Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: This Year's Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    There were less then 6K this year not last year in Bloomsburg. If I remember it was closer to 7K. We were just hoping for closer to 10K.
    Less attendance was because of the location and the temperatures... Not because one chose not to attend as this was the cause for those who chose not to attend.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

How did this years attendance relate on a percentage basis to the overall membership number of the BMW MOA?

How does that percentage compare to the percentage of membership attending in other years?

Is the 2012 percentage in line with other rallies held, in past years, within the current central region ?

IIRC after all was said and done about the various climate and location issues regularly raised in these post rally debates the two most consistent identifiable predictors were:
    - BMW MOA members, rally attendance was +/- a fairly constant percentage of that membership.
    - The rally being held within < or = 500 miles of a major metro market with the Midwest showing the weakest bump from this factor.

The rally was scheduled to be in this region for 2012 and with the exception of the Arrowhead region of Mn you would have dealt with heat and humidity form border to border MX to CA. In the Arrowhead region of MN you would have had the aftermath of flooding.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Everybody knows or should know that certain locations will bring bigger crowds than other locations. And different facilities command higher or lower prices. When the Board and rally chairs pick a facility and establish a budget for the rally they take this into account. So the break-even attendance is budgeted based on a realistic expectation for attendance.

I know of one very high attendance rally that almost lost money, and other lesser attended rallies that made quite a bit of money.

It is the art of knowing what to expect, budgeting accordingly, and striving very hard to stay in budget.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Everybody knows or should know that certain locations will bring bigger crowds than other locations. And different facilities command higher or lower prices. When the Board and rally chairs pick a facility and establish a budget for the rally they take this into account. So the break-even attendance is budgeted based on a realistic expectation for attendance.

I know of one very high attendance rally that almost lost money, and other lesser attended rallies that made quite a bit of money.

It is the art of knowing what to expect, budgeting accordingly, and striving very hard to stay in budget.
    I would think that the Johnson City rally would have been one of the more profitable ones. It was in a low cost of living area with a large turnout.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I do:)

WANT to retire North to Idaho! Sure beats California. S.Idaho has very reasonable year round riding too. Boise. Trying to figure out WHY folks don't come to rallies is like swimming upstream in whitewater! Doesn't work. Just enjoy the ones that do. We're still a minority m/c group in general riding BMWs, so 5-6000 is a Really BIG rally. The BMW marketshare goes UP, our rally probably gets bigger and their marketshare has creeped along as long as I've known it....A slow grower, but indeed growing. Randy

OK... COME ON! FESS UP!! Who dredged up last years "It was too #$%&&$%ING hot at the rally" thread????

Come on now. I know it was one of you.

I suggest all of you stop posting to this thread and search back about a year.

There isn't one new thought or comment presented here.

We didn't attend but it wasn't due to the heat or the weather forecast.

Here's the synopsis:

1. "Simple polls" on the forums are not. They are neither accurate nor scientific. Statistics is a science.
    2. The MOA HAS asked the membership its opinion (IIRC) and July it was.
    3. Sites around the US suitable for UP TO 10,000 that are
    a. Available
    b. Affordable
    c. Suitable
    that meet the VERY SPECIFIC CRITERIA that the MOA has for rallys do no grow on trees.
    4. "Cooler" locales in New England in May and June will most certainly be met with rain and or snow (ask ANYONE who has attended the BMWRSM rally on Hermit Island in Maine the middle of May.)
    5. "Cooler" locales in New England in the fall run afoul of the fair season.
    5.5 Fair sites and Universities are ramping up in August for their respective events.
    6. "Cooler" locales out west in higher elevations any time but July will find snow.
    7. Rotating dates is a non-starter. The QUICKEST way to lose an event is to move it around.
    8. Bloomsburg the week before the rally was splendid. Within a month or so (for those of us here that are pushing for and August or September date) after the whole town was under a foot of water from Hurricane Irene.
    9. Like it or not, WE are not the only game in town. Vendors help pay for what we enjoy about the rallys and the MOA and the ON. But unless they are BMW specific, they have OTHER events that also take place on specific dates. Perhaps we move our event to the first weekend in August and see what we get for vendors who are already at Stugis (and have been for decades?) Perhaps we do it the 3rd weekend in March and see what we get for vendors already committed to Daytona Bike Week?
    10. If you wish it to be different, step up to the plate, go to a BOD meeting and be the change you wish to see.

If the weather is perfect in Oregon next year this thread will read "Let's stop rotating it and keep it in Oregon, the weather there is perfect."

Average temp for Sturgis SD this time of year - 86. Temps this week? 90 Sunday, 92 Monday, 99 Tuesday. Today's temp? 99. Tomorrow? 90. But then a front moves through and it's 80 for a couple days when it goes back into the mid 90's.

Seriously folks. Maybe we start having these things in January in Florida and Arizona and we all fly in with a picture of our motorcycle and sit in a big room and talk about them.
    Last edited by xp8103; 08-02-2012 at 03:01 AM.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Riding Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    2. The MOA HAS asked the membership its opinion (IIRC) and July it was.
    The only options were the 1 in june and 3 in July. That's not exactly giving the membership a real option outside of July.

I'd be very interested to see what the membership picks if all options really were on the table.

What could it hurt to try the rally at a different time of year? I know the argument is that some mountain passes are closed as late as May & early as September. But if a portion of the membership won't attend because it's too hot in July, how is that different than a portion won't attend because a road is closed in April?

Average temp for Sturgis SD this time of year - 86. Temps this week? 90 Sunday, 92 Monday, 99 Tuesday. Today's temp? 99. Tomorrow? 90. But then a front moves through and it's 80 for a couple days when it goes back into the mid 90's.
    Yeah, and with humidity around 10 percent. The only reason Sedalia was survivable was because the entire central US is in an historic drought, which lowered the humidity.

The fact is, while I enjoy rallies, I am not a rally rat. I'll go if the positives outweigh the negatives, and the weather is a big factor.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
    The only options were the 1 in june and 3 in July. That's not exactly giving the membership a real option outside of July.

I'd be very interested to see what the membership picks if all options really were on the table.

What could it hurt to try the rally at a different time of year? I know the argument is that some mountain passes are closed as late as May & early as September. But if a portion of the membership won't attend because it's too hot in July, how is that different than a portion won't attend because a road is closed in April?
    There are many reasons not to move the date one only needs to go back a read some of the pages of this thread. However here's the biggest reason not to move it. The vast majority doesn't want it moved. It's really as simple as that. The poll that was started on the other thread pretty much points that out. 80 people responded out of the 30k+ in membership. Now if I saw 1000 or so responses I would think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by nielsm View Post

See 4,5, and 5.5 above.

I posted this in a similar thread - Bloomsburg weather this year during the rally dates? Thursday to Sunday: between 71 and the mid-80's. Overcast and some drizzle. The average temp is the mid-80's. When the MOA was looking for potential sites for the 2011 rally in 2008 the ONLY thing they could look at was what the averages were for the area.

If it is rainy and miserable in Salem next year, this thread will be about never going back to the PNW. If the weather is perfect there next year, this thread will be asking why we have to move it since the weather in the PNW is always perfect.

There simply is no magic pill for this.
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Yeah, and with humidity around 10 percent. The only reason Sedalia was survivable was because the entire central US is in an historic drought, which lowered the humidity.

The fact is, while I enjoy rallies, I am not a rally rat. I'll go if the positives outweigh the negatives, and the weather is a big factor.

Harry
    Harry, sorry to burst your bubble but today's forecast for Sturgis is 88 degrees with high 80's humidity. That is NOT a recipe for comfort.
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Harry, sorry to burst your bubble but today's forecast for Sturgis is 88 degrees with high 80's humidity. That is NOT a recipe for comfort.
    Not so.

Weather in Sturgis at this moment is 67F, humidity 68 percent, dew point 56F. Sounds pretty comfortable to me; actually, a bit chilly with the wind.

I lived in Rock Springs, Wyoming a while back: high elevation, even with a high of 100F it would get chilly at night because the humidity was so low.

High temps with low humidity is more bearable, and the low humidity allows cooling off at night.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post

Either I am an idiot who has fun under the worst conditions (that may be partly true)
    or rallies are what you make them. They won't be Tailor made for you, you need to know what to expect, and make it fit your needs. This forum helps greatly with that. Also, wear earplugs when you sleep there for crying out loud, it's just better.
    I think I also fall into the 'idiot group'. I've enjoyed every rally I ever went to and never regretted going to any of them. The ones with some measure of adversity are remembered for a long while, but the really nice ones are usually forgotten over time (at least for me). I think the MOA has done an outstanding job presenting us with an interesting destination year after year and also allowing the Rally to develop as the membership changes. Their was a time when motel/hotel rooms and air conditioning weren't so important.
    Last edited by mogu83; 08-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Harry Costello...nowadays I got me two good wheels
    And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
    It takes me out there for just a little while
    And the years fall away with every mile

Heard at the recent Damn Yankees Rally (Western Ma).

"Fifty two Hundred? That's a backyard party."

"I've enjoyed every rally I ever went to and never regretted going to any of them."

++++++

The only regret I have is I can't attend them all......
    Sig? What's a Sig?