Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ilium Highway Pegs, Tupperware Removal '09 R1200RT

Attorney at Law

Ilium Highway Pegs, Tupperware Removal '09 R1200RT

I know this has been asked 1,000 times already, so at the risk of offending everyone here we go. I have been researching different highway pegs for my 2009 R1200RT. I think I have settled on the Ilium pegs. Do I really need to remove all the tupperware to install the pegs? Can I remove the lower, silver engine fairing by simply removing the 6 screws or is it a part of main fairing? I've read that some have removed the bottom 3 or 4 screws and simply "shoehorned" the tupperware, but I have seen what that stuff costs and I don't want to break anything. Yes, I have read that removing all the tupperware is some right of passage when owning a BMW, I'd just rather not perform that right at this time. That being said, if I must, I will. I'd rather do it myself than pay a wrench turner $90+ for the honor.

Attorney at Law

P.s.

I have nothing against wrench turners, I've just always prefered to do things myself unless it is absolutely impractical.

Tupperware

I was reluctant to remove mine too but took the plunge 1 rainy day. I used a YouTube video from I believe max BMW and had quite the feeling of accomplishment when I finished. Go for it.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

On the Road
    I donÔÇÖt think you can get the silver lower body panels off without removing the fuel tank covers, since they are attached to each other , and I donÔÇÖt think you can remove those until youÔÇÖve removed the tank bag mount and side panel. At any rate, you'll find it much easier, faster and safer for your bike to just peal away the body panels. YouÔÇÖll find good instructions on this forum, and also watch the Max BMW youtube video on body panel removal.

FYI IÔÇÖm also going to install the Ilum pegs on my ÔÇÿ09RT but when I called they said theyÔÇÖre on back order.

Bill

Tupperware

Removal and replacement of the tupperware on an R1200RT is not that difficult. If you follow the instructions from the tech article on this site or use the Max BMW video, you will be fine and will marvel at your tech skills afterward. I'm a 90 lb mechanical moron weakling, but felt like a technological giant who will never let my RT kick sand in my face at the beach again after completing this.....go ahead give it a try!

You don't have to remove the body panels to install the Illium pegs. You can loosen the bottoms at the front [the bigger torx] and back and you can carefully slip the mounts in. The real bitch is the right side rear mount. Seems almost nothing fits in the space you have without removing the body panel - but it can be done.

Installing mine took something like a half hour - no BMW tupperwares were removed or died during that time.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Link to Semper Fi's RT Plastic Removal

Find it here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=35262

Great explanation, detailed photos. Makes the job easy. Once the plastic is off, you get a chance to look at all the important stuff on the bike.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

flylow1
    it can be done without removing the tupperware but it is likely much more difficult than if you have the free access with the panels off. It really is not difficult at all to remove the tupperware and it only takes about 15 minutes taking your time. Just don't lose any screws.

Attorney at Law

Thanks gang.

As you call all probably tell, I am new to the BMW community.

ExGman, I printed out those slides and will refer to them when I remove the fairings (excuse me, "tupperware").

wkottd, I ordered mine from http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=123355. They are in stock and if you call them directly, they will probably waive shipping if you ask.

flylow1
    tupperware is the tongue and cheek reference to all of the plastic body components.

Attorney at Law
    Yeah, I caught that. Cute.

On the Road
    Thanks for the tip!
    I ordered them online, nobody there today. Good news is their having a secret 4th of July sale; 15% off everything, ends at midnight, so of course I ordered enough to get free shipping!

Bill

Attorney at Law
    I've used A&S a few times. They seem very knowledgable and easy to work with. I could have lived without knowing about the sale as I bought mine a couple days ago. Dammit

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooksdavis View Post
    I've used A&S a few times. They seem very knowledgable and easy to work with. I could have lived without knowing about the sale as I bought mine a couple days ago. Dammit
    Any retailer worth a damn will give you the adjustment.

Email 'em and ask for it!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

ozonewanderer
    I was scared of removing the tupperware, but I bought the Ilium pegs and did it. It was not bad at all. My advice:
    1) study the available online documentation for removing the tupperware. Some screws that look awful to get to don't need to be removed.
    2) Remove only one side at a time so that when you put it back together you can study the other side to see how it fits back together.

I would recommend removing the entire side rather than a few screws and trying to sneak the Ilium peg bolts in. You want to make sure it is secured well.

You will be fine.