Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Oil Leak 2013 R1200RT

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    29

    Oil Leak 2013 R1200RT

    Discovered an oil leak/seep on the bottom of the right hand cylinder cover this afternoon. Not a big leak, just enough to make a mess. I suspect either the cylinder head cover gasket or the gasket that fits around the spark plug. I have 26K miles on the bike and had the 24K service done a couple of months ago. When I called the dealer service manager to discuss, he indicated that the dealership had received a "batch" of bad spark plug gaskets and he suspected that was the problem. Advised me to bring the bike in and have them fix it.

    Has anyone else had a similar problem in the recent past that turned out to be a bad spark plug gasket?

    R/Jim

  2. #2
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicota View Post
    Discovered an oil leak/seep on the bottom of the right hand cylinder cover this afternoon. Not a big leak, just enough to make a mess. I suspect either the cylinder head cover gasket or the gasket that fits around the spark plug. I have 26K miles on the bike and had the 24K service done a couple of months ago. When I called the dealer service manager to discuss, he indicated that the dealership had received a "batch" of bad spark plug gaskets and he suspected that was the problem. Advised me to bring the bike in and have them fix it.

    Has anyone else had a similar problem in the recent past that turned out to be a bad spark plug gasket?

    R/Jim
    not with my 2013 RT...she has 45000+ miles and has had the spark plugs out every 6000 miles when i do the service....if it is the plug gasket, there will be an oil trail down inside the coil wiring cover....have a looksee...

    wyman
    ~wyman~
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Menlo Park, CA
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicota View Post
    Discovered an oil leak/seep on the bottom of the right hand cylinder cover this afternoon. Not a big leak, just enough to make a mess. I suspect either the cylinder head cover gasket or the gasket that fits around the spark plug. I have 26K miles on the bike and had the 24K service done a couple of months ago. When I called the dealer service manager to discuss, he indicated that the dealership had received a "batch" of bad spark plug gaskets and he suspected that was the problem. Advised me to bring the bike in and have them fix it.

    Has anyone else had a similar problem in the recent past that turned out to be a bad spark plug gasket?

    R/Jim
    Huh? A spark plug gasket causing an oil leak? The spark plug gasket seals compression between the plug body and the head. There's no oil associated with it. And that gasket comes pre-installed on the new plug, there's no "bad batch" possible. This sounds like you're being shoveled a bunch of bovine feces.

    Maybe he means the rubber grommet that goes between the valve cover and the head. That rubber grommet surrounds the plug. If the mechanic wasn't careful when reinstalling the cover, that could have gotten tweaked. As Wyman suggests, pull your plastic plug cover off to see if there's oil coming out that way, that would pinpoint that. But not spark plug gasket!

    But by all means, take it in and let the dealer correct it. He's the last one that worked on it.

    JayJay
    ******
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

  4. #4
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Huh? A spark plug gasket causing an oil leak? The spark plug gasket seals compression between the plug body and the head. There's no oil associated with it. And that gasket comes pre-installed on the new plug, there's no "bad batch" possible. This sounds like you're being shoveled a bunch of bovine feces.

    Maybe he means the rubber grommet that goes between the valve cover and the head. That rubber grommet surrounds the plug. If the mechanic wasn't careful when reinstalling the cover, that could have gotten tweaked. As Wyman suggests, pull your plastic plug cover off to see if there's oil coming out that way, that would pinpoint that. But not spark plug gasket!

    But by all means, take it in and let the dealer correct it. He's the last one that worked on it.

    JayJay
    sorry JayJay...was thinking grommet and typing gasket.....
    ~wyman~
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Menlo Park, CA
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    sorry JayJay...was thinking grommet and typing gasket.....
    No, I think the dealer was being imprecise with his language. The fiche calls that thing "interior gasket", and in hindsight, I think I mischaracterized it - a gasket goes between two sealing surfaces, while a grommet lines a hole. So it is in fact a gasket.

    But whatever you call it, it's not the spark plug gasket!

    JayJay
    ******
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6

    same issue with my 2012

    I had the same issue. Not serious leak. Just drips on the ground. Dealer fixed it by replacing the "cam chain tensioner bracket".

    Hope that helps.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for the responses. Dealer will look at it Sat.

    R/Jim

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    29

    Problem Resolved

    It was the inner gasket that was leaking. Service manager indicated that they had replaced several and that there was a bulletin out advising that some bad gaskets had found their way into the BMW supply system.

  9. #9
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,232
    What's an "inner gasket?"
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    29
    On the '13 RT, it's a small, round gasket that seals the area around the spark plug hole between the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head. I may be using the wrong terminology, but that's what the dealer service rep called it. It you look a parts fiche diagram showing the cylinder head and cylinder head cover, you will see it depicted as part of the "gasket kit."

  11. #11
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicota View Post
    On the '13 RT, it's a small, round gasket that seals the area around the spark plug hole between the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head. I may be using the wrong terminology, but that's what the dealer service rep called it. It you look a parts fiche diagram showing the cylinder head and cylinder head cover, you will see it depicted as part of the "gasket kit."
    He's being Kent...it is listed as Interior Gasket...we knew what you meant. No way a factory trained tech could goober one of those up
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville,ga
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    He's being Kent...it is listed as Interior Gasket...we knew what you meant. No way a factory trained tech could goober one of those up
    I am detecting a bit of sarcasm, right?

  13. #13
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by ducster View Post
    I am detecting a bit of sarcasm, right?
    maybe
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •