'm sitting in traffic or at a light. The pressure must be all the more intense in these summer conditions.

Thanks again and I'll let you know when I get a new filter in the tank.

Don, where do you get this technical information? Wow! I am impressed (no sarcasm implied AT ALL) by the troubleshooting knowledge of some folks in this forum. :thumb

Zagando, let us know if the stethoscope idea helped and the outcome. You should videotape the noise and post it for our own experience...ok, I am pushing it a little. :wave

I saw a stethoscope at Sears and almost went for it.

Chirping? Does your bike still have the SHED emissions system installed?

If you raise the back of the gas tank out of its rubber holders, there may be a hose on the right-rear side with gray-colored valve attached to it. You don't want that part there. :D

In case you misunderstood.. the fuel pump is capable of putting out 100PSI, until it burns up or explodes IF the output is plugged up (say by a bad fuel filter.) To prevent this from happening, it has a built in blow-off valve. That valve kicks in at about 80 PSI, and when it relieves the pressure, it sounds like a chirp. As the pump keeps running, it then sounds like a series of chirps. THAT is what I was referring to - not the normal whining noise (although that does get louder as restriction builds on the output of the fuel pump.)

It's not a common noise - but it is a known noise. It may be out of the ordinary in your K-bike experience, but it is not out of the ordinary for everyone's k-bike experience.

YMMV.. (but not a lot.)

That is very interesting information. Is that true of the later style K-1100/R-1100 fuel pumps?

Chirping? Does your bike still have the SHED emissions system installed?

If you raise the back of the gas tank out of its rubber holders, there may be a hose on the right-rear side with gray-colored valve attached to it. You don't want that part there. :D

Don't think I have one of those at all; I probably would have noticed something like that in all of the times I've taken off the tank for one reason or another---but thanks for the the thought, nonetheless.

I'll get over to a local Napa outlet later and get a new fuel filter later today. I just discovered that it's been almost three years since I changed the FF so it can't hurt even if it's not at the root of the problem.

Regards, Jeff

Don't think I have one of those at all; I probably would have noticed something like that in all of the times I've taken off the tank for one reason or another---but thanks for the the thought, nonetheless.

Do you have ANY hoses attached to the two vent ports at the right rear of the tank? Or do you have the "cup" (air accumulator) attached to the frame directly underneath these two vent ports with no hoses connected to the right rear of the tank?

:dance:dance:dance

In case anyone is wondering

Update; Haven't had time to get a new fuel filter yet; will post results once I do and get it installed.... Jeff

I think Don nailed it; fingers crossed

I replaced my 3 year old fuel filter with a new one (Napa 3012 $5.39) today, put some Chevron unleaded in the tank and went for a ten-mile ride around town in the heat of the day.

Not a chirp or squeal to be heard so far; my fingers are crossed that Don was right on target with his diagnosis and that I'm good to go now.

If I am speaking too soon I'll be back to report further but for now I am a happy camper. Thanks Don! :dance

I replaced my 3 year old fuel filter with a new one (Napa 3012 $5.39) today, put some Chevron unleaded in the tank and went for a ten-mile ride around town in the heat of the day.

Not a chirp or squeal to be heard so far; my fingers are crossed that Don was right on target with his diagnosis and that I'm good to go now.

If I am speaking too soon I'll be back to report further but for now I am a happy camper. Thanks Don! :dance

Jeff - !:dance!

Hope that was it. I learned about this from Brian Curry who had a filter plug up - and there was the clue of the chirp noise. It was just unusual enough that I actually remembered it.. :laugh

Paul, thanks much. Means a lot coming from you.. Hug Voni for me!

Jeff,

If you still have your old filter, you can test it to see how plugged it was by gently blowing through it in the direction of the arrow. If there is ANY resistance, it is dirty. If there is significant resistance, it's plugged up and definitely your problem.

:dance:dance:dance

Back