• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How are you getting to the Rally?

einnar

Just thought it'd be cool if people would post the routes they play on taking to the Rally 05. Personally, it's too close to my house, so this is how I'm going to play the short cut.

Rally05.jpg

Let's see your routes!

You know you opened yourself up for a bunch of responses saying "By motorcycle, silly!"
My route isn't solidly ironed out and I dunno how to do that fancy-ass map-graphic stuff, but it looks like I get to choose between slabs if I wanna get there in two days. Yeah I know you're all accusing me of being a wuss for not getting there via a four-corners ride but I live in the real world and only have so much time off. :p
There *IS* the option to do about 150 miles of US 67 through Arkansas and Missouri, but it looks like a time-loser, especially if I fail to resist the urge to stop for throwed rolls in Sikeston...
But then again, I may have to take the whole week off anyway so that opens up a circuitous route possibility getting up there! :D

We'll see what happens!

"on my motorcycle, of course!"

Haha, I was going to say exactly that, Veg. I don't know my route yet, haven't even really thought about it, but I might get some good ideas from what people post here! :brow

Starting out from the TamPete area July 1 Goin to Monterey for the motogp/AMA races. Then North to join up to US rte 2 in the SeaTac area.East on rte2 couple a days at Glacier East to Mich. U.P. South over the BRIDGE. If time permits Central Mich. Romp to where I lived and graduated Tecumseh then South to the Rally/AMA races same wekend. Then back to the land of Huricanes
Then I have to get ready for my Air/Rail/Sea trip to Alaska knowing the whole time I wish I was on the bike

Hoped for routing

Well this route all depends on vacation time and work commitments. So it might get blown away. But I am in the same boat as Einnar, it is close so I need to take the scenic route. However if the timing doesn't work out, I will be taking the direct route...

Attachments

• LimaRoute1.gif
    LimaRoute1.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 226
Michigan

Well...
Getting up real early in the morning :stick (everything prepped the night before) :drink and heading down the road to M-55, heading east. Then taking M-115 to US 27/10, hooking up onto I-75 south and crank it up. Next exit Lima, OH. :clap

Lima route!

Been there, done that, and gonna do it again. Either US 127 from Lansing MI to US 30 at VanWert and over to Lima. Might go M-52 to OH 109.
Can any locals tell me how the roads are? M-52 in Michigan is a nice leisurely ride and good road. Anyone know of any construction sites on these paths?
Thanks in advance.

up and over the thumb of Michigan,
or via the ferry. Riding through Chicago doesn't appeal to me at all

Day 1
I-80 E to
I-39 S to
US24 E to
US 224 E to
Van Wert
(371 mi.)
This route is 24 miles farther than the more direct, I-80/US30 route, but it avoids the I-80/I-94 bottleneck SE of Chicago.

Day 2
US 30 E to
OH 309 to Lima :D :clap
(32.4 mi.)

I haven't gotten to that part, yet. I may be picking up a LT at the Rally and riding it home. So that means I'm flyin'.

If not, then I'm flyin' on the RT. :wow

The ride home will be slow and scenic. :D

Anyone coming into Ohio on I-75, from either the north or south, be careful with your speed. The OH State highway patrol is usually lurking close to the borders just waiting to personally welcome you into the state. :doh

Biff's R said:
Anyone coming into Ohio on I-75, from either the north or south, be careful with your speed. The OH State highway patrol is usually lurking close to the borders just waiting to personally welcome you into the state. :doh

Biff,
What is the 'overage' they give to you, now?

Having attended school in the SW corner of the state, (Miami Univ), I can vouch for the presence of the Patrol along the 75 and the 70 corridor. Unlike California, they do U-turns through the median to 'welcome' you.

I would say that the typical overage would be 5-7 mph, so 72 in a 65 should be safe. With the BMW speedo, that is probably 78ish.

And Kenny you are right about them on 70, too. I like how they sit under the Ohio Arch at the Indiana border.

First of all let me beg the famous tolerance of this forum by stating that I'll be riding my Kawasaki Concours towing a Piggybacker cargo trailer to the rally :uhoh ;) (my Beemers' a K11RS). That said I'll be interstating most of the trip due to time constraints. From Lindale we (my son and I) start out on I20 and head up to I30 to I40 to I65 to Kentucky and onto I64 towards Lexington (gives me an interstate hangover :hungover), jump onto Hwy 68 to visit friends in Paris and to hook up with our V-Max riding buddy (rally virgin) who's coming with us the to the MOA Rally. From there it's onto I75 straight to Lima. The ride back home might be more interesting if I can find a route that gets us back fairly quickly w/o too much "I" time

Mark, since 20 is south of you I'm not sure how you propose to take it to 30, since that means going west at least to Dallas. Unless of course you mean using about 15 miles of eastbound 20 to get you to US 271, which then goes due north to join 30 at Mt. Pleasant. This route is at least an hour faster than going west to get 30.
I hope I didn't insult your intelligence here.

Hey Veg, thanks for the reply. I live just off the Hwy 69/I20 intersection, about 1/2 mile SE (I'm just outside the Lindale city limits) ,so jumping onto I20 is the quickest route for me . Then it's 271 on up to I30 and onward. No worry about insulting my intelligence, it has a mind of it's own :laugh

Back