Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do YOU Deal With Tailgaters?

has anyone mentioned ball bearings yet?

I whip out my camera & take a picture of the them in my mirror. This picture is of a semi truck that was tailgating me on a hwy. in central FL. I had rode from Charlotte NC to a RTE in Lake Wales FL. and came up on a group of (20 or so) SLOW riding Gold Wings. He backed way off after I took the picture. I also turn the camera around & point it at them. Works every time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    V.P. BMWMOA Club 220

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I would say rocks, ball bearings don't grow in nature.
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

Doesn't happen as much as when I commuted...

I give them a shoulder shrug with my left hand up as WTH... to indicate" there is no room ahead of me dumba**" it works about half the time nowadays. I'll wave Helen around me if we are in a situation where it's just gonna happen...I would rather me get hit than her...true love

If that doesn't work, I just get the heck out of their important assed way and let them hound someone else.

I' m not the road police and have no interest in playing road games. Used to be in a 2 ton truck and a lot younger, but not on a bike. And explaining to the LEO why I was speeding and changing lanes still got me a ticket several years back
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

In no particular order, I can think of 3 results of rocks or ball bearings:
    1. the driver of the following vehicle gets the message;
    2. The driver of the following vehicle looses control and crashes;
    3. the driver of the following vehicle maintains control and punts you into the ditch.
    Is it not better to reduce your speed and allow them to pass?

[QUOTE=Hexkopf;798230]... Finally he did pass me and all was well, but it really pissed me off. QUOTE]

Accept the first part of your sentence, and learn to ignore the second part!

In bumper to bumper traffic at 50 to 60 mph (think I-270, west St Louis rush hour) I just leave a small space cushion between me and the vehicle in front, being aware that in those conditions others will try to occupy my cushion if they can. I focus mainly on what's ahead of me and ignore whats behind me.

Bumper to bumper at 10-20 mph, hey we're all tailgaiting at that speed.

If its heavy traffic but space to pass and such, I move to the right lanes and let em go.

If it's two lane and bumper to bumper, I just leave a cushion between me and the vehicle in front, and realize my danger is if "I" have to stop suddenly and he runs up my tail pipe, so I keep aware on whats happening several vehicles in front of me so I don't have to stop suddenly.

Its really just human nature to crowd to the front. Try this experiment sometime. When you are standing in a line, any line; movies, grocery store, amusement park, stand about 6 feet behind the person in front of you, and keep that distance. People behind you will start to crowd you, wanting you to move up, as if that will get them there faster....human nature
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Usually i give them a hand wave , palm down waving my arm, if that does not work i tap the brake a few times.

If all else fails i find a spot to pull over and get out of the way.
    You can't fix stupid ya know.

I find that they rarely move up in traffic much if at all , then wait for a convenient spot to pull along side when stopped and say politely :

" Wow , you must be very important "

They usually look a bit dumb struck and the others who think they are bad boy's or girls don't bother me. I just laugh at them and ride away.

Motorradfahrer
    I start weaving from side to side in the lane which generally freaks them out. I guess they suppose I am having a tire issue or I am trying to miss something. All I know is that it makes them back off or switch lanes. I really don't know how I ever came across this reaction but it works most of the time. If that fails I pull to the side to them pass and then I follow them home and hire the neighbors kids to egg and paper them.
    Last edited by Jogitu; 07-13-2012 at 03:20 AM.

"Accept the first part of your sentence, and learn to ignore the second part"

Really good advice for life in general.

2008 R1200R Black

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I guess not, but I will.

I keep a half dozen 5/8" ball bearings in my tank bag. I got them from rebuilding race car CV joints years ago.

They work very well and are pretty stealthy. Just subtly drop one along side the bike and watch for the steam cloud.

Before some passive types start flaming me for the aggressive attitude, consider this:

If you are assaulting me with a 4000 pound piece of rolling steel intent on doing me bodily harm, I am compelled and justified in defending my life with extreme prejudice by any means necessary. The ball bearings are merely a less than lethal way of making you leave me alone. Kind of like a dog growling and baring his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    I guess not, but I will.

I keep a half dozen 5/8" ball bearings in my tank bag. I got them from rebuilding race car CV joints years ago.

They work very well and are pretty stealthy. Just subtly drop one along side the bike and watch for the steam cloud.

Before some passive types start flaming me for the aggressive attitude, consider this:

If you are assaulting me with a 4000 pound piece of rolling steel intent on doing me bodily harm, I am compelled and justified in defending my life with extreme prejudice by any means necessary. The ball bearings are merely a less than lethal way of making you leave me alone. Kind of like a dog growling and baring his teeth.
    This is really a bad and immature response.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    This is really a bad and immature response.
    Well, what if you were to take your hands, and in an uninvited manner, place them upon a young female's body, maybe a store clerk or something, or just someone in a restaurant, and she were to react by slapping you right across your face with a good slap.
    Would you call her response a bad and immature response.

You see, tailgating is a bad and immature behavior. It's a form of road rage. It is illegal here, and I do know more than one cop here who will stop and cite for it.

So remember, when you have that slap in the face coming, guess what. Grin and bear it.
    dc

I don't think I would go so far as to possibly risk injuring a tailgater or other bystanders with ball bearings or anything like that. I am not judging this as immature, but could have some very dire legal consequences if such actions were to harm others.

Trying to stop aggressive and dangerous behavior with good passive tactics seems to make more sense than using more overt, harmful, and aggressive means ourselves. The idea here is to be a safer rider and not to cause more mayhem by being as aggressive as the action we are trying to prevent.

Let's try to kee this thread on an even keel.

2008 R1200R Black

I have to say all that aggressive stuff, ball bearings and the like, tempting tho' it is, seems like asking for trouble.

However, that said, I'd include standing on the pegs, and/or standing and looking back.

or sometimes just dropping my head a bit so that they see I'm really looking in my mirror a reeeally long time. Of course with one eye on the road ahead.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

I am a big guy on a big bike still I am smaller than a Honda Civic. 90%+ of miles are commuting. I have used most of the non ball barring/rock methods suggested. When they fail I take what I call an 'F1- pit stop' alternative.
    - On the freeway I will take the next available exit and re-enter using the entrance ramp. The stop at the top of the ramp gives me a chance to catch my breath and composure. It recycles me into traffic at a different hopefully safer point with minimal loss of time.
    - On highways or city streets some form of variation.

It isn't a successful commute if I don't make it to work. Jail, hospital, or the grave are not acceptable alternatives.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune