Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 year old Grandson died.

2 year old Grandson died.

Hello fellow riders.
    Oct 4th, we lost our little Rhory James to a damned virus. The Medical Examiner found he had Respiratory Syncytial Virus & Human Parainfluenza Virus type 3. Apparently the virus caused a lack of oxygen to his brain resulting in his death.
    His 2nd birthday was Sept 30, a Tuesday and we were over at our Son's house for the party. Little Rhory was not feeling too good, didn't want cake or presents, just wanted his daddy to hold him and he bopped a few balloons around.

The next morning he woke up with a slight fever, so Zac took him to the docs to get checked out. They thought it was mild pneumonia and treated with antibiotics and sent him home.
    The next morning Rhory woke up and couldn't swallow very well or even stand up, so Zac rushed him back to the hospital and they did an MRI and other tests. The results prompted a call for Life Flight to chopper him from Lewiston, ID up to Sacred Heart Children's hospital in Spokane, WA where after more tests and treatments, little Rhory died Saturday, just 4 days after his birthday. It happened so fast, we were all in shock.

Well the medical bills have started coming in and although Zac works full time for ATK (ammunition co) and has insurance, the insurance has denied payment on the $36,855 Life Flight bill and only partial coverage on several others.
    My 23 year old son is facing over $40,000 in medical expenses and climbing.
    So as a result, I have been parting out my beautiful 02 Meanstreak of some of it's upgrades and will be selling the bike to help Zac with some of the bills and we're trying everything else we can think of so he's not financially ruined as well as losing his 2 year old boy.
    rhory2014-2.jpg
    http://www.gofundme.com/i88o9o
    God bless, Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday season to you all. For those with little ones/grandkids etc...hug them every chance you get.
    2000 R1100RS
    2002 Meanstreak 1500
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE (Wife's bike)

My condolences to your family. That's just terrible news.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

My heart felt condolences to the parents, you and your family. I cannot imagine a more tragic loss.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

God has another sweet angel. So sorry for what you are going through right now. Not mine nor yours to question the why; but for me, to just try.....TRY.....to ACCEPT HIS will............oh, so sorry BUD.....God bless YOU.........Dennis

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    [QUOTE=cigars;966185]http://www.gofundme.com/i88o9o

As someone who also lost a son suddenly it is my pleasure to help in his memory. Will be praying for the family.

The pain must be unimaginable. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Cal
    My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

Thanks everyone. Yes, it's been extremely difficult. As Christmas grows near, we've noticed Zac not wanting to be at his house much either. He's been spending more and more time here so I know it's really tough for him. Christmas this year will surely be a difficult one.
    I just wanted to share a pic from last Christmas with you all that I ran across yesterday. He was so funny on the little ATV we bought him. Was prepping him for a BMW one day.
    rhory2013.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 R1100RS
    2002 Meanstreak 1500
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE (Wife's bike)

One Ring To Rule Them All AirBender's Avatar

Unhappy Words are not enough

What a tragic and heart wrenching loss. May your family find a way to gain strength from each other.
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing (sold), 2015 San Marino Blue BMW R1200RT

So very sorry. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Dan & Geri
    Dan

I thought of something else this morning. Insurance companies always negotiate lower costs. Because of this, I believe providers inflate their costs. However, they bill the higher rate to individuals without insurance. I'll leave my comments out on what I think of this practice, but your son needs to contact the provider(s) and negotiate a lower costs. I've heard most providers will lower the bill if asked; however, I don't have first hand knowledge of this.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I thought of something else this morning. Insurance companies always negotiate lower costs. Because of this, I believe providers inflate their costs. However, they bill the higher rate to individuals without insurance. I'll leave my comments out on what I think of this practice, but your son needs to contact the provider(s) and negotiate a lower costs. I've heard most providers will lower the bill if asked; however, I don't have first hand knowledge of this.
    I've thought for years that the best health care reform that could have been enacted would have been a law that says that a provider cannot charge more for a service for an uninsured patient than they charge for their lowest negotiated rate with any insurer. Simple and effective.
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red (for the epic road trips)
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray (for the track)
    2014 KLR 650, White/Black (for the TAT)

Sorry for your loss.

Look into the possibility of assistance for these medical bills. There may be a program for that; there is one in New York.

Harry
    1986 K75C - traded in for:
    2003 R1150RT - Sold to make way for:
    2015 R1200GS Alpine White

NYrider
    Cute boy. That must be so very painful. I'm so sorry.
    NYrider

What a heartbreaking loss. I can't even fathom the pain.

Appeal the denials and negotiate with the providers.
    2015 R1200GS Adventure