• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Networking with Women Riders

Damn Yankees rally

Louise, I never saw you at Damn Yankees!! Were you there? Lots of rain...!!

Yes, I was there. I am bummed that I didn't get to connect with you!! I didn't get there until a bit after 7:00 on Friday and by the time I was done setting up camp I was scrambling to get some food (diabetic) which didn't work out too well. Mark and a couple of other YBs tried to get the grill restarted and just couldn't. So dinner was pretzels and a muffin. By the time I got done choking that down it was late and I was bushed. Next day I ran into a friend and we went out for a ride and got caught in that HORRENDOUS storm. What a ride that was!! Dana Lewis of the YBs was my savior when we pulled into the rally grounds. He got me inside a building, helped get my sopping wet jacket off (new untested jacket which failed), got me a towel to dry off with and wrap myself in so my teeth would stop chattering, and helped me calm down. Then the wait for the storm(s) to stop. When the rain let up enough so that I could make a dash for the tent that's where I was for another hour. I desperately had to get out of my soaking wet clothes because I was slowly getting colder and colder waiting for the storms to pass. Then dinner. Then cleaning up the sodden mess of wet gear. (I am in the awkward position of being without functioning rain gear right now.) I was fortunate in that my tent stayed dry. Then the music and then it was time to go home. I hope you had a good time! I imagine you got tagged with more rain on your ride home. I had a dry ride home and then spent the afternoon watching it rain some more. I have wet gear spread out all over my house drying out! And as I write this the thunder is rolling outside and I can smell the rain. I am going to try to get to the Poconos rally so hopefully we can connect then. :wave

My search for a textile jacket that fits my middle-aged figure and is waterproof continues but that is fodder for another thread topic. :banghead :banghead

Louise

Louise, please send me your contact info in a PM. I can't believe we were both there, I didn't get to look around at all the bikes for yours, but we probably looked right at each other and didn't know it! I did meet Mark, and a few other YB'rs (bad with names) and I asked if there was a Louise that came when I went walking around in the rain (with my rain gear on) because I was tired of sitting under my Kelty waiting for it to stop! But they had everything put away up front so I didn't get an answer. I didn't know your last name either.

We got there around 4:30 Friday. Set up and went to Greenfield for food, drink. Didn't get back until about 7:00. Then we went for a ride on Saturday and got caught in the rain, but got back before the horrible storms. It was so bad!! Were out of the fairgrounds by 8:00 the next morning.

Hope to see you in the Poconos! You're not going to Finger Lakes? I can't remember if you said or not...

Just an FYI...I logged 840 miles this weekend going to the Mass rally. It was the most I've ever ridden on my own. I camped (using all my own stuff), set up and tore down and packed my bike. All on my own. It was different, for sure. Was it as fun? Jury is still out. I met my new friends, Kate and Anthony, and so I wasn't truly alone when at the rally. The next one in two weeks, I will be traveling and camping alone. THAT will different. I'll report back!

Last edited:
Hi Voni,:wave

I just was reading Darryl Richman's thread about his Cannonball entry on his 1928 R52 and his preparations on my R65 Forum. We R65ers have been cheering him on for over 1/2 year now on that forum. I gotta give him credit! That's a long haul on a 1928 bike. Having Paul and the others along as a support crew has to give one confidence!! Takes some organizing too!
Next years ride out to Salem, Oregon for our MOA National will be a 4300 mile jaunt for which I would love a support team like Darryl's!!!!
That Sprinter van they are taking looks the bees knees for the job.

Where do you think you may be riding Voni??

Sue in Meaford, ON

Paul and the whole group will have a fabulous time whatever fate throws their way! He promises to take pictures for me. :brad

As to my plans, I'm giving a seminar at the Sippapu New Mexico rally and other than that I'm on a quiet wander. Time for just me :)

Voni
sMiling

Okay, so it's not quite a solo long distance ride, but you inspired me to venture out of my comfort zone. I got a new GS this past weekend, and I promised myself that I would start doing more riding solo. So, this evening, I took my first step toward that goal. I rode from downtown Chicago to Central Illinois solo - it's only about 150 miles, but it is far more than I've done on my own in the past.

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

My husband and I enjoy riding together (and, quite frankly, just spending time together) and have limited vacation time, so we always ride together. However, I knew this was a step I needed to take for myself. Now, I just need to figure out where my next (longer) ride will be.

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!!

:bliss

Go DLilah, Go! :wave

Louise, please send me your contact info in a PM. I can't believe we were both there, I didn't get to look around at all the bikes for yours, but we probably looked right at each other and didn't know it! I did meet Mark, and a few other YB'rs (bad with names) and I asked if there was a Louise that came when I went walking around in the rain (with my rain gear on) because I was tired of sitting under my Kelty waiting for it to stop! But they had everything put away up front so I didn't get an answer. I didn't know your last name either.

We got there around 4:30 Friday. Set up and went to Greenfield for food, drink. Didn't get back until about 7:00. Then we went for a ride on Saturday and got caught in the rain, but got back before the horrible storms. It was so bad!! Were out of the fairgrounds by 8:00 the next morning.

Hope to see you in the Poconos! You're not going to Finger Lakes? I can't remember if you said or not...

Just an FYI...I logged 840 miles this weekend going to the Mass rally. It was the most I've ever ridden on my own. I camped (using all my own stuff), set up and tore down and packed my bike. All on my own. It was different, for sure. Was it as fun? Jury is still out. I met my new friends, Kate and Anthony, and so I wasn't truly alone when at the rally. The next one in two weeks, I will be traveling and camping alone. THAT will different. I'll report back!

PM will be off to you in a bit. I agree, we probably looked right at each other and didn't know it!

You put in a really decent amount of mileage for the rally. My jury is still out too. I get pretty shy and tongue tied at the smaller rallies but I try to greet everyone with a smile and that helps invite conversation. The storms will be memorable! I was riding in it when they were truely frightening. The lightening strikes had me screaming in my helmet and I could hear the thunder thru my total silence earplugs!! Yikes!!!!!

No, I will not be at the Finger Lakes rally even tho I enjoy that rally. I have really weird karma with that rally. Something always goes wrong with my bike on that trip so I'm staying home this year. So, I'll give the Poconos rally a go.

I'll be waiting to hear how your next trip goes!

Louise

Oh that's right- now I remember about you and the bad karma at that rally! I hope that doesn't transfer to me since you won't be there!

I am shy as well when I'm on my own at these things. Four winds will be one of those events. But after I had a glass of wine it was easier! The other rallies I will have others that I know there.

Will check out your pm!

Oh that's right- now I remember about you and the bad karma at that rally! I hope that doesn't transfer to me since you won't be there!

I am shy as well when I'm on my own at these things. Four winds will be one of those events. But after I had a glass of wine it was easier! The other rallies I will have others that I know there.

Will check out your pm!

No, that karma of mine needs to die out NOT transfer! I don't wish it on ANYone. You'll have a great time at the Finger Lakes rally. There are lots of wineries in the area with wonderful choices of wines. You just need to be careful of other drivers 'cause you don't know how much wine they've been tasting. The area is gorgeous with great riding and the bands they have come into the rally Sat. and Sun. are reasonably good and so is the food.

The entrance to the rally site is a very steep downhill road so be careful on it. There is a more level entrance and egress but it's not well advertised. When exiting the rally site there is a left turn you can make just before a little bridge (before you go up the hill) - the registration tent is usually situated there. If you take that left you can get into town that way and it doesn't involve the very steep hill stop where you also have to turn (my bike gets real heavy in hurry in that situation - I can do the manuever (sp?) but I'm not happy about it.) This other egress is much nicer.

Have a great time!

Louise :wave

Louise, this will actually be my third year at FL! Two years ago, it was on the back of my ex's bike and my very first rally! Last year, I was on my own bike and so I know exactly what you mean about that entrance! Do you remember how awful the weather was on Monday?? I was gritting my teeth when we left knowing I had to get past that stop sign on the way out in the horrible rain!!

It is one of my favorite rallies and I will be meeting my Akron friends and also seeing my own chapter friends. Maybe even the ex...**sigh**...

No bad karma allowed!!!

I plan to hit the FLR as well, and wonder about a planned meetup of our forum folks. Anything planned? If not, maybe Saturday after dinner?

I plan to hit the FLR as well, and wonder about a planned meetup of our forum folks. Anything planned? If not, maybe Saturday after dinner?

Maria, that would be awesome to plan a meetup! Anyone have any suggestions? Or we could actually meet FOR dinner and sit together and chat?

Might be easier to do something after dinner, if that works for folks. It's been a couple of years since I attended, and that was the first time...so the memory needs a little help.

Seems to me there was a big-top tent outside with plenty of tables - that may be a little less noisy than the dining hall, especially if my recall of a band in the dining hall after dinner is correct.

Dinner is at 530ish, maybe meet at 7 under the tent? Thoughts?

If anyone wants to join the BMWBMW group for dinner, we stay in cabin 3. Swing by around 515 and saunter over with us.

last year's FLR

Louise, this will actually be my third year at FL! Two years ago, it was on the back of my ex's bike and my very first rally! Last year, I was on my own bike and so I know exactly what you mean about that entrance! Do you remember how awful the weather was on Monday?? I was gritting my teeth when we left knowing I had to get past that stop sign on the way out in the horrible rain!!

It is one of my favorite rallies and I will be meeting my Akron friends and also seeing my own chapter friends. Maybe even the ex...**sigh**...

No bad karma allowed!!!

Oh, boy, do I ever remember the rain last year! I detest packing a wet tent but alas that's what happened. C'est le vie! I also remember watching people leave on Sunday... in droves! I heard that something like 37% of the rallyers left that day. I've never seen that happen at a rally but folks were bugging out to avoid the forecasted rain. Maybe they were right to do so. I don't think leaving early would have prevented the catastrophic failure of the clutch on my bike, though. Finally got the oil change done on my bike today so now I'm ready for more rallying. September will be quite busy with them and my boss has OK'd my time off to go to all of them (and... my major projects [at work] will be primarily dormant at that point but will take over my life in October)! Going to the Green Mt. rally, Purity Springs rally, and BDB Poconos rally. :wave

keep on riding ladies!

Louise

Back