• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Your thoughts on this close call video??

Dude was flat out lucky to be able to miss that SUV that was clearly over the center line.

Too much speed and bravado for the traffic, that's what you get when you show your a** in public.

Both the driver and the rider were (so to speak) out of line. It took both of their actions simultaneously to create this close call.

Thoughts:

1. If that SUV would have hit that guy it probably would have killed him.
2. He was lucky.
3. They make tracks for that kind of riding.
4. He has mad scooter skills.
5. It takes a special kind of dude to wear full leathers on a scooter.
6. 王八蛋 盲灣還想要雙黃線超車

Agree, too fast for traffic. Looks to me like the SUV driver was attempting to pull in the pull out on the left, probably looked, but the rider profile was too low and small to see from their vantage point.

THAT is why I ride to right of the lane with oncoming traffic or around blind corners. The edge of the road does not move, moving stuff is unpredictable.

Rider should be glad he and the SUV driver had quick reaction skills.

Looks to me like the SUV driver was attempting to pull in the pull out on the left....

That's an interesting point. I was trying to figure out why the SUV crossed the yellow. Any reason besides innatentive driving. Now, if he was going for the turnout, he's foolish and he was doing it poorly, but it does explain why he might be over the line.

To me, the scooter is driving carelessly with little regard for his safety, but not breaking any laws. The SUV is breaking a law, and a critical and important law. The SUV would be at fault, but that doesn't mean much when you are dead.

Keeping to your own side of the road means keeping ALL of your vehicle on your side. While the SUV was over the center line, so was the bike even though tecnically his tires were on his side. His angle of lean put much of the bike and him on the wrong side of the line.

Bad on both of them.

I think the scooter rider apexed too early (from what we can see of the corner in the video) . That said, he has very good skills. Riding like a "hooligan" probably saved his life. If he rode like a 'good little boy" all the time he would never have developed the reflexes and bike control that kept him from becoming a hood ornament. My two cents, you asked for 'em.

All great points. And yes, re-watching, the rider was over the centerline which didn't stand out to me on the first view. Nice catch.

The first three cars (yellow, white, black) are pulling to their right, no doubt to avoid the scooter that's leaning into their lane.

The SUV, while not initially seeing the scooter, was probably starting to pass the cars until he sees the scooter.

It looks like that scooter is driving twice as fast as oncoming traffic.

opinion

The rider was an idiot to be riding that aggressively with that much traffic. He's lucky he's still alive. Obviously, he has skills but he needs to ride based on the conditions.

The rider was an idiot to be riding that aggressively with that much traffic. He's lucky he's still alive. Obviously, he has skills but he needs to ride based on the conditions.

I would have to agree. While that was a pretty impressive evasive move, If had chosen a safer lane position, such a drastic manouver should not have been necessary.

That road is not the place for that kind of riding. No question, the SUV was out of place, but the scooter-shooter was not in a position to anticipate a problem. Thank God he is o.k.

More

"...Keeping to your own side of the road means keeping ALL of your vehicle on your side..."
"Keeping to your own side of the road means keeping ALL of your vehicle AND YOUR BODY on your side"

Agree, too fast for traffic. Looks to me like the SUV driver was attempting to pull in the pull out on the left, probably looked, but the rider profile was too low and small to see from their vantage point.

THAT is why I ride to right of the lane with oncoming traffic or around blind corners. The edge of the road does not move, moving stuff is unpredictable.

I recently put your "ride to the right" advice to good use on a twisty road where all the hot rodding cage drivers try to straighten the road out by crossing the double yellow and literally going straight, this they believe is high performance driving!

To those who say the scooter should have been going slower I offer this, What if he/she had been a little later to that point on the road? The suv might have been comitted to it's manuever and not been able to swerve back in line. Then there's the thought that had the scooter been going fasterthat it would have been past the point where the suv could have done it any harm at all. It's very difficult to weed out all of the possibilities.

There is certainly a lot of advice out there that when approaching a RH curve, especially a blind one, you should be out near the centerline to better see what is coming as well as the road surface. That is what I do, but with the knowledge that my speed must be low enough to move to the right if there is a car partially in my lane.

Do you disagree with that?

There is certainly a lot of advice out there that when approaching a RH curve, especially a blind one, you should be out near the centerline to better see what is coming as well as the road surface. That is what I do, but with the knowledge that my speed must be low enough to move to the right if there is a car partially in my lane.

Do you disagree with that?

No I don't disagree, yes, start wide as practical for the sight line, then be heading for an apex near the inside edge. In long blind RH turns I also enter as wide as practical for max sight distance, but the apex is then what you can see, then I ride the inside edge. Gravel is generally worse in the middle of the lane, and it is generally quicker and easier to move wide, than to tighten it up, should there be an obstacle.

On real narrow roads without two distinct lanes, hugging the right is prudent, except to gain forward vision when safe, even on LH turns.

Back