• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Quebec Province in August - Suggestions?

deilenberger

A bozo on the bus
Wandering around Quebec Province?

A number of us are planning a one week trip up and around Quebec Province at the end of next month (week of 18th-26th or so)..

We are planning on hanging out in Montreal for a night or two, then waffle via back roads along the river to Levis - where we'll stay - and take the ferry to Quebec's old city. Perhaps 2 nights at Levis.

I'm quite familiar with Quebecs old city - been there MANY times in the past 40 years (SWMBO and I took our first vacation together and accidently ended up in the Frontenac for 3 nights, back when it was $16/night..), but much less so with Montreal. Somehow I've always just driven through Montreal (well, I did spend a night there once when in college, trying to get lucky, with no success.. and I did go to the Worlds Fair there a few times.)

So - anyone have recommendations in/around Montreal?

Decent not horribly expensive place to stay that's bike friendly? And where there may be public transit to interesting downtown places?

Downtown places that are recommended? For food? Sightseeing? Is the underground city worth visiting?

How about between Montreal and Levis (figure the south side of the St. Lawrence) - anything not to miss? And then between Levis and the top of New Hampshire (we're going to waffle down through HN and VT on the way home.) I did pencil in Thetford Mines (just so the other people on the ride can see the worlds largest open-pit asbestos mine..) and Sherbrooke..

My usual goal is to stay off highways as much as possible.. I'm hoping one of our group had at least high-school French, although it's never been a big problem other times I've caged through QP.

My only problem traveling in Canada is having huge holds placed on credit and debit cards for fuel sales, motel stays, and the like. $150 hold for filling a bike with gas? Yikes! The holds usually don't go away for a week, sometimes several days after the actual charges go through.

Others report a different situation, just be aware. Your card issuer may also shut your card off for traveling out of country. Happened to me in Nova Scotia last year, but I was able to get it turned back on as soon as I got in an area with cell service again.

Last year I couldn't find any places that took Visa in parts of New Brunswick and Quebec, but green cash usually works in most places. I also take Canadian currency.

Quebec & Montreal

I live across the river from downtown Montreal & have ridden the local south shore roads for 3 decades. I would gladly fill you in on what you can do and where to grab the smoked meat etc.
Much construction & road repairs in the city .( suggestions can be made to get around without too much sweat). I suggest the south shore with easy access to the metro ( subway ) which would take you downtown in ten minutes. Small motels ( Comfort Inn etc are close to the two bridges & less expensive.
South shore rides between Montreal & Levis are numerous ( rte 132 along the St Lawrence) throuh small french canadian villages etc.

I will give you more details if U R interested & also check on the hotel names for U.

Bryant

Bryant,

Thanks MUCH!

My plan was 132 - as close to the southern Saint Lawrence shore as possible all the way from Montreal to Levis. We have an entire day to do it, so it shouldn't be a problem of time. Some hints on good eats are always welcome, as would be any hotel recommendations for Montreal or the area. I'd rather stay out of the center of Montreal on the bike since that's just not fun - and use mass transit (Metro is great - at least it was the last time I was on it about 45 years ago..) to get in and out of town.

What I found interesting seaching on the web - I'm guessing it's the general world economy - but even 4 star hotels in downtown Quebec are having some really great rates - $130/cnd per night or less. Surprised me since last time I was up that way - rates were much higher. I guess people aren't travelling as much as they usually do..

Montreal

will ck on south shore hotels & get back to you...day long metro parking at Longueuil Metro Station which is at the south shore base of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

After 9:30 AM , one can easily ride over Victoria Bridge into Old Montreal in 10 min. Will give you some names of restaurants that are easy to get to & park.

132 from Montreal to Quebec city / Levis should be no more than 5 hr at a leisurely pace.

Bryant

will ck on south shore hotels & get back to you...day long metro parking at Longueuil Metro Station which is at the south shore base of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

After 9:30 AM , one can easily ride over Victoria Bridge into Old Montreal in 10 min. Will give you some names of restaurants that are easy to get to & park.

132 from Montreal to Quebec city / Levis should be no more than 5 hr at a leisurely pace.

Bryant

Bryant - thanks much! Looking forward to it. Perhaps we can get together while we're in the area.. I can PM you some contact info.

Don

132 along the Saint Lawrence is freaking awesome. I love that road and my only regret was having to turn off to head to Saint John. I wish I could have kept going to the Atlantic. We did work our way from North Bay, Ontario to Quebec city by heading through Mont Tremblant. I can't remember all the little towns along the way or the routes taken but that was an awesome experience as well. We have made 2 trips across Canada and Quebec City is one of our favorite places in the world. Hotel 71 in the old city is a great place to stay. You have to park in a garage about a block away but it has a security guard. If you know that city it is wired with cameras everywhere anyway so theft of your bike or vandalism is not much of a threat.

I don't know how you navigate but I used a Garmin 550 on my RT. I went into my settings and enabled avoidances and I always checked highways. For the most part you will never hit any. It is somewhat unavoidable to navigate between some of the areas up there without being on the big slabs for some short bursts. To me the only real hairy traffic is in Montreal. Ottawa and Quebec are not bad for traffic. The rest of the province is butter. One of the reasons I love Canada besides the natural beauty is the fact they have nice roads and nobody on them outside of the cities.

Have fun and I know you will. I am jealous as I just love that area. Poutine galore awaits you along with some of the most friendly people on the planet!

P.S. Neither my wife or I know one lick of French. We had no issues getting around or asking questions. Their bad English is better than your bad French. All the restaurants in the it cities have menus in English or pretty good English speaking waiters. In the outskirts you will not find the same and that's when your tendency to use a French accent while asking questions in English will kick in, you know that helps. You can still make it. As said before I don't know anything past bonjour and I have a thick southern accent so bonjour sounds nothing like it should so I don't even say that as I think it would just piss them off. I find the language difference not a barrier but just a speed bump.

Kevin,

Thanks. I've been wandering around Quebec province for a lot of decades, typically by car. Did the route along the St. Lawrence on the north side a few decades ago, that was a fun drive. Have wandered around south of Quebec and into Maine/NH a number of times (loved the one crossing into Maine where no one manned the crossing - there was a sign telling you to go into town, about 20 miles away, and report at the police station.. I'm betting that has changed now..)

We're thinking of staying in Levis, since bikes are allowed there (and not in the old city), and the ferry is convenient and cheap - and leaves you off very close to the Funicular to go to the upper old city. When we first started going to Quebec, the lower city hadn't been tourist-fied. It was still a working port town, with one jazz club that we loved. We got to watch it get fixed up over the course of several decades.

I'll be using my Navigator-III, which I think has the option for avoidances (have to look..) I know the trip planning I'm using (the Harley trip planner - which is excellent) does have a single click for each leg of the route to "Avoid Highways" (and creates routes and dumps them right into the GPS.. and it's free.)

Unfortunately my diet precludes Poutine.. but maybe my traveling companions may get some and I can mooch.

My wife and I also speak no French at all - but we found that English speaking people are usually around, and helpful, that "point at something" usually works, and that you can have a great time in a bar at night even when no one there speaks English, and we spoke no French. Everyone spoke booze. :) :bottle

Best Chinese food...Restaurant Hong Kong (Gen Toa to die for, awesome BBQpork)
St-Laurent Boul between Viger and La Gaucheti?¿re

Best Smoked Meat...Schwartz's deli...World Famous...3895 St-Laurent Boul...avoid 'standard' meal times...long lines

Best ribs...Bar-B-Barn...downtown, Guy St or west end, Boul Des Sources

Activities...depends on what you're into...something for everyone...Montreal is 'festival city'

Best Blues club...Bistro a JoJo...1627 St-Denis st (live bands every night...music starts around 10pm)

Best Strip club...Chez Par?®e...1258 Stanley st (not that you'd be into that sort of thing)

Aug 18-28...Montreal World Film Festival

Aug 19-21...Montreal Classic Boat Festival

Aug 19-20...Nascar Nationwide Series: Napa Auto Parts 200

Aug 20-21...Montreal Reggae Festival

Lots of museums...great restaurants...great parks...people watching...

speed safely
D

but we found that English speaking people are usually around, and helpful, that "point at something" usually works

I speak some French, but find this is a great addition to the tankbag:

7662328056_ef507a217e.jpg

Hotel - Mtl south shore

Don,
South shore hotels are less expensive than downtown. The following R within a couple of miles to each of the 3 bridges into the city & the Metro where you can easily park.
Bridges :
Champlain ( rte 15 )
Victoria : closest to Old Montreal
Jacques Cartier : access to eastern parts of Montreal
Comfort Inn,7863 Taschereau Blvd,Brossard. 450-678-9350
Econo Lodge,8350 Taschereau Blvd,Brossard 450-466-2186
Quality Inns & Suites,6680 Taschereau Blvd..Brossard 450-671-7213

Champlain Motel, 7600 Boul Marie Victorin,Brossard..450-671-2299 ( small, privately owned near Champlain Bridge.

Gas stations, restaurants & most services found on Taschereau Blvd.
In Old Montreal many restos & bars to be found. The following I can mention & have been to in the last six months.
Bonapart Resto..French 443 Saint Francois Xavier , Montreal H2Y 2T1 514-844-4368
La Gargote..French..351 Place d"youville,Montreal H2Y 2B7..514-844-1428
Le Bourlingueur..363 Francois Xavier, Montreal H2Y 3P9..514-845-3646
Casa de Mateo,440 St Francois Xavier,Montreal, 514-844-7448
Porto Mar..Portuguese ..one block down from Le Boulingueur.

I have no major plans for out of town trips in august & if around could help show you around. NO PROBLEMS with english in Old Montreal...will continue about local rides in next post.
Bryant

Quebec & Montreal

Don,

Part of the ride to Quebec/Levis can be along the Richelieu River between Beloeil on the rte 20 & Sorel on rte 132. The ride is along the river most of the way and intersects several small villages ( St Marc, St Antoine & St Roch ). Beloeil is only 20 minutes from Mtl.

A pretty ride

B.

Bryant,

Thanks MUCH. I'll try to contact you as the date gets closer (we're still not sure which night we'll arrive in the Montreal area, probably Saturday the 18th..) And I'll look at some of your motel suggestions.

Thanks again!

Back