• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacing The Cooling Fan On A 2007 F650GS

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Appears my wife's fan is kaput on her 2007 F650GS.

I disconected the fan from the wiring harness and hooked the fan directly to a battery. Did not activate and the wiring started to get warm; I believe that means the fan motor is faulty. She's had the bike for 5 years and cannot recall ever hearing the fan run. The bike overheated for the first time during a recent riding course. The temperature was over 100 degrees and she had to idle a great deal, so the bike was pushed to it's limits.

Anyone replace one of these? Can it be done without removing the radiator?

Are you thinking the radiator has to be moved to get to the fan or does the radiator have to be removed to allow amply work space. If you think you just need the room why not remove the front wheel and front forks instead of the radiator? IIRC removing the wheel/forks on my 07 only took approx 10 minutes. That seems to be a lot easier then draining the coolant and removing the radiator.

Anna (bmwgsrider) had the fan on her '06 replaced, perhaps she can shed some light on this for you. I believe she is currently on her way home from Sadilia but I will point her towards this thread in hopes she can answer your question.

I assume it is not much, if any, different than a 2001. Remove side cover, unclip MoDiTeC plug (whatever that is) from its holder, unplug fan, disengage clips at top and bottom, remove fan.

I had an 08 ST. The fan and shroud can off straight off the front, as described. I suppose yours is the same.
In 3 years I doubt if my fan came on more than 2 or 3 times.
dc

Thanks.

Annie says she has never heard the fan run in the almost 5 years she's had the bike. We were riding on some steep back roads in temps in the 90s and it overheated. We rode 360 miles to het home and it did okay on the highways. I'll check it today to see if I can get the old fan off as indicated above.

Another Question

I have the old fan out and a new one on order. I confirmed that there is a dead short in the old fan and am wondering why it did not blow a fuse. I've checked the fuses and all are good. Should I expect another problem when I install the new fan, such as the temperature sensor?

Back