• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

More on BMW brake line failures

Brake lines don't necessarily fail at a given age. Though, they do soften (internally) over time. All depends on the maintenance of the brake system. So I would not be too concerned that way.

All of the S/S braided brake hoses are teflon inner tube construction that I know of. There may be some that claim "kevlar reinforced" but I see no gain in that, as the tube is still teflon. And Kevlar tends to wear on itself in high flexing. Not that many people actually make the hose (Parker, Aeroquip, Stratoflex, and some foreign brands are the most common), but the suppliers themselves generally do not make the hose (Gafer, Russell, Speigler, Braking, etc)

I just pulled my brake lines and went into the House of Hose in Spokane, WA and stood there for a 1/2 an hour and walked out with a perfectly fitted set.

Brakequip,....Brakequip,....couldn't figure out why that sounded familiar. Then I recall seeing some of their crimper machines at a local high production hose shop I work with (and no, they don't do retail sales or make SS braided hose assemblies).

Went to the Brakequip site and their products do look familiar. What is interesting is they do not manufacture or sell the SS braided hose. Same for House of Hose or any hydraulic hose distributor like them. Just be aware, when a distributor like House of Hose, or company like Spiegler, Galfer, Russel, etc, sell a brake hose assembly, it is up to them to prove the combination of their hose end fittings are properly crimped onto the hose, and that the assemblies are proven by testing.

As simple as it looks to crimp/swage a hose end onto "any ol hose", you'd be surprised how many ways there are to screw it up. Certainly never leave your brake hose assemblies in the hands of some kid who was just flippin burgers two weeks ago.

help

I bought a 1998 r1100rsl 75th with 7450 miles on it, I have had the brakes bled, but when I nail the brakes it stops, but I don't feel the ABS kickiing in. I was told by my dealer that to fix this it would be $2500.00 Help!!!:dunno

2001 brake line failure

My 2001 R1100RT original front brake line failed on the way home from the 2012 national rally. 2200 mile round trip and it fails 80 miles from home when I had stopped to let a rain cloud pass. When I got back on, the brakes felt strange and then I noticed the puddle and the last squirt of fluid. I got lucky.

Spiegler lines with extra length for my handlebar setup were on the way the next day. Quality product and good service.

What thread

I recently purchased a 95 k75. The fluid was
Brown from six years of storage. While trying to flush the
Fluid from the lines, one or both of the calipers hung up.
The brakes felt fine before i tried to flush them, but now the
Master cylinder does not return quickly. I have new pads
Because one on the front just barely passed, and i assumed
One of the pistons was hung up, seeing as the pad was very
Thin and the piston was out to near its limit and got cocked
In the bore. I have a rebuild kits for the front--- but now i obviously need
To buy new brake lines. Any sugestion on who offerds the best
Priced ss braided lines?

Thanks for the great photos

"I bought a 1998 r1100rsl 75th with 7450 miles on it, I have had the brakes bled, but when I nail the brakes it stops, but I don't feel the ABS kickiing in. I was told by my dealer that to fix this it would be $2500.00 Help!!!"

Being from Wisconsin I bet I know your dealer choices. May want to come up to Green Bay for a checkup. When you say you "nail the brakes" but no ABS may mean you're simply not on the brakes hard enough. That vintage of ABS system takes some effort to get the ABS to engage. But other more telling issues:
1. Does the ABS pump "cycle" when the bike first moves out after startup?
2. Does the ABS pump routinely "cycle" test itself after coming to a stop at random times?
3. Are the ABS lights off when in motion? Or are the ABS lights flashing alternately?

If it doesn't do #1 and #2, or if the lights are flashing, then there is a problem. If it does everything normally, then you may just need more ABS practice. $2500 for an ABS repair sounds like the dealer wants to replace the ABS modulator with a $2000 new part.

Any sugestion on who offerds the best Priced ss braided lines?
Spiegler -- not sure if they are the absolute lowest price, by they are certainly price competitive, have an excellent product, and are a US-based company with very good US-as-first-language tech support. They are my go-to source for SS lines; I just picked up a set at the MOA rally to go on my R1150RT-P.

Spiegler -- not sure if they are the absolute lowest price, by they are certainly price competitive, have an excellent product, and are a US-based company with very good US-as-first-language tech support. They are my go-to source for SS lines; I just picked up a set at the MOA rally to go on my R1150RT-P.

US is a language now? Who knew? :laugh

Yes, I'm just kidding around eh.

Yes, and the Gentleman with the accent is extremely helpful.:german

US is a language now? Who knew? :laugh

Yes, I'm just kidding around eh.

I'm usually able to tell the difference in Germans (and some other Europeans) who have been taught English by Brits vs Americans. Quite a lot of subtle differences. After all, didn't 'Enry Iggins say that Americans haven't used the language for years?:wave

14 year old brake hose

Hi all,

I've been following this thread and have purchased a set of SS brake hoses and plan to replace the original hoses on my RT at end of this riding season. However I was having our van's brakes serviced the other day and have decided to have the tech replace the front brake hoses, being that the van is a 1998 Nissan Quest (with about 200K km). I've asked for the original hoses to be returned to me, as I was interested in their internal condition. Anyhow yesterday I picked up the van and the old original brake hoses. The van's brakes felt pretty much the same as before the brake service. Anyhow, I tried to blow through the old hoses with my mouth, no issues, clear and free of any obstructions, then I cut both of the old brake hoses apart in several places on each hose, and there were no issues that I could see. The internals were clean and I could easily see daylight when viewing through one of the 3 inch sections. Pictures attached, well one only as the system is not allowing me to post more than one. BTW, the brake fluid was only replaced twice in the van over its life time.

I'm thinking there may be manufacturing differences between the BMW bike hoses and the Nissan van hoses. This may explain such a difference between what I've seen on this thread of hoses from 10 year old bikes. Or that the bike hoses are more exposed to UV light?? BTW anyone have instructions for replacing bike hoses with SS type?

Attachments

• brakehose1.jpg
    brakehose1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 242
I've wondered about the automotive brake lines as well. They seem tougher than the motorcycle lines have been.

I got a set of Spieglers recently, will install them soon.

I sent an inquiry in to Galfer's customer service e-mail address and never heard back, so they are out of business in my book.

chrisZ,
the easiest method is to route the new lines alongside the old ones before disconnecting. That mainly applies to the longer hoses.The short ones from calipers to union block on front , and the one from rear master to caliper, I just lay on correct sides before teardown.
Some minor twisting of hose ends is sometimes required...Spiegler gives you a little nylon "tool" to do that with. Just twist a little at a time and SLOWLY! Make sure the new crush washers are on both sides of fittings before snugging down.

I use a large syringe to empty the master resevoirs and cover all painted surfaces that may potentially get fluid on them.
Bleed everything and be careful the first time you grab the brakes hard...sometimes a huge difference in feel & action! Our '95 was the worst and had the biggest change in performance.

My rt1100 had much smoother braking after the Spieglers went on. There were kind of grabby before the switchover.

Back