• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots

skotlyc

This might come as a strange question, but anybody have a good recomendation on an all purpose riding, walking, comfortable, waterproof boot?

I've been very happy Sidi on-roads. Very comfortable walking around, and wearing all day. Meet all your requirements, and armored too!

+1 on Sidi. Mine are Canyon Gore-Tex and I love them. Vibram type sole, comfortable to wear and walk in and they are waterproof.

This might come as a strange question, but anybody have a good recomendation on an all purpose riding, walking, comfortable, waterproof boot?

skotlyc, I see that you are a newcomer to the Forum as is the last poster, ptech with his first post. I would like to welcome both of you.

Let me assure there is a ton of information and opinion here. The trouble with asking such a simple question as the one quoted, is that it has ALREADY been asked and discussed at length. A lot of folks don't want to get into it one more time.

Rather than wait for the replys to pour in (I suspect they won't) try typing "riding boots" in the upper right hand box before SEARCH then hit the search button. You will get a lot of "chaff" along with some "wheat," and I confess I am not very good at doing this. If you get too frustrated, try looking in the third Forum from the top, "Forum Specific Software Help" for information on how to search the Forum. Still frustrated? In THAT forum start a new thread "how do I find info on riding boots?"

You WILL get help. Sorry that I am not able to be more specific on this question as my skills are pretty limited. Just wanted to point you in the right direction. You are really welcome here and hope you will soon figure out how to make this Forum both informative and entertaining.

If you want a quick answer to your question, this is from my memory of what I have read here and also personal experience.
1. BMW "all-around" boots have a LARGE following and meet all your requirements. That was my choice with zero complaints.
2. Sidi boots also have a large following, but I couldn't find them locally.
3. Aerostich "light combat" boots have a large following. Take some "breaking in" but may last longer than some others.
4. Since I wanted exactly what you want a couple years ago, I went around to all the local MC shops and took my heavy long "motorcycling socks." Alpinstar makes a boot almost identical to the BMW "all-around" - same Goretex lining, very similar features and price. After finding a boot that fit, I walked around the store for awhile and paid attention to what my feet were telling me. They told me the BMW boots were perfect and the Alpenstars were not quite. BUT, your feet may tell you the exact opposite. Helmets, boots and gloves are just three things I hate to buy untried on my body.

This is a very short and incomplete synopsis of all the info you will find on boots on this forum.

Gaerne Balance Oiled, if you can live with brown boots. I've had my pair for about a month and put around 8,000 miles on them. They're waterproof, not too hot (worn them in 110 degree weather), and ridiculously comfortable.

3c34be84.jpg

I have a pair of the Aerostich Combat Lites as well, and they're nice, but nowhere near as comfortable.

Just picked up a pair of these Sidi Way Rain boots, and for $109.00 can't be beat. I got size 48 European which is 13 US and they fit perfectly with a little room for insoles and heavy socks for colder riding. They only have a few sizes, so you might get lucky.

I have had them for a week and they are very comfy, but a bit warm in this weather to walk in. Stepped into my kids kiddy pool and they were perfectly waterproof, but I haven't worn them in rain yet.

Check it out.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree..._bargains/sidi/way_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

Rocky workboots. Lace-ups, get the sewn-on soles. Completely waterproof. I got the steel toe high tops. I've had these for years, have replaced them. Warm in the winter, plus they breath in the summer. They run about 180.00 at fine work shoe establishments. The reason I encourage sewn-on soles is that I've bought some very expensive boots and my experience is that they eventually come unglued and let in water. I prefer the steel-toes, because they double as safety boots where required.

+1 on Sidi. Mine are Canyon Gore-Tex and I love them. Vibram type sole, comfortable to wear and walk in and they are waterproof.

+2. As Doug (BCKRIDER) pointed out, this topic has been hashed out several times over the past few months and all of the posts are available by searching within the Gear section.

There are quite a few anecdotal posts on various forums that don't bear that out. Care to share your experience?

Both boots leaked badly after two months. Boots bought in mid-2010. All day rain.

The only way I've EVER had waterproof boots is to wear rubber over them, no matter the claims from the internet, manufacturers, or any of the dozens of Inca Rain Gods I've heard about.

Both boots leaked badly after two months. Boots bought in mid-2010. All day rain.

The only way I've EVER had waterproof boots is to wear rubber over them, no matter the claims from the internet, manufacturers, or any of the dozens of Inca Rain Gods I've heard about.

Odd. I've been caught in my share of frog-stranglers, and I've never had a waterproof boot leak. Then again, I treat the leather on a regular basis, so that probably helps. Hell, my CBT Lites aren't advertised as waterproof, but they don't leak either.

I treated myself to a pair of Aerostitch Combat Lites (CBT) and am so far very impressed.
They are a heavy boot, fine for off the bike walkarounds, I wouldn't take them out on a ten mile hike however.

Have only had them in a light rain and so far so good. Some claim that with a bit of weather proof goop applied they will be waterproof (99% anyway). I can't vouch for that yet, but the design is very impressive in that the leather used wraps around the boot with only one seam. Regardless of it being a boot, jacket, or glove; I have always found seams to be the first place leaks begin.

I elected not to go Goretex this time out to get a bit more breatheability....they do feel a bit cooler than other Goretex boots I have worn.

My last boots were decent for the day (ten year old First Gear I think), but feel like house slippers compared to the CBTs. The CBTs are a very tough boot, I hate to test the theory, but am confident you could low slide them repeatedly before any burns or abrasions got to skin.

Last edited:
TCX works best for me. I can wear them for 12-14 hours and still be comfortable. I have AirTech for hot weather and X5 Gore Tex for everything else.

Sidi On Road... I wear them to work so I am in them for over 14 hours at a clip. Totally waterproof. I do polish them twice a year and after that treat them with mink oil....

+1 on BMW all around boots!

Bill

+2 - have been waterproof in real frog stranglers, comfortable to walk in, not horribly priced, and did I mention comfortable to walk in (which many moto boots are not.) Fit well out of the box, and with about 60k miles on them, still fit well and still keeping my feet dry. I wax them once a year and they look almost new.

Back