Thread: Packing a 2013 RT for touring...

Packing a 2013 RT for touring...

i have a 2013 R1200RT and would like to slightly increase its packing capabilities by adding dry bags to the top of the panniers....

would anyone have a suggestion on where i might find a suitable solution....in black preferably

thanks in advance for any and all help...

wyman
    ~wyman~
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

REI, or any good camping / boating supply place. I would strongly suggest other than black because they'll become hotter than you know what and cook everything inside. My wife has a nice yellow one. I'd love to find another like that. Not too modest to have a couple bright yellow dry bags strapped on the bike to make it more noticeable.
    Good luck.
    2008 BMW R1200RT
    2003 BMW K1200RS (sold)

Helen2wheels from racer Parts wholesale. Cheap, waterproof. Well made. Get a set of super packing straps as well. They have videos on their website. I have about 50000 miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

I use this one in a large. Extra large is huge. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Roll_Top_Sacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Wyman - I have a couple of Ortlieb dry bags that I got from Aerostich, and they work great. Never had anything inside get wet in spite of going through some hellacious rain storms on occasion. They are available in black, but mine are yellow and red because you can find things inside that way. I did at one point get a couple of cheap, sort-of clear dry bags from Wally World, they were lighter weight vinyl and I never trusted them much. Don't use them now.

I installed Bungee Buddies on my panniers, but I would not want to strap anything as heavy as a dry bag to them - not the hold downs, but I would not want to put that much pullout tension on the pannier skin. (The GS guys strap things to the lids of their metal panniers all the time, and that's fine, but not to plastic). I use Rok Straps attached to the to the handles next to the pillion seat or to the rack.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by waxrash View Post
    Helen2wheels from racer Parts wholesale. Cheap, waterproof. Well made. Get a set of super packing straps as well. They have videos on their website. I have about 50000 miles on mine.
    This. I've used these bags for over 20 years, bought them from Helen when she started making them herself. I still use her packing straps too, several like the ROK straps and I have some but never used them.
    2010 R1200RT, 2011 Ural Patrol
    2006 KLR 650, 1981 R100RS

BMW MOA 37304

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Wyman - I have a couple of Ortlieb dry bags that I got from Aerostich, and they work great. Never had anything inside get wet in spite of going through some hellacious rain storms on occasion. They are available in black, but mine are yellow and red because you can find things inside that way. I did at one point get a couple of cheap, sort-of clear dry bags from Wally World, they were lighter weight vinyl and I never trusted them much. Don't use them now.

I installed Bungee Buddies on my panniers, but I would not want to strap anything as heavy as a dry bag to them - not the hold downs, but I would not want to put that much pullout tension on the pannier skin. (The GS guys strap things to the lids of their metal panniers all the time, and that's fine, but not to plastic). I use Rok Straps attached to the to the handles next to the pillion seat or to the rack.

JayJay
    thanks JayJay, just what i was looking for in advice....i ordered these as they fit the top of the panniers nicely....

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...Q&ved=0CHcQuSQ

now to order the Rok Straps...

wyman
    ~wyman~
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    thanks JayJay, just what i was looking for in advice....i ordered these as they fit the top of the panniers nicely....

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...Q&ved=0CHcQuSQ

now to order the Rok Straps...

wyman
    Nice, good choice. I'll be interested to see how you lash them to the tops of the panniers. My bride won't travel with me so it hasn't been much of an issue to use the pillion seat, but I can always learn something.

Don't know what size Ortlieb you got, but I find the medium is plenty for a weekend.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

BMR Flat Bed

Although not on top of a pannier, you might want to check out BMR's "Flat Bed" for the RT. It's easy to install & remove when needed and allows for easily adding other bags - safely and securely.i can quickly and securely add a large Ortlieb bag. There's no sliding around of bags or worry about where to add straps. It's a great addition to my RT.

Here's a link: http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...TFlatbed_black
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, '10 G650GS (wife's), and '04 R1150RT (wife's)