• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pulling trailer with R1200RT

tgf429

Plasterman
What weights of trailers are people pulling with their RT's? Do you think the drive train will hold up as well as my LT did
??

Last edited:
I pulled a Bushtec Quantum with several K12LT's, and I am currently using a UniGo. I am also now on an R12RT. I would not hesitate to pull a Quantum with the RT.

The trailer weight is not so much a drivetrain concern (remember, people used to/still do pull camper trailers with R100RT's), as it is a frame/subframe and brakes issue.

The frame/subframe on the R12 has proven to not be an issue, as shown by lots of R12RT's with Bushtec and DMC hitches.

The brakes on the RT are at least as good as the LT's and they are handling something like 250+ lbs less of bike weiht, to boot -- so no issue there.

I have a Bushtec Turbo+2 that I use for camping and going to the beach. It weighs 140 lbs with a 350 GVW capacity. It pulls like a dream and you almost forget it's back there. I actually think it stabilizes the ride like a tail on a kite. The bike has plenty of power with two up cruising on the expressway and doesn't seem to stress it at all. It is probably easier on the frame / suspension since the trailer hitch tongue weight of 10%-15% of load is no more than 50 lbs.

I am very interested in the Bushtec trailers that you have mentioned. Is there anyway you could post a picture so I can see how they look with your bike. I also have a 1200RT...Thanks

Bushtec Turbo+2 pictures

Here's the trailer that was painted by Bushtec to match the Piedmont red (sent them the front fender to match).
Also a photo of the Bushtec trailer hitch that I installed. Good fit and clear instructions.

IMG_1474_3.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

Here's the trailer that was painted by Bushtec to match the Piedmont red (sent them the front fender to match).
Also a photo of the Bushtec trailer hitch that I installed. Good fit and clear instructions.

IMG_1474_3.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

And now you better spent the money to paint that 49L Top case to match the rest of this beautiful set up. :)

color match paint

That's exactly what I was thinking!
Looks like a nice setup, interested in doing the same thing.
Question, should I have my expert ( $$) paint shop paint mine, or the bushtec folks?

Reel Job
2011 R1200RT/ Polar Silver

Nice. I will post some of mine if I can find them. Beware of the Dauntless (DMC) hitch, it has clearance issues and terrible customer service.

If I can pull a Bushtec Quantum with a 35 year old Airhead you won't have any trouble with your 1200RT.

They also sell hitches, and are excellent to deal with!

Attachments

• DSC00651.jpg
    DSC00651.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 184
Thank you so much for the pictures and the information. I really how it looks on the RT1200. I was thinking about the ZZ Trailer, but after seeing how great yours looks, I think I may have changed my mind...and don't sweat the tour pack, your set-up looks great. Maybe I will see you on the road someday.

Bushtec trailer

And now you better spent the money to paint that 49L Top case to match the rest of this beautiful set up. :)

I just purchased a 1996 bushtec trailer this past weekend, to tow with a 2011 Rt 1200RT. ( on EBay)
What year is your cycle, and did you buy your hitch from bushtec?
What lbs. do you run the air at ?
Mines the same color as yours, but my Cycle is "polar silver"/ baby blue !
Any info will help, as I need hitch, wiring, paint job, spare tire, and to take apart and paint the frame, and square it away for a ride to the end and back from RI. !
My top box is already color matched thou !
Reel Job
Polar Silver 2011 R1200RT
Steve
401-741-6551

Bushtec hitch

If you go to the Bushtec Trailer Hitches for BMW site you will see the hitch for your bike. There is also a link to a 10 page installation manual for the hitch at that location.

They also have the electrical kit for the lighting system that is compatible with the Can Bus. There are two kits at:

R1200RT harness 1
"The relay isolator easily and properly connects and isolates your trailers electrical load from the motorcycles factory wiring, fuses, relays and computers and electronics. The main power and ground comes from the battery. Plug-n-Play Subharness for the BMW R1200RT motorcycle is used in lieu of the universal subharness. THIS PART IS REQUIRED IF YOUR MOTORCYCLE HAS A CAN BUS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM."

AND

R1200RT harness 2
"Module for Can Bus electrical system for the BMW R1200RT only. Use the Can Bus Module in lieu of the electronic relay isolator package. THIS PART IS REQUIRED IF YOUR MOTORCYCLE HAS A CAN BUS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM."

Call them to find out which one to use.

The kit is excellent and plugs right in without having to modify or cut any wires.

The installation was very straight forward and fit the frame perfectly.

Last edited:
Back