• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

This Year's Attendance

As far as I'm concerened NYTRASHMAN has it nailed period and stop bashing those who chose to not attend or volunteer for any reason ,you pay dues ,you're IN.:thumb
No matter what all those who attend are the minority of this club cause the majority choose not to attend whether you like it or not!

Let,s look at that premise. 6000 attended, 24000 chose not to. Of that 24000 , I would bet 12000 have never and will never attend a rally. So that leaves a possible 18000. Top number for a rally was right around 10000 I read on here. Under the most ideal conditions 8000 of the membership that might attend chose not to. Most choose not to attend because they just don't want to.

You pay your dues, your in ? No, you paid a membership fee. You pay your dues when you commit something of yourself to make something better. Volunteers pay their dues.

Yes, yes, yes! Even though I live here I would love to have it in Wisconsin again.
We normally don't have heat waves and we also have Spotted Cow!
Hi Sharon.

We don't have heat waves in Wisconsin? This year I remember successive days over 100?? and a record number of days over 90??. Tomorrow it will be over 90?? again. In Wisconsin! Wisconsin has frequently been warmer than Tucson, AZ, this summer.

Yes, we had a wonderful rally years ago in Oshkosh, and the weather was great.

However, global warming is turning the entire nation into a summer oven. I suspect the only safe places might be the extreme northern parts of Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York, or Maine. We had a rally once in Bemidji, MN, and it was fantastic. But that, too, was before global warming said hello.

Good Rally

I had a great time on the way to the rally through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Lousiana, and Arkansas backroads, at the rally, and on the way home through Southeastern Missouri, Southern Illinois, Kentucky, and Indiana backroads. Sometimes it was brutally hot on the way to and from the rally, and keeping hydrated was a challenge. It was hot at the rally, too, but cooled off to reasonable temperatures at night, so sleeping wasn't a problem, with a mesh tent and a battery powered fan and maybe a bit of the right attitude. I met lots of interesting people and renewed some old acquaintances. I found the locals I met very friendly, helpful, and interested in what was going on at the rally. The facilities were top notch and the abundance of air conditioned spaces gave significant relief from the daytime heat. Was everything perfect all of the time? No. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

I wonder about people who decide not to ride (or attend a rally) because it might rain, or it might be too hot, or whatever. It surely must limit their riding time. Maybe they should get a car? If one is on the road for several days or weeks, conditions are not likely to be perfect all of the time. For me riding a motorcycle is partly about meeting the challenges presented by the road and conditions. Rain and heat and cold are part of the deal. Travelling on a motorcycle, as they say in the old country, isn't for everyone. Those that don't like it shouldn't do it.

See you next year in Oregon. I think I may travel though Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado ... It promises to be another wonderful journey.

John Peck
Maple City, Mi

R1150R
F650GS

I,m joining the 12,000.
You better start putting that on the applications to join the club,Have to volunteer !

Scottie - -
You do not have to volunteer. I (personally) have more fun when I volunteer, but that's just me.

I have enjoyed toast and coffee at your campsite, and I know you like to help others. So do what feels good for yourself, and enjoy the fellowship of the club.

We are all just brothers and sisters out here in the club. See you soon! :hug

I,m joining the 12,000.
You better start putting that on the applications to join the club,Have to volunteer !

Ah, I believe you read that wrong. You pay a membership fee to join an organization. That allows you all the benefits of every other member. Those that choose to roll up their sleeves and work to better the membership, as opposed to those sitting on their butts in front of a keyboard decrying their efforts, have gone above and beyond the membership requiements so to advance, strengthen and provide a better club experience for all, all ,as in inclusive, as in including you. Tired of hearing about volunteers? T S !!!

I wonder about people who decide not to ride (or attend a rally) because it might rain, or it might be too hot, or whatever. It surely must limit their riding time. Maybe they should get a car? If one is on the road for several days or weeks, conditions are not likely to be perfect all of the time. For me riding a motorcycle is partly about meeting the challenges presented by the road and conditions. Rain and heat and cold are part of the deal. Travelling on a motorcycle, as they say in the old country, isn't for everyone. Those that don't like it shouldn't do it.

John Peck
Maple City, Mi

R1150R
F650GS[/QUOTE]

:thumb Couldn't have said it any better

Many years ago we were having one of those conversations ( over beers in the back of a bike shop...WOW) of who's a biker and who rides more and who's this and who's that. One of the real old timers piped up with this " Motorcycling is a big tent and there's room underneath it for everyone" !

That shut everyone up and back to drinking their beers.. no truer words were said... Everyone does what works for them.....nuff said...

I'd love to attend one of these someday but not unless it was nearby someplace I was already riding. I ride in any weather that leaves me with some traction so that's not a factor. I'm retired so time of year isn't a factor. What I won't do is travel hundreds or thousands of miles on roads I'm not drawn experience to stand around for several days in stinkin' hot weather not riding. I can get everything I need from vendors online or my local dealer (who has a phenomenal affinity and training program). If one of these is ever held in a place in West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Western North Carolina, or North Georgia I'll be there. If I go to Oregon, it'll be to spend every waking minute on the road riding. OK, if I'm there, maybe I'd stop by for half a day. My point is that you're not less of a BMW fan if you skip these things.

If I go to Oregon, it'll be to spend every waking minute on the road riding. OK, if I'm there, maybe I'd stop by for half a day. My point is that you're not less of a BMW fan if you skip these things.

so, you're not much of a people person, eh? :ha

seriously, the social aspect is one of the main draws to the rally, and if that's not your cup of tea, you're none the worse for it.

a lot of people tell me they don't go to our rally because there are too many people there.

ian

John Peck
Maple City, Mi

R1150R
F650GS

I too, average about 15,000 miles/year on my bike, in spite of having a spouse who doesn't ride, three school age kids, and a job that requires me to be on the road 80+ nights a year. I ride in all weather, and many months in NC are not suitable to ride in the winter.

So please be careful when you start categorizing members who are suggesting a different way to plan the rallys. The MOA needs to succeed financially. When less that 6,000 people attend for the last two two years, that ain't success.

When less that 6,000 people attend for the last two two years, that ain't success.

Why do you need to have 9,000 to 10,000 to consider the rally a success? If everyone has a good time and the MOA at least breaks even, isn't that a sucess?
I've never heard it mentioned that the MOA loses money if the attendance is less than 6,000.
Can someone on the board tell us what the break even point is on the average?Just a rough guess, because I realize each location is different.

Why do you need to have 9,000 to 10,000 to consider the rally a success? If everyone has a good time and the MOA at least breaks even, isn't that a sucess?
I've never heard it mentioned that the MOA loses money if the attendance is less than 6,000.
Can someone on the board tell us what the break even point is on the average?Just a rough guess, because I realize each location is different.

That's a good question. I do remember that the MOA was expecting close to 10,000 for Bloomsburg and were disappointed in the attendance. It seems like they're are a lot of fixed costs with these Rallys, and the more that attend the better the profits

Even non-profits need a positive cash flow :)

so, you're not much of a people person, eh? :ha

Maybe not ;):burnout Actually, I think I'm a people person but I'm just not in to the kind of people that hang out at rallies. I love meeting new people and going on rides together with like minded people. And, I belong to an number of different affinity groups for other things like aerobatic flying (active competitor). But won't see me at a pancake fly-in breakfast or Oshkosh either. I guess scooters for me are more about the man machine thing and a twisty road. In terms of things to do that are not riding, I'd probably have more fun at a WSBK event than a rally. Just me. Hope y'all had a good time and I was just offering up maybe a reason to hold the thing nearer to some really great scooter roads so I'd have something to do when I'm tired of hanging out being personable.

There were less then 6K this year not last year in Bloomsburg. If I remember it was closer to 7K. We were just hoping for closer to 10K.

Less attendance was because of the location and the temperatures... Not because one chose not to attend as this was the cause for those who chose not to attend.

How did this years attendance relate on a percentage basis to the overall membership number of the BMW MOA?

How does that percentage compare to the percentage of membership attending in other years?

Is the 2012 percentage in line with other rallies held, in past years, within the current central region ?

IIRC after all was said and done about the various climate and location issues regularly raised in these post rally debates the two most consistent identifiable predictors were:
- BMW MOA members, rally attendance was +/- a fairly constant percentage of that membership.
- The rally being held within < or = 500 miles of a major metro market with the Midwest showing the weakest bump from this factor.

The rally was scheduled to be in this region for 2012 and with the exception of the Arrowhead region of Mn you would have dealt with heat and humidity form border to border MX to CA. In the Arrowhead region of MN you would have had the aftermath of flooding.

Everybody knows or should know that certain locations will bring bigger crowds than other locations. And different facilities command higher or lower prices. When the Board and rally chairs pick a facility and establish a budget for the rally they take this into account. So the break-even attendance is budgeted based on a realistic expectation for attendance.

I know of one very high attendance rally that almost lost money, and other lesser attended rallies that made quite a bit of money.

It is the art of knowing what to expect, budgeting accordingly, and striving very hard to stay in budget.

Everybody knows or should know that certain locations will bring bigger crowds than other locations. And different facilities command higher or lower prices. When the Board and rally chairs pick a facility and establish a budget for the rally they take this into account. So the break-even attendance is budgeted based on a realistic expectation for attendance.

I know of one very high attendance rally that almost lost money, and other lesser attended rallies that made quite a bit of money.

It is the art of knowing what to expect, budgeting accordingly, and striving very hard to stay in budget.

I would think that the Johnson City rally would have been one of the more profitable ones. It was in a low cost of living area with a large turnout.

I do:)

WANT to retire North to Idaho! Sure beats California. S.Idaho has very reasonable year round riding too. Boise:). Trying to figure out WHY folks don't come to rallies is like swimming upstream in whitewater! Doesn't work. Just enjoy the ones that do. We're still a minority m/c group in general riding BMWs, so 5-6000 is a Really BIG rally. The BMW marketshare goes UP, our rally probably gets bigger and their marketshare has creeped along as long as I've known it....A slow grower, but indeed growing. Randy

Back