• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cleaning the inner sun shield, don't do this...

xp8103

I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 helmet. I've cleaned the inner sun shield a bunch of times. Take it out, clean it, put it back. I've use the S100 stuff mostly because that is what was in my bag. Sometimes it's just breath and a soft cloth.

Yesterday I went to clean my face shield and inner shield and used one of those two part cleaners that they use for electronic screens. I've used them on my sheild, on my windshield on the bike.... No problems at all

Well, this one for some reason softened up the coating on the sun shield something awful, to the point where I couldn't wipe it off. Ruined. The sun sheild felt like I could dig my finger nail into it. And regardless of what I used, I couldn't clean it off.

So, it's a $19.95 less (new shield).

Just beware.

I think you have partially dissolved the anti-fog coating that the visor has on the inside; if you don't mind not having that feature (until you need to replace it for other reason), clean it with a harsh chemical, something like CLR applied pure to a soft scrubbing sponge, or you can also try with Goo-gone by spraying it and letting it work a few minutes, maybe repeating.

that's possible. At $19.95 I just ordered a new one. I'd wonder how the CLR or other might attach the plastic?

that's possible. At $19.95 I just ordered a new one. I'd wonder how the CLR or other might attach the plastic?

CLR is a sulfuric acid compound for dissolving calcium and magnesium salts tha build up through evaporation and don't readily dissolve in low pressure water.

The coatin likely softened from alcohol (ethanol or IPA) in the cleaner. The coating is likely a low density polymer akin to a wax that doesn't respond well to organic solvents or ammonia, which is why they are anti fog.

Back