Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Edelweiss Alps Tour - June 2012

Alex -

I began to include the details of every town visited and decided that for most of us that was way too much detail and got in the way of the story.

I'm happy that you like to self guide, but the 'insurance' of having a replacement bike to keep us rolling was a consideration. I also preferred following the local leader, as opposed to tracking with a tank bag map or GPS on my initial Alps trip.

Edelweiss is a top tier outfit - (though if one of my fellow riders had a spouse trying to follow in a rented Fiat, I would not have had such a good experience.) We rode briskly and made good time, whether in the group or in small self guided tours - which you'll note we did for 25% of the time.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    I began to include the details of every town visited and decided that for most of us that was way too much detail and got in the way of the story.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't provide any info for those who are interested. A story next to each pic isn't necessary, just a short caption.

But being on forums for a long time, the reason captions aren't included is because most can't remember where the pic was taken (already explained why in a previous response) or details about the pic itself.

TIP: When using a digital camera, synchronize the time to the GPS. Then all you have to do is hit the "Mark" button every time a pic is taken.

Rally Rat
    Loved reading about your trip! If I took a tour there I'd probably use the same outfit as it sounds like y'all had a good time. It'd be nice to go travel there and not have to think about navigating yourself and I think doing so in a group adds a dynamic that would be interesting at least. I have a horrible sense of direction sometimes so having a guide would be great. Not sure if I'd keep a guide on subsequent trips though.

BOBSST
    Beemer01 - thanks for taking the time and effort to produce a great ride report. We just completed our third Edelweiss tour and again enjoyed it very much. Gottfried was also one of our guides along with Axel and Herman. Christian and Michael were guides on past tours and we have enjoyed their expertise very much. Unfortunatly every time someone like you or me takes the time to do a ride report on a guided tour, GlobalRider feels the need to jump in and knock it - this time he even feels the need to critisize your posting format. Different strokes for different folks GlobalRider and why not leave your bragging for your own website.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsST View Post
    Unfortunatly every time someone like you or me takes the time to do a ride report on a guided tour, GlobalRider feels the need to jump in and knock it - this time he even feels the need to critisize your posting format.
    Where did I knock it? Show me!

What I do knock are those that "brag" that going "guided" is the only way to go. All that accomplishes is turn away many that dream of going, but can't afford it. So instead of putting the fear of God about traveling into riders, I try my best to get them to experience some of the best areas for riding...on a budget.

And as for a posting format, I guess if one is shallow and does not want to know where a pic was taken or any details about it, well a lot of help that travel thread is.

And when you want to criticize my web, at least it is informative, with locations, a short write-up, even some GPS coordinates and a map.

So before you mouth off, why don't you make yourself more useful!

So hopefully this tidbit is useful -

I didn't mention this because it didn't seem relevant to the trip report, but in the larger context perhaps it is.

My riding buddy and I were able to go because Edelweiss is a big supporter of BMW MOA. My riding buddy won the trip as part of the raffle a couple of years ago, so the trip cost was essentially cut in half.

Edelweiss is a quality outfit, if do you choose to go on a guided tour, they are worthy of your consideration.

Anyone can feel free to ride guided or unguided anywhere they wish in the free world. Guided worked for us quite well and we enjoyed the experience - it was a first for me and I appreciated their expertise, equipment, accomodations and guides.

Sadly though, Alps touring reports in the Owners News for quite some time now have mostly been Edelweiss touring reports and the fact that they do advertize in the ON most probably has a lot to do with it. It would be refreshing to read reports of tours done by those who have gone on their own. Yes, there have been some in ON in the past, but very few and even less as the time went on.

BTW Beemer01, someone did send me their GPS track log. Sorry to say, they missed taking him on some great roads that were "right there".

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    ......... It would be refreshing to read reports of tours done by those who have gone on their own. Yes, there have been some in ON in the past, but very few and even less as the time went on.
    Have at it Alex, you go every year.

Maybe If I get ambitious I will past up the self guided 16 day trip we took with our sons in 2011

In my signature line there are links to my 2010 and 2012 trips with Beach's Motorcycle Adventures, 2012 is still in progress.

For those that do choose a guided tour, and want to support those that support the MOA, need to look at Beach's. Part of the very first MOAON was composed on Bob Beach's kitchen table, they have given away tours at the rally for years, and they are an AMERICAN company.

BUT the biggest reason is they will hold your hand every day if you want, but more important they provide the logistics but also the tools to let you do your own thing if you want. 4-6 routes per day,you stop where YOU want to take a picture, or take that extra road if you want.

When I pass the Edelweiss groups all in tow like a chain gang, all I can think of is the riders are on a bus tour, where they all experience the EXACT same thing whether they want to or not. Yup, a bus tour where you pay for your own gas and get wet when it rains.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Thumbs up Great report

Thanks Brian for sharing your experience. I remember the name vaguely "Thomas", didn't he ride with you to Gillette, WY MA Rally?

Interesting article indeed. I see from your profile you don't have the old Red ?? Bike anymore. You liked speed, so KGT fits you perfectly!

The tag on your right arm jacket, isn't that of Chicago Police?

Montauk -

Thomas is indeed a recurring riding partner - did Gilette and some other memorable rides with him.

I'm not Chicago Police, this is the Chicago Flag and tho the Police wear it, others do as well.

I wear it as a talisman - seems to ward off traffic tickets

I hope you're enjoying your California riding!

Bryan