• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone done the Lake Michigan Loop?

designerd

I'm heading out in a couple weeks for a 5 day trip around Lake Michigan, starting in Chicago, through WI, MN, MI, and IN. My route plan was going to entail hitting "avoid highways" on the GPS, and that was pretty much it! I've had good luck with that method so far, and generally I like to keep it pretty spontaneous, however this time I have the girlfriend with me, and she might not be as crazy about a 10 hour day on the bike as I am.

Any route suggestions, places to stay, eats, must sees, etc.?

Just hug the lake when you get north of grand rapids. Mackinaw island is a blast if you haven't seen it and the mackinaw bridge is fun. There's a great road on the Wisconsin side I think it's "53" but can't remember for sure. It runs north/south and has a ton of curves over about a 30 mile stretch.

Make sure to take really good mosquito repellent for the UP, they're like small birds. Some nice waterfalls and such near porcupine mtn state park.

Do not miss M119 tunnel of trees rd it is great east side of traverse bay check it out on the web excellent ride.

Just did the eastern side of Lake Michigan last month and agree on the MI119 Tunnel of Trees suggestion. Let me add MI22 east of Manistee off US31. Very fine road up thru Sleep Bear Dunes National Lake Shore and up to Grand Traverse Lighthouse. When it ends in Traverse City take US31 up to MI119. Suggest if you can shoe horn a trip over the northern shore of Lake Superior - you will enjoy it. Have a great ride!

H58 between Munising, MI and Pictured Rocks is an awesome strectch in the UP. Great shots of lake superior. Whitefish Point shipwreck museum is a great stop where you can see the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald. You can hug the shore up to the Soo Locks. The UP is an awesome place and lots of cool spots to check out like the many waterfalls.

Check out M22 on a map from Traverse City, MI
119 is the Tunnel of Trees and you can pick that up after you cross the Mackinaw Bridge
Eat at Java Joes in St. Ignace they have several hotels there and if that works in to be a spot to stay
Lots of good places for to eat along M22
In Newberry, MI which is in the idle of the UP there is Oswalds Bear Ranch. He takes in orphaned bear cubs and raises them. Your girl will love you if you stop there and you can take a photo feeding one.

Last edited:
Two riding friends just did a trip like that.

They started on the MI. side and took a ferry across to WI. rode north then across the UP /MI.
They did run in to some dampish chilly weather in the UP ( ymmv).

When you cross the Big Mac bridge it is really something to behold.

Be sure and stop at the Sleeping Bear sand dunes .

Back