• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Edelweiss Alps Tour - June 2012

So hopefully this tidbit is useful -

I didn't mention this because it didn't seem relevant to the trip report, but in the larger context perhaps it is.

My riding buddy and I were able to go because Edelweiss is a big supporter of BMW MOA. My riding buddy won the trip as part of the raffle a couple of years ago, so the trip cost was essentially cut in half.

Edelweiss is a quality outfit, if do you choose to go on a guided tour, they are worthy of your consideration.

Anyone can feel free to ride guided or unguided anywhere they wish in the free world. Guided worked for us quite well and we enjoyed the experience - it was a first for me and I appreciated their expertise, equipment, accomodations and guides.

Sadly though, Alps touring reports in the Owners News for quite some time now have mostly been Edelweiss touring reports and the fact that they do advertize in the ON most probably has a lot to do with it. It would be refreshing to read reports of tours done by those who have gone on their own. Yes, there have been some in ON in the past, but very few and even less as the time went on.

BTW Beemer01, someone did send me their GPS track log. Sorry to say, they missed taking him on some great roads that were "right there".

......... It would be refreshing to read reports of tours done by those who have gone on their own. Yes, there have been some in ON in the past, but very few and even less as the time went on.

Have at it Alex, you go every year.

Maybe If I get ambitious I will past up the self guided 16 day trip we took with our sons in 2011

In my signature line there are links to my 2010 and 2012 trips with Beach's Motorcycle Adventures, 2012 is still in progress.

For those that do choose a guided tour, and want to support those that support the MOA, need to look at Beach's. Part of the very first MOAON was composed on Bob Beach's kitchen table, they have given away tours at the rally for years, and they are an AMERICAN company.

BUT the biggest reason is they will hold your hand every day if you want, but more important they provide the logistics but also the tools to let you do your own thing if you want. 4-6 routes per day,you stop where YOU want to take a picture, or take that extra road if you want.

When I pass the Edelweiss groups all in tow like a chain gang, all I can think of is the riders are on a bus tour, where they all experience the EXACT same thing whether they want to or not. Yup, a bus tour where you pay for your own gas and get wet when it rains. :dunno

Great report

Thanks Brian for sharing your experience. I remember the name vaguely "Thomas", didn't he ride with you to Gillette, WY MA Rally?

Interesting article indeed. I see from your profile you don't have the old Red ?? Bike anymore. You liked speed, so KGT fits you perfectly!

The tag on your right arm jacket, isn't that of Chicago Police?

Montauk -

Thomas is indeed a recurring riding partner - did Gilette and some other memorable rides with him.

I'm not Chicago Police, this is the Chicago Flag and tho the Police wear it, others do as well.

I wear it as a talisman - seems to ward off traffic tickets :D

I hope you're enjoying your California riding!

Bryan

Back