• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Eating on the cheap... what to bring?

derost

beemerFROG
So here is the bottom line... the cheaper I can keep this trip, the more my wife will be agreeable to me doing more of them. I'm sure others out there have heard this as well "How much are you spending on this trip just for you??" (And yes, I know, the same can be said from husbands to wives that are going.) :fight

So I am looking at what to do to cut down where ever possible, and now I'm at the food portion. I figure I can bring the following:
  • trail mix
  • instant oatmeal
  • canned tuna
  • powdered drink mix
  • beef jerky

Any other thoughts? I don't have any kind of jet boil so I will be using hot water for tea from the coffee station I guess.

Pouch tuna takes up less space/weight than cans. Also, get one of those resuable water bladders (liter size) You can refill and it molds itself to the space available. (camping section of the sporting goods store.)

Pouch tuna takes up less space/weight than cans. Also, get one of those resuable water bladders (liter size) You can refill and it molds itself to the space available. (camping section of the sporting goods store.)

Yep, got a water bladder and a water bladder backpack... and even a solar charger hanging off it to charge the phone. :thumb

That's good to hear about the bag tuna instead... saves on carrying a can opener.

Don't bring any food. Get to Sedalia and make a quick stop at the local grocery store and pick up the items you need.

That way you can pack as light a possible and help the local economy a little as well.

Also who wants a bruised apple and or smashed banana?

the jayhawk makes a good point... supposed to be a SuperCenter WalMart within 2 miles of the Fairgrounds. I too plan to purchase some minor provisions upon arrival. Dont beat the groceries up with a long warm/hot ride on the way out.

Don't bring any food. Get to Sedalia and make a quick stop at the local grocery store and pick up the items you need.

That way you can pack as light a possible and help the local economy a little as well.

Also who wants a bruised apple and or smashed banana?

Terrific thought! Thanks.. :thumb

the jayhawk makes a good point... supposed to be a SuperCenter WalMart within 2 miles of the Fairgrounds. I too plan to purchase some minor provisions upon arrival. Dont beat the groceries up with a long warm/hot ride on the way out.

But I think I will visit a locally owned store as apposed to Walmart. We small business owners need to stick together when possible.

We usually pack food when we travel. We seldom visit restaurants (and NO fast food). That gets soooo expensive when you're on a two week trip.

This is usually packed where its easy to get to, for a quick break:

nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts: unsalted)
jerky
string cheese
Mio (instead of messy powered mix)
raisins
Platy or CamelBak

I used to do trail mix, but melted chocolate is icky, and the spouse don't do sweets too much anymore. I do carry the bags of tuna, and if its not too hot out, I'll pack some grapeseed oil mayo and honey mustard. all mixed together and heaped on a cracker or piece of bread. Good stuff. (i can't eat canned tuna by itself, but the spouse likes it...)

We carry basic utensils:
http://www.rei.com/product/765204/guyot-designs-microbites-utensils

I also have two sheathed knives. One smooth, one serrated. And a bottle opener. Never know when you may find an acceptable brand of beer or wine. Small ziplock of baby wipes. (unscented, no lotion, plain wipes, for when there is nothing to wash your hands with). Couple of plastic grocery bags, to hold trash until you can find a trash can.

Plastic foldable plates/bowls. The collapsible stuff works well too.

http://www.orikaso.com/

Usually pick up deli type stuff from the grocery store for dinner.

It seems like a lot of stuff, but it packs really small and light. I don't buy large amounts of the basics, just enough to get through a day and a half. I re-stock as needed when I find a grocery store.

Grocery store

I never pack food. I shop at the local market and buy there; much cheaper and fresher. A foot long sub will feed me for two days and it is $5.00

I agree with JDOCKERY, except with the heat we will have next week, buy fresh, eat it fresh. Two day old sub could get very interesting. Camp close to the "Crapper".

Come by my tent, you can use my Jetboil or any other provisions You might need I have. We are not taking much but always have the stove in case for coffee.
:thumb

What to bring-- NOTHING- they have stores there that it will be FRESH, and just as cheap as buying at home. Saves a ton of packing space.

Eat n at the rally

So here is the bottom line... the cheaper I can keep this trip, the more my wife will be agreeable to me doing more of them. I'm sure others out there have heard this as well "How much are you spending on this trip just for you??" (And yes, I know, the same can be said from husbands to wives that are going.) :fight

So I am looking at what to do to cut down where ever possible, and now I'm at the food portion. I figure I can bring the following:
  • trail mix
  • instant oatmeal
  • canned tuna
  • powdered drink mix
  • beef jerky

Any other thoughts? I don't have any kind of jet boil so I will be using hot water for tea from the coffee station I guess.

Coffee is free in the beer tent, if I remember correctly. You'll probably get a free coffee cup at registration.
Sardines and a tube of saltines from home.
Soup: eat right from the can with saltines, as the soup is always warm enough this time of year.
Raisins
Plastic jar of peanuts (w/banana)
Peanut butter with saltines
water bottle

Have fun.

Me and my riding partner eat out of grocery stores and it keeps the costs down. I guessing my biggest expense is going to be food. We live 350 miles from the rally so gas isn't going to be a big expense and I am riding my airhead. Of course I will check out the fare at the rally too. I did buy some potassium tablets as when i lose fluids I tent to cramp and bananas dont have that much of anything in them. A bell pepper has a whole lot more potassium than a banana.

Back