Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1150RT Fuel System Failure and Warning Light.

For those who want to make a fuel system test of an R1150RT to check its condition, here's a straightforward method based on the fuel pump spec of delivering 110 liters/hour at 43 psi). Other systems may have different numbers.

Put a fuel pressure gauge in series with the high pressure line.

Take the return line and route it through a hose with a QD into a fuel container. Take all appropriate safety precaustions and have a proper fire extinguisher on hand. Do this outside if possible.

Start the motor and let it idle for two minutes exactly, then shut off the engine. You should have just under 1 gallon in the container. The fuel pressure during idle should read 43 PSI plus or minus 4 PSI.

Feel free to check the numbers, I'll be testing my system later this week or next.

broke down 150 miles from home . had fuel volumn and what i thought was pressure until i put a gauge inline on the pressure side and the gauge read zero.
    first i thought the gauge was broken until i hooked up to my jeep and the gauge read 50psi. very surprised what i saw when i pull the sender out of the tank.

question. is it worth buying a gs911 for a r1150gs. is it just a code read or can you read data. or is there another way to read codes . being an auto tech i hate just swapping parts and would like to see what the motronics reads

check your road side assistance i was 150 miles from home when i broke down and progressive couldnt find a tow service
    to tow my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cardoctor View Post
    broke down 150 miles from home . had fuel volumn and what i thought was pressure until i put a gauge inline on the pressure side and the gauge read zero.
    first i thought the gauge was broken until i hooked up to my jeep and the gauge read 50psi. very surprised what i saw when i pull the sender out of the tank.

question. is it worth buying a gs911 for a r1150gs. is it just a code read or can you read data. or is there another way to read codes . being an auto tech i hate just swapping parts and would like to see what the motronics reads

check your road side assistance i was 150 miles from home when i broke down and progressive couldnt find a tow service
    to tow my bike.
    That's some photo. Here are some numbers the bike will run quite well with leaking hoses that you could find by pressure/volume tests.

What I would say to that is that all three of the hoses, that I now believe are original, were degraded--time, heat, gasoline and alcohol exposure. The hose coming from the fuel pump was in the worst physical condition but not leaking. The other two hoses look almost new until you examine them closely. I believe that many motorcycles will have similarly degraded hoses in the tank unless they've been replaced.

I just looked up the pump spec which is 110 liters per hour at 43 PSI, the pressure our bikes run at. Our injectors have a maximum flow of 350 cc/min so two of them can flow 750 cc/min or 45 liters/hour. Cruising at 75 MPH requires 20% of the injectors max flow (or a little less) that's about 9 liters/hour.

So the hoses inside the tank could be leaking at the rate of 70 liters per hour and you'd never know it.

I don't believe the situation I found is unique. At the same time I'm not surprised that, as of yet, you haven't had a problem

On the1150s you can read a long list of real time values but not so on the 1100. Also you can read and clear faults, cycle the purge valve and fuel pump, set the TPS and some other things. No fuel pressure though since that is not monitored.

The innovate Motorsports LC-1 that I installed for a richer closed loop mixture has a big side benefit--real time monitoring and logging of air-fuel ratio. You really know what's going on.

I got the bmwmoa platinum tow service when I signed up. They brought me 100 miles for free, cost would have been about 200-250$. Good deal.

I got the chance today to split and study the hoses and see where the specific leaks were occurring. In the photo below you can see three splits:

--The worst, that I believe led to the breakdown, was in the U-shaped hose. It's a crack over 3/4" long on the inside and 1/2" on the outside.

--Also there were two splits on the hose going to the filter input each about 3/8" long on the inside and 1/8" and 1/4" on the outside.

It seems unlikely to me that all three splits occurred at the same moment. Most likely I've been driving for a long while with leaking "innards". It also leads me to conclude again that other bikes are likely to have this condition.

As long as the leaks are small enough that the fuel pressure remains around 43 psi which means that not more that 60-70 liters per hour (gulp!) are leaking internally, the motorcyle operates normally. Finally, one tears open and a catastrophic failure occurs.

Today I put together a fuel pressure gauge and flow-volume testing setup to create a baseline for my R1150RT. The spec for the pressure regulator is 43 psi and the fuel pump is rated for 110 liters per hour.

Here's a photo of the fuel pressure gauge connected to two QDs salvaged from a plastic to metal QD conversion. And a female QD connected to a collection hose. The idea is to connect the fuel gauge to the high pressure feed hose, and connect the collection hose to the regulator side of the return line so that fuel bypassing the fuel pressure regulator is collected in the container and weighed. This way you can measure both the fuel pressure and total fuel volume.

In order to develop 95 HP (R1150 Max.), the system has to be able to output a minimum of 35 to 40 liters per hour.

Here is the system connected to the motorcycle.

Here is the idle fuel pressure, 44 psi.

I ran the motorcycle for 60 seconds and collected 3 lbs. 13 oz. of fuel which equates to 0.64 gallons (6 lbs. per gallon), which translates to 145 liters per hour. Much better than the pump spec of 110 l/h and easily 3 times the amount required to produce full power. Every 10 minutes the pump runs 5 gallons of fuel through the system.

Thinking back on the failure of my system and the multiple cracks in the hose. I suspect that my system was running fine with some leaks but then one opened to the point where there was little to no fuel pressure. If I'd been measuring pressure and volume once a year I might have caught this long ago.

The 145 l/h will serve as a baseline for future measurement to assess the health of the fuel delivery system including pump, filter and internal hose condition.

As a side note, the new pump is noticeably quieter than the old one. Also the engine is noticeably smoother (am I imagining this?) Which I believe is due to the better injector matching (< 2%) after cleaning.

RB

moenko
    Dang Roger, with all that knowledge you have, you should open a BWM Repair shop in the Greater Springfield area... we are in desperate need of local expertise. Wish I could "hire" you for a day just to adjust my valves

Quote Originally Posted by moenko View Post
    Dang Roger, with all that knowledge you have, you should open a BWM Repair shop in the Greater Springfield area... we are in desperate need of local expertise. Wish I could "hire" you for a day just to adjust my valves
    Very kind of you to say but there are dozens of more qualified wrenches whose previous posts I rely on. I'm fortunate to have some extra time and have chosen to use it to study the fueling, Motronic and O2 sensor.

My wife just told me that she had a shot of my arrival which I should have posted it at the start of the thread but it below shows the "part" I had to temporarily add to get my bike the last 100 miles of my trip. All the repair parts (including a new pump) cost less than the temporary "tow device".