• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Going to the rally - What to wear?

jpk1100

I will be coming from the East (Eastern Canada) and will be on the road for about 2 weeks in all.

What should I wear: my Darien jacket and pants, or my Joe Rocket mesh jacket (with a waterproof liner for the rainy days)?

JPK1100

Dressing for the occasion is kind of a personal question....

Attachments

• pink_KTM.jpg
    pink_KTM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 489
Travel (distance days) in the Darien... dayride/sightsee in the mesh; got pants with
that? The mesh should pack small & does not need to be kept dry...strap it on.

I'm wearing Olympia mesh jacket and pants. It is going to be hot and humid.

I carry a Frogg Toggs rain suit in case things get wet or cold...cold is not likely. The quilted Olympia liners are too warm for this time of the year unless you are at high elevation.

Definitely mesh gear. Especially pants!:heart

And stay hydrated!

Voni
sMiling

Mesh

I have a Scorpion Hi-vis mesh jacket, Joe Rocket mesh pants and wear LDC under it all.

The jacket has a waterproof liner that can be worn; but I usually just get wet and let the air dry me.

Thanks everyone... So mesh it will be... and the original (shorter) windscreen for my K1100, to let more air come through.

JPK1100

The original question is really one related both to expected heat and to versatility. So I'll tell a story. Back in '03 Voni and I rode the Iron Butt Rally. I had both mesh gear - jacket and pants, and an Aerostich Roadcrafter two piece suit. Leg one of the rally had us approaching Las Vegas on a day they set a daily record high of 114F. I was wearing mesh gear with a cool-vest under the jacket. The vest worked for about 10 minutes and then was dry. It was just a continuous blast of hot air blowing through the mesh. We stopped and I switched to the Roadcrafter jacket and pants. The vest would stay damp for maybe 45 minutes, and I was entirely a lot cooler and more comfortable - if it is possible to use that term at 114. With the mesh I was in serious danger of very rapid dehydration despite how much I drank.

We now travel North America for 4 or 5 months each summer and go back home to Texas in the fall. I bring two pairs of riding pants - Roadcrafter and First Gear mesh, and one jacket, an Aerostich Darian. The temperature range where the mesh jacket is best is too narrow - 75 to 85 basically - to warrant carrying the extra jacket.

If you have a fully faired bike with very limited air flow on the torso mesh might work better in a wider range.

Thanks Paul,

Mine is a K1100LT. I do have a longer (higher) windscreen but I think I will put back the original, shorter one, that allows more air.

I'm torn on this one. It seems all the reports of mesh drying out the underlayer are from out west with that dry heat that sucks moisture out of everything. What about those of us riding thru the hot and humid South? I have full mesh...and also a 1 piece Stich. I'm worried that even with all vents open the GSA just has too much wind protection to effectively cool in muggy conditions.

Can anyone speak to that?

Pete

I can Pete

I'm torn on this one. It seems all the reports of mesh drying out the underlayer are from out west with that dry heat that sucks moisture out of everything. What about those of us riding thru the hot and humid South? I have full mesh...and also a 1 piece Stich. I'm worried that even with all vents open the GSA just has too much wind protection to effectively cool in muggy conditions.

Can anyone speak to that?

Pete

I feel your pain.

I rode with my Belstaff for years for over 100,000 miles with NO problems. Then came Bloomsburg.

I pulled out my plastic and bought the LD comfort shorts, short sleeved top and helmet liner. Then I waited around until the last minute on Saturday to make an offer on a Scorpion mesh hi-vis jacket. That paired with mesh pants did wonders at 119 [indicated] on my way from the rally to Philly to visit a friend.

Now that is my preferred gear when the temps go past 90; which they do here quite often.

I feel your pain.

I rode with my Belstaff for years for over 100,000 miles with NO problems. Then came Bloomsburg.

I pulled out my plastic and bought the LD comfort shorts, short sleeved top and helmet liner. Then I waited around until the last minute on Saturday to make an offer on a Scorpion mesh hi-vis jacket. That paired with mesh pants did wonders at 119 [indicated] on my way from the rally to Philly to visit a friend.

Now that is my preferred gear when the temps go past 90; which they do here quite often.

Thanks, Jerry. Appreciate the input. Hit me up for a shot of that 15 year old Glenfiddich in my saddlebag when we meet.

Pete

I ride an 07' GT and just rec'd some new mesh.. I do wear LDC.. thinking based on recent rides that between the armor in the jacket and pants, fairing and stock screen enough airflow is blocked to stick with the mesh. I've read the IBA article on covering up and NO mesh with LD Comfort gear, on local rides in heat I am finding not as much airflow as I expected. Paul I like your take on a fully faired bike, but this will be my first 1,000 mile ride... perhaps the stretch kevlar jacket should go to? :scratch

mesh or no

Rode some last week in the 102 to 106 heat and cannot imagine not having mesh. Was wearing bmw air ii pants- Olympic bushwhacker mesh jacket and multitech helmet. Riding was not a problem could stick a knee or elbow out to catch more air and when stopped raising the visor or whole front made big difference in comfort level.

I go with the mesh, Firstgear. LD shorts and a wal*mart under armor knock off t shirt. The synthetic underwear & the mesh work well together. If it would get cold, the Frog Tog (probably any rainsuit) will cut the breeze pretty well as needed with little or no addition to the load on the bike.

I also make a serious effort to hydrate myself. I use a Camelback knock off that I got at Costco & sip constantly. Dehydration like many things will creep up on you, once dehydrated your judgement & coordination suffer. it is a slow process to reverse the results.

Evaporation of perspiration cools you, The mesh & the synthetics let the evaporation take place efficiently & then you must refill your body with the liquids to keep the process going.

One hot day I spent a good bit of time in the "beer cave" at a gas & go type place drinking my bottle of water, not the beer. I think I had an icicle on my nose when I left but it felt sooo good and it sure did refresh me..

I ride an RT and can't imagine wearing anything other than mesh in this heat. I wear an Olympia Bushwacker jacket (in grey) and RevIt Hurricane pants. I wear synthetic, quick-dry undergarments and shirt and what wind I get just whistles right through everything. A beaded seat cover really helps too as it keeps air flowing under my butt. I also carry a Patagonia Guide Jacket and similar pants for when it's a bit cooler. These garments add a bit of warmth, but more importantly they block the wind - important when wearing them under the mesh. And as a previous poster mentioned, there's always the rain suit to employ if it gets even colder.

I remember before the mesh having to put up with the heat wearing a Roadcrafter. Won't ever do that again as there is nothing worse than having a nearly non-breathable layer stuck to your body for hours at a time. Maybe if the lining in them wasn't that taffeta material ...

And, of course, staying hydrated is really, really important too. I carry a water bladder with hose (a Platypus knock-off) in the glove compartment and can drink as I ride along.

Back