• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mosquitoes and other bugs at rally

GeorgeR1200RT

How is the mosquito and other biting bug population at the rally site in Sedalia? :scratch

Is a heavy layer of DEET or other stuff going to be needed?

Hi George

Here it is, straight from the City of Sedalia Website...
2:30 p.m. CDT - July 12, 2012

Mosquito Spraying

(SEDALIA, MISSOURI): The Sedalia Public Works Department will be spraying for mosquitoes on the following days from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m., weather permitting:

Thursday, July 19th From the west city limits to the east city limits,
From Broadway Avenue south to the south city limits

Friday July 20th From the west city limits to the east city limits,
From Broadway Avenue north to the north city limits

Common Missouri pests

ticks, several kinds, check daily. For me only powdered sulfur works. Should not be a problem on the fairgrounds.

Chiggers. I advise all of you to avoid sitting on the grass, the critter can not complete it's life cycle in humans, does make an itchy site. Sulfur repels them, if you get a bite they sell itch pens containing ammonia, hurts when you put it on, BUT the itching stops right away.

Mosquitoes, the drought really cuts the numbers, DEET is your friend.

Oak Midge, a no seeum that is around oak trees. Have not been real bad lately, but the itch pen is a good treatment. The can go right thru the mesh of a tent, so I never pitch a tent under a oak tree anymore. Most do not bite, one does. They like cooler weather, so should be be a significant issue. But if something is getting in your tent and you are under oaks, MOVE

Horse fly's, hopefully we are far enough from the cattle these are not an issue. Deet only repels a few, sulfur and premithin only repel a few, they are immue to most stuff now.

If you walk in the woods, there will be stinging nettle. Best advice is no bare skin. Annoying but harmless.

Posion Ivy, leaflets 3, let it be.

Rod

The only thing that I would have a small concern about on the fairgrounds would be chiggers. Camped there during the State Fair before and had no problems with insects except maybe for flies migrating from the stock barns.

Take a couple of garlic tablets a day. Takes a few days to get "loaded" up properly.

Keeps mosquitos away and other flying, biting nasties.

Keeps vampires at bay too. Win-win. :laugh

OK, a basic noob (dumb?) question....

It's going to be hot (really???), and I plan to wear Keen-type sandals. Should I be ok with Deepwoods Off!, or should I axe the sandals and wear socks and shoes instead?

Chiggers aren't really a problem in WNY, which is what prompts my questions.

And yes I will be camping...and enjoying the 70's overnight. :snore

Chiggers. Gawd how I hate those things! We used to get them bad at Camp Lejeune, NC.

I might just bring a quart of ammonia. To heck with the little ampules!

Back