• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Networking with Women Riders

bacook

I am a newer rider (3 years). My husband and I got back today from our first International Rally...had a great time. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to meet many other women who ride...those I did meet...I very much enjoyed talking with. My local club has very few women in it, what are some good ways to network with other women riders? Any websites, blogs? Any suggestions on how I meet other women riders? Thanks!

Sorry you missed our annual Women Who Ride seminar. Saturday But we did all agree to meet here so I'm hoping you'll make lots more connections on the forum. A beginning of life long friends!

Welcome!

Voni
sMiling

There are lots of us. The first women's off road ride was a huge success thans to the efforts of Jeannae Washington.

Tell us more about yourself and what type of riding you do. I'm sure you'll meet many of us by hanging out here.

I ride whenever I can, my husband did not think he would be able to go to the rally this year so I was planning on going myself, however at the last minute he was able to get someone to cover for him at work. We had a blast!

This was my first rally/trip without my husband. While I can't claim to have ridden the entire distance solo since I was with my fellow Giants most of the way, I have to say it was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm glad I did it!

Just out of curiosity how many women were at the rally ? It seemed as if only about 10% of the participants were woman. However, my mental percentages are always just estimates.

Of that 10%, I wonder how many are riders? I know there are getting to be more of us, but there are still a lot of ladies who are more comfortable on the back. I don't have an issue with that either - just wondered how many of us ride our own bikes.

This was my first rally/trip without my husband. While I can't claim to have ridden the entire distance solo since I was with my fellow Giants most of the way, I have to say it was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm glad I did it!

Good for you, Tracy!! Proud of you!!

Well done!

I ride my own, but I have yet to take any real solo trip. My husband is so amazingly supportive and actually encourages me to take trips in our neighborhood by myself. How awesome that you rode to the rally without your husband! :clap

I'm really impressed by all of the women I read and hear about on this forum and in this organization that ride so many miles (so sorry that I missed the Women Who Ride seminar, as I planned on going but lost track of time). It inspires me to venture outside my comfort zone (which is generally riding with my hubby)! Thank you all for setting the example! :heart

Just out of curiosity how many women were at the rally ? It seemed as if only about 10% of the participants were woman. However, my mental percentages are always just estimates.

I was the Awards and Tallies chair this year and I'm actually not sure of the exact percentage of women at the rally but we did take down that information and input it into the computer.

Lots of my women friends stopped by the booth to say hi so my perception is to say it was higher but that probably isn't true. :)

Sharon

We difinitely had more women in the GS Giants area this year. Last year, there were two or three in addition to myself. This year, we had well over a dozen.

Great job, Ladies!

D'Lilah, if you ever get a chance to attend one of Voni's seminar's don't miss it. She, as well as all of her participants are extremely inspirational.

Three years ago after listening to the ladies I vowed to myself that I would ride a solo long distance ride. I did that two years ago to Bend, OR (completing a SaddleSore 1000 on the way). Last year I rode solo across country to the seminar making a few side trips. Total of 7200 solo sMiles...and all inspired by the women I met at Voni's seminars.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Thank you again, Voni!:hug

Connecting with Women in the MOA

Sorry you missed our annual Women Who Ride seminar. Saturday But we did all agree to meet here so I'm hoping you'll make lots more connections on the forum. A beginning of life long friends!

Welcome!

Voni
sMiling

Thought I'd chime in here. I rode to this year's International Rally solo from MA which makes this my third solo trip west of the Mississippi River - the first two were to CO and environs. I love doing these trips on my own for the freedom and the sense of empowerment I get. Even now most people I talk with are surprised that I ride mostly alone and for long distances. I encourage all of you to do the solo "thing" as it's such a kick and you learn so much about yourself in the process. I did this year's trip because I so needed the time alone after riding for the past several years with a H-D rider who in the end wasn't for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Women Who Ride seminar - it was so great to be with other women who ride and hear their stories and feel the energy of being together. Wish I could get that on a weekly basis! :p

Louise

Thought I'd chime in here. I rode to this year's International Rally solo from MA which makes this my third solo trip west of the Mississippi River - the first two were to CO and environs. I love doing these trips on my own for the freedom and the sense of empowerment I get. Even now most people I talk with are surprised that I ride mostly alone and for long distances. I encourage all of you to do the solo "thing" as it's such a kick and you learn so much about yourself in the process. I did this year's trip because I so needed the time alone after riding for the past several years with a H-D rider who in the end wasn't for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Women Who Ride seminar - it was so great to be with other women who ride and hear their stories and feel the energy of being together. Wish I could get that on a weekly basis! :p

Louise

You can get that great feeling. Here. Every day. If we all post more!

Thanks for sharing your joy in riding solo. There's sure nothing like it!

Voni
sMiling

Lone Rider in a Lone tent

Along with my Lone Rider Tent by Catoma, my '83 R65LS, Little Red Baron and I travelled alone to the rally. It is empowering for sure and also very freeing as there is no signalling or catching up with other bikes to say ya want to stop to itch something, change something, rush at gas fillups, rest, and the usual after all that water consumption!! I rode part way home with a couple from my home area but then decided to go alone again as just less stressful...really. Don't worry, I never thought I'd think this way either!

Sometimes I worry about breaking down in all that heat. With the best pre-ride maintenance and a bit of luck, our bikes are pretty reliable. LRB out did himself as absolutely nothing went amiss. But just in case something does take us to the side of the road someday I think about how many bikes will stop to help...all those who wave, pretty well, and also think about ALL the new friends for life you will have a chance to meet and thank. Sure it might be a hassle at first....just try to relax, sit back, get water and shade and use the spot, cellphone, credit card, CAA/AAA, BMW anonymous book etc. to think you're way outta the fix. There is no need to rush with panic. It won't fix the problem any faster. One needs to be somewhat calm to think clearly. I just hope to be successful at staying calm! Not my best attribute! One reason to pack an umbrella.....shade.

Yup, riding alone is a good thing but even better would be the perfect riding partner. Very hard to find but the whole riding situation for long distances puts 2 people into a relationship that can be closer than an average marriage situation.
So it is tough to choose a good riding buddy. I sure envy those who have someone though but in the meantime riding alone is just fine, given the tradeoffs.

Women riding on their own

snip, snip

Sometimes I worry about breaking down in all that heat. With the best pre-ride maintenance and a bit of luck, our bikes are pretty reliable. LRB out did himself as absolutely nothing went amiss. But just in case something does take us to the side of the road someday I think about how many bikes will stop to help...all those who wave, pretty well, and also think about ALL the new friends for life you will have a chance to meet and thank. Sure it might be a hassle at first....just try to relax, sit back, get water and shade and use the spot, cellphone, credit card, CAA/AAA, BMW anonymous book etc. to think you're way outta the fix. There is no need to rush with panic. It won't fix the problem any faster. One needs to be somewhat calm to think clearly. I just hope to be successful at staying calm! Not my best attribute! One reason to pack an umbrella.....shade.

Yup, riding alone is a good thing but even better would be the perfect riding partner. Very hard to find but the whole riding situation for long distances puts 2 people into a relationship that can be closer than an average marriage situation.
So it is tough to choose a good riding buddy. I sure envy those who have someone though but in the meantime riding alone is just fine, given the tradeoffs.

I discovered last fall (on Labor Day no less!) that a breakdown is not the end of the world when the clutch on my R1150R gave out (splines were completely gone - expensive fix). And, yeah, there was some panic. But..... it's why the Anonymous Book lives on the bike. And it worked! A huge sigh of relief.

It is, indeed, tough to choose a good riding buddy. But when you find one, they are to be cherished. I'm half looking now but enjoy the alone time so much that I'm not in a tizzy about it (and dancing alone at the Fri and Sat nite entertainment was an absolute blast!). The pluses of riding alone are huge - like you say, you can do what you want, when you want, how you want. I wish I had had the chance to meet you at the rally. I rode a 1980 R65 from 1983 until 2005 when I got the bike I have now which I enjoy the heck out of! I've had to learn to slow down on it due to too many speeding tickets. :D

Louise

Louise and Sue, you truly are an inspiration to me. I, too, have recently "lost" my riding buddy of two years. No, not by death! Although in some ways, it feels like a death to me. Anywho...I am starting out my solo riding career this weekend going to the Damn Yankees rally, which is about 330 miles away from my house. No huge trip for most of you, but huge for me! I will be meeting up with another friend and her boyfriend about halfway up the route, but even though I am meeting up with them, I still feel "alone". I am packing on my own, with my own tent, shelter, etc., so the preparations are all just me. I have a lot of weekend trips planned through the end of September. One weekend I am meeting up with no one, so it will be just me. I want to see if I can learn to love the motorcycle (and camping) on my own, or if it was just me loving the common interest that we had fostered. He already rode and camped; I joined in and found it fulfilling.

I was unable to make it to the rally this year. I was in Bloomsburg last year, but didn't make an effort to meet a lot of people (honestly) because I was with him and our club. Now I wish I had done so. I have met Ardys (she came to our rally two years ago) and I loved her!

I am looking forward to new adventures and meeting new people on this next part of my journey. You girls are the best!

Get out there, Tonya! And post when you get back and let us know how you made out!

It's hardest to take the first step...er mile! :thumb

It'll be great!

Louise, we are all behind you 100 per cent. Someday, lets' make a point of meeting!! Maybe the Finger Lakes Rally on labour day weekend??

:wave
Sue who would love to meet some other riders on R65's even if it is not your current ride.

Back