Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maine coast trip suggestions?

We did the Lubec cross over to Campobello in July - stopped at the little ferry to go over & talked to bikers going over to NB - we just did the light house & Campobello grounds for the day. Tom - I have not seen the new cross over at Calais - I do remember getting stuck in the log jam before crossing over & taking turns at the gas station & food stop at the crossing - where we saved spots for people to goto the bathroom.get food.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

What would be the best lobster pound on M.D.I. ?
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi
    "He's gone and nothin gone bring him back"

cooked or alive?
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

cooked
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi
    "He's gone and nothin gone bring him back"

thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the pointers, had a great trip, 2708 miles in 10 days.
    Rolled in labor day. Found http://www.bassharborcottages.com/ on the quiet side with the help of the chamber of commerce, were the only ones there. Inn keepers rides a K75.
    Made it to Cadillac Mtn, the beach, Bar Harbor when a cruse ship was not in, Seal Cove Auto (and MC and bicycle) museum, and Schoodic pennisula.
    Went up to 9 and east to US1 for lunch at Cohill's Inn at Lubec then a hike off 191 to the coast at Grand Manan Channel.
    Blueberry pancakes were good, as was the local beer. Lobster was cheep at $3.75 - 4.00/lb live. If you want it cooked and with a few sides, then dinner for 2 went up to $40.
    Can't wait to go again....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
    Can't wait to go again....
    Cross into Canada next time, ride the Gaspe, Cabot Trail, Saguenay. Similar terrain, different country.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Cross into Canada next time,
    My brother has taken a job in Halifax NS, moving up this fall. We'll "have" to visit often.
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
    My brother has taken a job in Halifax NS, moving up this fall. We'll "have" to visit often.
    Sweet!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I have a friend who work for the port of Halifax,NS we meet at Down east Rally /Hermit Island,Me. each yr.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

The Raven
    For future visitors;

Take it from someone with local knowledge who lives 10 miles from Belfast. Stay in Belfast or Camden. MDI is nice, but as you can see from the recommendations all the folks from away go there, as do the cruise ships, as do the workers.....get my drift...EVERYONE goes there and I have seen backups to get on the island at times over the causeway due to a light at the end. Yes it is pretty...but so is the rest of the coast and just inland. Honesty MDI got ruined when they started catering to the cruise lines...now Bar Harbor is overrun.

If you want to see the real Maine on the cheap, Belfast, Bucksport, and inland is the way to go. If you have money and time to blow...MDI is the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by adamppaul View Post
    For future visitors;

If you want to see the real Maine on the cheap, Belfast, Bucksport, and inland is the way to go. If you have money and time to blow...MDI is the place to be.
    Nothing wrong with Belfast, Camden, etc. except Acadia isn't there. It doesn't take much effort to avoid crowds, spend next to nothing, and take in the best views on the Maine coast, which are mostly on MDI. Those other towns can be just as spendy as Bar Harbor if you don't travel like a local.

Traffic? Get up with the sun and the first 4 or 5 hours on the roads are yours alone.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Nothing wrong with Belfast, Camden, etc. except Acadia isn't there. It doesn't take much effort to avoid crowds, spend next to nothing, and take in the best views on the Maine coast, which are mostly on MDI. Those other towns can be just as spendy as Bar Harbor if you don't travel like a local.

Traffic? Get up with the sun and the first 4 or 5 hours on the roads are yours alone.
    Yep, have to agree with this! We stayed in Belfast and did the quick trip up to MDI in the morning (on Labor Day weekend no less) and had a great day touring Acadia and environs. Not to say that there isn't also great scenery and nice towns inland and elsewhere along the coast... there definitively is! Make a week of it if you can and enjoy Maine... one of my favorite places in the country!
    Carl

'93 K75RT

The Mid-Coast Area

One of the great things to see in the Rockland area is The Owl's Head Transportation
    Museum (http://www.ohtm.org/). It is well worth a look, if you are looking for a place
    to camp in the area, I would recommend The Lobster Buoy campground which is about
    3-4 miles down the road from the museum. There is a great place to get cooked lobsters
    about 1/2 mile down the road from the campground and you can eat them outside by
    the ocean. If you are a Blues Fan the best time to visit
    this area is in July during the North Atlantic Blues Festival
    (http://www.northatlanticbluesfestiva...lues-festival/).

Try here. The rides and destinations were phenomenal: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Main...%20Weekend.htm
    Ed

Best Motorcycling in New England & Eastern New York:
    http://www.newenglandriders.org/Best...NewEngland.htm

The Raven
    I don't know...I was in Bar Harbor today for work. Yeah...it is pretty, but everyone but Beemup and I posting here are from "away" all you guys are drawn to Bar Harbor because it's simply where tourists like to go. It's not the real Maine. I was laughing to myself while passing all the lobster pounds, trinket shops, and driving ranges on RT3 that all these shops close up in September, in October Bar Harbor is a ghost town. It's like an abandoned amusement park.

Tourist Lobster "pounds"? The only place I see them are in the tourist areas...only a tourist would want to sit on the side of the road in the sun to eat a hot lobster and corn from what is basically old boiling water in a pot.

What really killed the appeal of Bar Harbor were the damn cruise ships. Sure the locals love them down there as they are making money.....but the congestion, prices and compromised views of a previously beautiful vista are not worth it.

To each thier own....but if you come to Maine to see Maine...then spend some time exploring beyond MDI. If you want to come to Maine to see what LLBean and Downeast likes to pretend what Maine is...then hit MDI and take it all in.

Do I ever go for pleasure? Yes....in October after the NPS shuts down saasonal activities. The tourists are mostly gone, the park loop is free to ride and unpatrolled. The ships are gone leaving the natural views. The best local eats are still open. But before that...no thanks.