• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Yep I am a wimp

miairhead

It is too hot this year, http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/Sedalia.html

There is no way I can take the heat in Sedalia, I will pass on spending riding in 100 degree temperatures. Two operations in the last 8 months, and heat like this nope not my kind of riding. A hundred degrees and lots of hot people, yep I pass. Enjoy the rally, drink plenty of water, and coverup.

Hope everyone has a safe and manageable trip. I be glade to get my winning motorcycle some other time.

Why kill yourself?

You are no wimp. You are smart, MI. The heat in Sedalia is off my scale too. The only way I am going to ride/sleep in that kind of heat is if I am FORCED to. I ride and camp only for my own pleasure and it is way too hot in the midwest for me to have fun or enjoy riding.

With temps in the 80's after Tuesday a nice Lake Michigan beach sounds like a more reasonable ride.

But I will miss going and I hope all that do go get there safely and have a great time.

I agree with both of you. Last year at Bloomsburg made a believer out of me. I kept asking myself "What an I doing here in this 102 degree tent".

Be careful rally goers!

So far, I am delaying leaving for Sedalia till Wednesday. Even if I take my SUV and not the bike, being in a tent is miserable. It is like Viet Nam, but I was 45 years younger then.
I am going through treatment for prostate cancer anyway and my resistance is way. down.
I will make up my mind when I check the weather Weds. I want to go but not if it is gonna kill me!

Any of you very intelligent wimps giving up your hotel reservations ? My plan was to ride the 800 miles Tuesday and then the remainder on Wednesday. After that, I was planning on staying in a tent. But, I don't like sleeping outside when it is above 90F. :violin

I decided it was just too much for me , I'm not a big fan of long distance riding anymore. Then factor in the heat and my medication warnings to avoid it , I will take a pass.

I cancelled my hotel reservation a few days ago , but from the reviews of the place and comments from folks who stayed there I don't think i gave up much.

I hope everyone that goes has a safe trip and enjoys the rally.

Doug

Got one friend who is basically doing a 1000ss- planning to ride straight through- to get there. Personally, I thinks he's nuts and hope he doesn't join another of my friends on the disabled list. Heat index that far up the scale is inherently dangerous as any of us who are track instructors and work at keeping students out of hot afternoon accidents are very aware and like many, I can't say I find the idea of camping in it even remotely interesting as a fun activity.

Are these summer rallies in unsafe conditions are the BMW MOA equivalent of riding without a helmet - simply taking a calculated risk and hoping the downside is someone else's problem?

Got one friend who is basically doing a 1000ss- planning to ride straight through- to get there. Personally, I thinks he's nuts and hope he doesn't join another of my friends on the disabled list. Heat index that far up the scale is inherently dangerous as any of us who are track instructors and work at keeping students out of hot afternoon accidents are very aware and like many, I can't say I find the idea of camping in it even remotely interesting as a fun activity.

Are these summer rallies in unsafe conditions are the BMW MOA equivalent of riding without a helmet - simply taking a calculated risk and hoping the downside is someone else's problem?

I've got a buddy who plans on doing an Iron Butt 50CC from Florida to San Diego in August. I believe he's nuts. I seriously doubt that he has a clue as to what he is getting himself into.

My daughter and family from Olathe, Kansas came out to stay with us a week ago. That was my week off from work, so I won't be able to take off another week to go to Sedalia.

I probably wouldn't anyway. I do not like traveling on the bike in hot, humid weather, and don't think much of the idea of camping in hot weather.

Kudo's to those who brave the weather.

I realize that to do my bucket list rides I will have to cross the Great Plains in hot weather. I am gradually gearing up for that with mesh jackets, mesh pants I will purchase soon, and a CamelBak. But my destination would be high elevations in nice, dry mountain states, and not the hot, humid lowlands.

Harry

I've got a buddy who plans on doing an Iron Butt 50CC from Florida to San Diego in August. I believe he's nuts. I seriously doubt that he has a clue as to what he is getting himself into.

My daughter and family from Olathe, Kansas came out to stay with us a week ago. That was my week off from work, so I won't be able to take off another week to go to Sedalia.

I probably wouldn't anyway. I do not like traveling on the bike in hot, humid weather, and don't think much of the idea of camping in hot weather.

Kudo's to those who brave the weather.

I realize that to do my bucket list rides I will have to cross the Great Plains in hot weather. I am gradually gearing up for that with mesh jackets, mesh pants I will purchase soon, and a CamelBak. But my destination would be high elevations in nice, dry mountain states, and not the hot, humid lowlands.

Harry

Harry - Check out the Camelbak Thermobak from their Tactical/Military line. I got mine for $60. It's well insulated, and the exact same gear our boys in the Middle East use everyday.

Harry - Check out the Camelbak Thermobak from their Tactical/Military line. I got mine for $60. It's well insulated, and the exact same gear our boys in the Middle East use everyday.

Thanks. Yes, I've got one of those picked out in hi-viz that I can get through Amazon. I sent my buddy a link to it so he could have it for his Iron Butt ride. I will get one for myself, too.

Harry

Above my body temperature...no way!

I'll skip this rallye, too and again because of the temperature.

Think about it...your body temperature is ca. 98F. Ambient temperature below that has a cooling effect...and above that you become a boiled egghead. Not even considering the heat index.

I stay cool in the mountains and look forward for next years rallye.

/Guenther

I am also a "wimp"...I know my personal limits and 100 degrees is beyond my limit. I've bonked on 100 degrees days and it's not a fun experience. The weather is very disappointing, we were going to camp for the whole rally, but we live close enough (80 miles) to make it a day trip or two and probably in 4 wheels (another torture!). Not getting the full rally experience and that's a great disappointment.

I do have a general comment about all national rallies...Wing Ding, MOA, AMA Women's Conference, all in July. Other months are ruled out by the organizations due to hurricane season, snow still on some passes, etc.. At what point does extreme heat become a factor that is as important as those other considerations?:scratch
I'm not picking on MOA - I couldn't wait for the AMA Women's rally - once every 3 years - but then the location was announced - Carson City, NV. Great riding in No Cal, but I'd have to cross KS, CO lowlands, UT, and NV in July to attend. And I'm not a trailer person, So wait another 3 years for maybe a better time of year, maybe?? Just disappointing!

I do wish everyone a safe trip to the rally!

Why don't they just hold the Rally in the fall or spring? Is this the same brain trust that decided suspenders and trucker hats would fly off the shelf?

Yea,
I work outside year around. I have had heat exhaustion. Ice packs under
the arms and behind the neck. Really feel like been up all night, shot for
about 3 days afterwards. Heat wins everytime. I rode for about an hour
and a half last weekend at 102.... My thoughts were, this is nuts.... But
I might head to Leland for a couple of days, Michigan looks like highs in the 80's
and 60's in the morning. No rain for a week in sight. Might stop by Whitehall
for a night. That is if the bike gets back from is 30k check with fresh skins on
the rims. I plan to make a National, its on my bucket list. It would be fun to
hang at the beer tent and watch the heat effects on the non professional consumers.:hungover:hungover

Enjoy the Rally and HYDRATE!!!

Last year in Bloomsburg taught me a lesson. I'll be staying home this year. Those of you that go, be careful and ride safe...

Last Thursday when Barley and I set out from Vermont the only certainty was that conditions would change and I would have to be responsible (for both of us) in the choices I made. I most certainly wish it was cooler, but having prepared for every contingency I could think of, we're ready and are closing in on Sedalia.

Being an early riser by nature, on this trip I find myself waking up at 3:30 and on the road by 5:00. It's actually quite pleasant, though the scenery is hard to make out till the sun comes up. About 9:00 we refuel, and I buy a 5# bag of ice. My camelback and Barley's are filled, and the extra goes into a small Igloo cooler. As mine melts I drink it. Barley lays on his to keep cool. We stop every hour to hydrate, using the melting ice in the cooler. I spritz both of us before getting underway again to get some evaporative cooling going. In the midday heat we find a stream and pull over. Today Barley enjoyed swimming in the 55F water of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas, with a family of tourists from Oklahoma. At the rally, in the heat of the day, we'll be inside the air conditioned vendor buildings.

My one concession to the heat is that at night we're staying in an air conditioned hotel. We were planning on camping on site, but I can't ask my dog to do that in these conditions. My point is if you want to go, make some decisions and alternative arrangements. It's insane to ride in the midday heat and humidity, so have other plans for those hours.

My hotel, btw, is in Warsaw MO, about 34 miles south of the rally and right on Lake of the Ozarks (another option for the midday heat). There were two hotels in that area with a few vacancies if anybody is looking.

Best to all, no matter which way you decide to go.

Why don't they just hold the Rally in the fall or spring? Is this the same brain trust that decided suspenders and trucker hats would fly off the shelf?

It would not be the MOA way of doing thing's if it was not held in the month of July. I have already done my 100 degree riding this year, so I will not be traveling to this rally. So call me wimp because I will not be there no matter how many air condition buildings they have on the grounds.

The subject of moving the rally dates to something more reasonable "Temp "wise was beat to death after last year.

My thinking is that since we do have all this global warming talk in effect , maybe soon we will be discussing holding the national in November.

If the average age of the MOA members is as old as i think it is , and most of us are retired or unemployed anyway, why not move it to later or earlier in the year as the location and temperatures dictate.

As I get it now the rally is like a moveable feast with a different geographical location every year . I think it's worth looking at.

Yes i get it that we need this huge space to accomodate all the events , vendors and the multitudes of thousands who attend, but there has to be an alternative to 100 degree heat and the attendant misery.

What do the Goldwing folks do ?
They number in the bajillions and they have big rallies all the time ?

Last Thursday when Barley and I set out from Vermont the only certainty was that conditions would change and I would have to be responsible (for both of us) in the choices I made. I most certainly wish it was cooler, but having prepared for every contingency I could think of, we're ready and are closing in on Sedalia.

Being an early riser by nature, on this trip I find myself waking up at 3:30 and on the road by 5:00. It's actually quite pleasant, though the scenery is hard to make out till the sun comes up. About 9:00 we refuel, and I buy a 5# bag of ice. My camelback and Barley's are filled, and the extra goes into a small Igloo cooler. As mine melts I drink it. Barley lays on his to keep cool. We stop every hour to hydrate, using the melting ice in the cooler. I spritz both of us before getting underway again to get some evaporative cooling going. In the midday heat we find a stream and pull over. Today Barley enjoyed swimming in the 55F water of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas, with a family of tourists from Oklahoma. At the rally, in the heat of the day, we'll be inside the air conditioned vendor buildings.

My one concession to the heat is that at night we're staying in an air conditioned hotel. We were planning on camping on site, but I can't ask my dog to do that in these conditions. My point is if you want to go, make some decisions and alternative arrangements. It's insane to ride in the midday heat and humidity, so have other plans for those hours.

My hotel, btw, is in Warsaw MO, about 34 miles south of the rally and right on Lake of the Ozarks (another option for the midday heat). There were two hotels in that area with a few vacancies if anybody is looking.

Best to all, no matter which way you decide to go.

Pete - I'll probably be up riding early to see the sights. If you're up for meeting up near the Lake, send me a PM. I'm camping with the Chartered Clubs, but I only have to be responsible for myself.

I'd love to check out your rig and meet Barley.

Mark

Back