• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200RS (2003) Fuel Leak from Quick Disconnect

Roadhawk

I had to replace the quick disconnect fuel line due to a leak on the male coupling. I am replacing that one but there is supposed to be another connector that will eventually fail. The one I am replacing is on the right side, accessible from the opening in the fairing. Anybody know where the other connector is located?

Also, at $36 bucks a piece is there a better way to go?

Here is a bullatin I found regarding the issue:

2002 bmw k1200rs motorcycle fuel line quick disconnect coupling failed while in use causing fuel under high pressure to leak out onto hot engine & rider's right leg, risking fire, crash and serious injury or possible death. owner at own expense and time replaced all four couplings and clamps, two male and two female. old parts are available. *tr

Found here: http://www.faqs.org/car/bmw-k1200rs-2002/#investigations_0

You'll find a lot of info on the couplers in this forum. After reading the disasters, I changed mine on an '04 GT about a month ago. Bike had only 14,000 miles on it when I got it in April. Had a local BMW wrench do the work. The couplers are easy, it's the tupperware removal that takes all the time, and that's where the others are.
From where they're located, I would suspect heat and time weakens the plastic.
But do yourself a favor and replace them ASAP.

I had to replace the quick disconnect fuel line due to a leak on the male coupling. I am replacing that one but there is supposed to be another connector that will eventually fail. The one I am replacing is on the right side, accessible from the opening in the fairing. Anybody know where the other connector is located?

Also, at $36 bucks a piece is there a better way to go?

Here is a bullatin I found regarding the issue:

2002 bmw k1200rs motorcycle fuel line quick disconnect coupling failed while in use causing fuel under high pressure to leak out onto hot engine & rider's right leg, risking fire, crash and serious injury or possible death. owner at own expense and time replaced all four couplings and clamps, two male and two female. old parts are available. *tr

Found here: http://www.faqs.org/car/bmw-k1200rs-2002/#investigations_0

The connectors are adjacent to each other. You also need to replace both of them. Use what works, it makes life easier. You need to remove the fairing to access them, may as well learn how to do this now. Take pictures and label the screws as you remove them.
Get the kit from Beemer Boneyard and be done with it. You need disconnects with a check valve shutoff in each side, or you will have to clamp the hose each time you remove the tank.
Others will be along to tell you that there are cheaper alternatives. Want to be really cheap? You can get brass hose connectors in the plumbing department at any hardware store. You do need fuel injection type hose clamps.

Here's another vote for the Beemerboneyard kit.
Metal QDs, and the proper clamps and Viton O-rings.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

You can see both QDs in this picture.
1z1wtc6.jpg

If you ended up with a yellow stained crank cover, you can use this silver wheel paint to cover the stain.
autogeek_2217_56656638

http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-silver-paint.html

Last edited:
I agree with Bob, don't scrimp on these, I had my plastic ones actually spraying out the triangular hole - fortunately, or I never would have known it and who knows what. When installing the second one, be sure to orient it in the reverse manner as the first, ie: male on left on one, male on right on the other. This way, there is no way for you to get them mixed up when you take the tank off.

Also, yes, the quickest and cheapest is to just replace with brass or polypro tubes, and they are very effective as the emergency fix while on the side of the road or waiting for the new metal QDs to arrive.

Thanks guys. I was having a tough time seeing both connectors through the hole in the fairing. I can't imagine anything funner than pealing off the fairing panels.

Shawn

When you replace the plastic QDs, save the one good male end.
You can use it to drain your gas tank the next time you need to change the fuel filter or air filter. You don't have to drain the tank to change an air filter, but a empty tank is easier to lift compared to a full tank.

IMG_0095.jpg

mmm I replaced the quick disconnects without removing the fairing....

Re:

I would love to see that done. The longest and strongest fingers in the World. Give him a prize!:)

mmm I replaced the quick disconnects without removing the fairing....

I know one guy that did it, but no way I could manage.
Even doing one at a gas station, I found it easier to remove the tupperware.

IMG_0002.jpg

The wet area around the bike is not gas. The gas station gave me some soapy water to wash off the cases so they did not get a gas stain.

My wife carried the big rock to me to sit on. When I saw that I made a mental note to never piss her off :)

Don't give me crap about the crappy beer in the picture. When you're in Arkansas to take what you can find :)

Back