• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Networking with Women Riders

Louise, we are all behind you 100 per cent. Someday, lets' make a point of meeting!! Maybe the Finger Lakes Rally on labour day weekend??

:wave
Sue who would love to meet some other riders on R65's even if it is not your current ride.

I am going to Finger Lakes!!! This will be my third year, but first again "on my own"!! Who else?

Finger Lakes

I am going to Finger Lakes!!! This will be my third year, but first again "on my own"!! Who else?

The Finger Lakes rally is a great rally! I would go but my karma with that rally is weird. Every time I've gone over the years something has gone wrong with the bike and last year was the worst. So this year I think I'll go to the beach and not tempt fate. Call me chicken but I can't afford another $2500 repair bill (final drive had to be fixed too!). :banghead I've always gone to that rally on my own. You'll have blast at that rally!

Yes, we'll have to work on trying to connect!

Louise

Riding partners

Louise and Sue, you truly are an inspiration to me. I, too, have recently "lost" my riding buddy of two years. No, not by death! Although in some ways, it feels like a death to me. Anywho...I am starting out my solo riding career this weekend going to the Damn Yankees rally, which is about 330 miles away from my house. No huge trip for most of you, but huge for me! I will be meeting up with another friend and her boyfriend about halfway up the route, but even though I am meeting up with them, I still feel "alone". I am packing on my own, with my own tent, shelter, etc., so the preparations are all just me. I have a lot of weekend trips planned through the end of September. One weekend I am meeting up with no one, so it will be just me. I want to see if I can learn to love the motorcycle (and camping) on my own, or if it was just me loving the common interest that we had fostered. He already rode and camped; I joined in and found it fulfilling.

I was unable to make it to the rally this year. I was in Bloomsburg last year, but didn't make an effort to meet a lot of people (honestly) because I was with him and our club. Now I wish I had done so. I have met Ardys (she came to our rally two years ago) and I loved her!

I am looking forward to new adventures and meeting new people on this next part of my journey. You girls are the best!

OK, so now I'm tempted to try to get to the Damn Yankees rally this weekend. It's just that my ride desperately needs an oil change and my appt. isn't until Saturday afternoon. Hmmmmm.

Losing a riding partner by any means most definitely is tough to take. I lost one partner who was a fellow club member to an apparent suicide which REALLY rocked my world. He was the one who encouraged me to do my first trip out west on the bike. The more recent loss was losing a life partner to alcohol which in some ways was harder to take. But you know, riding on my own has been a great healer and I have been having so much fun doing solo riding this year! I can't say enough to all the women who ride out there, get out and go for it! :thumb

Louise

I am a newer rider (3 years). My husband and I got back today from our first International Rally...had a great time. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to meet many other women who ride...those I did meet...I very much enjoyed talking with. My local club has very few women in it, what are some good ways to network with other women riders? Any websites, blogs? Any suggestions on how I meet other women riders? Thanks!

I think a good way to meet other women riders is attending different rallies... of course this forum is very good... and other motorcycle forums.

Which part of the country are you in?

Welcome... I was at the rally.. sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.

Louise and Sue, you truly are an inspiration to me. I, too, have recently "lost" my riding buddy of two years. No, not by death! Although in some ways, it feels like a death to me. Anywho...I am starting out my solo riding career this weekend going to the Damn Yankees rally, which is about 330 miles away from my house. No huge trip for most of you, but huge for me! I will be meeting up with another friend and her boyfriend about halfway up the route, but even though I am meeting up with them, I still feel "alone". I am packing on my own, with my own tent, shelter, etc., so the preparations are all just me. I have a lot of weekend trips planned through the end of September. One weekend I am meeting up with no one, so it will be just me. I want to see if I can learn to love the motorcycle (and camping) on my own, or if it was just me loving the common interest that we had fostered. He already rode and camped; I joined in and found it fulfilling.

I was unable to make it to the rally this year. I was in Bloomsburg last year, but didn't make an effort to meet a lot of people (honestly) because I was with him and our club. Now I wish I had done so. I have met Ardys (she came to our rally two years ago) and I loved her!

I am looking forward to new adventures and meeting new people on this next part of my journey. You girls are the best!

I am glad to hear you are attending some rallies. :brow :D I wish I could be there!

Thanks, Anna...I am doing it!! Yes, going to Damn Yankees this weekend. Louise, it would be great if you could go!! Anna, meeting Kate (Loffkat) from F800 forum halfway up in Stroudsburg!! She is riding pillion unfortunately...had a little issue last weekend with her bike and it's at the bike doctor's.

Then going to Four Winds in two weeks, Finger Lakes over Labor Day, Virginia Twin Valley in September and ending with my BDB club rally in the Poconos. Not looking forward as much to that one because I have to work it...

Tonya, I'll be at BDB and possibly Finger Lakes. I'll be sure to look you up!

I'll be in Cabin #4 with the MARs group.

Tonya, I'll be at BDB and possibly Finger Lakes. I'll be sure to look you up!

I'll be in Cabin #4 with the MARs group.

Tracy, I already was planning on connecting with you!!! I will definitely look you up at BDB. Can you let me know about Finger Lakes? Wouldn't want to miss you!!

We would like to try to attend the Finger Lakes but that is about a week after hubby gets home from his Alaska adventure. We'll see what's going on that weekend.

rally time

Thanks, Anna...I am doing it!! Yes, going to Damn Yankees this weekend. Louise, it would be great if you could go!! Anna, meeting Kate (Loffkat) from F800 forum halfway up in Stroudsburg!! She is riding pillion unfortunately...had a little issue last weekend with her bike and it's at the bike doctor's.

Then going to Four Winds in two weeks, Finger Lakes over Labor Day, Virginia Twin Valley in September and ending with my BDB club rally in the Poconos. Not looking forward as much to that one because I have to work it...

Tonya, you sound like you've got a great lineup of upcoming trips! You go, girl! :brad

Oh, decisions, decisions! I haven't even finished unpacking from the trip out to the International rally! But that should make packing for this weekend that much easier, right? :brow I haven't washed the bike yet either! But the laundry is done! I've got someone else telling me I should go to the Damn Yankees rally, too. It's been many years since I've been to that rally....

BDB rally? Do tell....

Louise

Tonya, you sound like you've got a great lineup of upcoming trips! You go, girl! :brad

Oh, decisions, decisions! I haven't even finished unpacking from the trip out to the International rally! But that should make packing for this weekend that much easier, right? :brow I haven't washed the bike yet either! But the laundry is done! I've got someone else telling me I should go to the Damn Yankees rally, too. It's been many years since I've been to that rally....

BDB rally? Do tell....

Louise

I may even hit Color in the Catskills after BDB rally!! Have to see how I feel after all of that travel!!

Okay, Louise...sounds like you are going to come this weekend!! Your oil change can wait!! Wash the bike?? What's that?? I did wipe it down after getting caught in the rain on Tuesday!! Does that count?

Check the events calendar for the BDB rally. It is held at Indian Head camp in Honesdale, PA September 21-23. There is camping available, but you can also bunk out in a cabin, which is what most people do. Tracy is going with the MAR group; wonder if there is a bunk available in their cabin?? There are bathrooms and showers in the cabins so it does make it nice if the weather isn't great. The last two years the weather was awesome. Year before that, I think it rained pretty much the whole time. It is pretty pricey ($75 now, $85 at the door), but you get 5 meals with it in the beautiful lodge. The price is the same whether you tent or cabin it...we have a huge bonfire every night and usually one of our members provides live music if the weather is good (he is pretty good). There is a fun canoe "race" in the afternoon on Saturday if you don't want to ride that day. It gets pretty funny with the things people have to do in their canoes. I used to help with that; won't be helping this year as the guy who runs it is now my ex!! He can find someone else to help out!!

Rallies........!

I may even hit Color in the Catskills after BDB rally!! Have to see how I feel after all of that travel!!

Okay, Louise...sounds like you are going to come this weekend!! Your oil change can wait!! Wash the bike?? What's that?? I did wipe it down after getting caught in the rain on Tuesday!! Does that count?

Check the events calendar for the BDB rally. It is held at Indian Head camp in Honesdale, PA September 21-23. There is camping available, but you can also bunk out in a cabin, which is what most people do. Tracy is going with the MAR group; wonder if there is a bunk available in their cabin?? There are bathrooms and showers in the cabins so it does make it nice if the weather isn't great. The last two years the weather was awesome. Year before that, I think it rained pretty much the whole time. It is pretty pricey ($75 now, $85 at the door), but you get 5 meals with it in the beautiful lodge. The price is the same whether you tent or cabin it...we have a huge bonfire every night and usually one of our members provides live music if the weather is good (he is pretty good). There is a fun canoe "race" in the afternoon on Saturday if you don't want to ride that day. It gets pretty funny with the things people have to do in their canoes. I used to help with that; won't be helping this year as the guy who runs it is now my ex!! He can find someone else to help out!!

I have yet to make it to the Color in the Catskills but I will someday!

I have re-scheduled my appointment for the oil change for my bike to another time so I'll be at the Damn Yankees rally. :) I'll be coming in the evening after work (my boss doesn't know yet that I'm leaving early tomorrow!). I'll be the lady on the midget silver R1150R (it's 2" lower than stock). So, I'll see you there!

I'm going to try to make the Green Mountain rally in VT and the BDB rally in the Poconos. I also have my own club's rally in between those two. So, my rally dance card for Sept. is going to be pretty full. :)

Yes, leave your ex to do his own thing. That'll make YOU happier. :thumb

Vroom, vroom!!

Louise

Baby Steps!

D'Lilah, if you ever get a chance to attend one of Voni's seminar's don't miss it. She, as well as all of her participants are extremely inspirational.

Three years ago after listening to the ladies I vowed to myself that I would ride a solo long distance ride. I did that two years ago to Bend, OR (completing a SaddleSore 1000 on the way). Last year I rode solo across country to the seminar making a few side trips. Total of 7200 solo sMiles...and all inspired by the women I met at Voni's seminars.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Thank you again, Voni!:hug

Okay, so it's not quite a solo long distance ride, but you inspired me to venture out of my comfort zone. I got a new GS this past weekend, and I promised myself that I would start doing more riding solo. So, this evening, I took my first step toward that goal. I rode from downtown Chicago to Central Illinois solo - it's only about 150 miles, but it is far more than I've done on my own in the past.

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

My husband and I enjoy riding together (and, quite frankly, just spending time together) and have limited vacation time, so we always ride together. However, I knew this was a step I needed to take for myself. Now, I just need to figure out where my next (longer) ride will be.

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!!

:bliss

Okay, so it's not quite a solo long distance ride, but you inspired me to venture out of my comfort zone. I got a new GS this past weekend, and I promised myself that I would start doing more riding solo. So, this evening, I took my first step toward that goal. I rode from downtown Chicago to Central Illinois solo - it's only about 150 miles, but it is far more than I've done on my own in the past.

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

My husband and I enjoy riding together (and, quite frankly, just spending time together) and have limited vacation time, so we always ride together. However, I knew this was a step I needed to take for myself. Now, I just need to figure out where my next (longer) ride will be.

Yea!!! Go for it!

Louise :thumb:thumb

Louise, I will look for you!! I'm on a blue F800ST with ginormous Hepco & Becker side bags!! It will be great to meet you!!

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

Congrats on your new bike and your accomplishment! Which GS did you get?

When I first started riding, I knew i needed to get over the fear of riding along. I started slow by going out for a 25 mile ride by myself after work. The next day I'd go a little further, then even further.

My first REAL solo trip will be in a few weeks. (The rally doesn't count since I was with fellow Giants for most of the way.) I'll be leaving Delaware for Niagara Falls, then through Ontario before dropping down to Mackinac City, MI to meet my husband on his way back from Alaska. 4 solo days total.

Good on you! There is nothing like the exhiliration of riding solo, though I have to admit I cried for the first hour my first long solo.

Paul' is mechanicing for the Cannonball Run in September and I'll be back to solo that month. As much as I love the two of us traveling, it'll be all different to be on my own again.

Voni
sMiling

Coincidence: Cannonball Run

Hi Voni,:wave

I just was reading Darryl Richman's thread about his Cannonball entry on his 1928 R52 and his preparations on my R65 Forum. We R65ers have been cheering him on for over 1/2 year now on that forum. I gotta give him credit! That's a long haul on a 1928 bike. Having Paul and the others along as a support crew has to give one confidence!! Takes some organizing too!
Next years ride out to Salem, Oregon for our MOA National will be a 4300 mile jaunt for which I would love a support team like Darryl's!!!!
That Sprinter van they are taking looks the bees knees for the job.

Where do you think you may be riding Voni??

Sue in Meaford, ON

I'm loving all the networking/posting on this forum. Keep it up ladies. That's what it was created for.

Last edited:
Back