• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 R1200RT Comfort Seat?

ghargrove

I just returned from a 9-day, 3000mi. + trip. I was not really impressed with the stock seat. I used an Air Hawk and it helped a little. Has anyone tried the "BMW Comfort Seat"?
I know there are a lot of custom seats available, but I'm interested in the Comfort Seat. Input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at the Bill Mayer custom seat I have for sale in the flee market. It might be worth considering. Email or PM me to discuss.

I just returned from a 9-day, 3000mi. + trip. I was not really impressed with the stock seat. I used an Air Hawk and it helped a little. Has anyone tried the "BMW Comfort Seat"?
I know there are a lot of custom seats available, but I'm interested in the Comfort Seat. Input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't give you insight on the comfort seat, but I can about the Airhawk. A common problem with the Airhawk is over inflation. It should be inflated so you're only about a half inch off the seat. People tend to overinflate it. For me, a properly inflated Airhawk is very comfortable, and good for several hundred miles in a day (and probably could do a thousand...) I have rode on the comfort seat, but not long enough to give you any indicator of how good it is or is not for me. It seemed fine, but seats are very subjective. What's great for one is horrible for another.

Comfort Seat 2008 R1200RT

The comfortable ride time on my stock seat was about an hour. The comfort seat increased it to about three hours and is getting longer as the seat continues to break in. Currently about 2500 miles on the comfort seat. I weigh about 170lbs with a bony butt

I have about 25,000 miles on my comfort seat, and generally I like it, and have no plans on replacing it with anything else.

A couple of observations though:
1. itÔÇÖs a little wider in the front, so even though itÔÇÖs only 5mm higher then the stock seat I canÔÇÖt flat foot with it.
2. It pushes me a bit forward compared to the stock seat. This helped with my riding posture, which gives me relief from the sore back between the shoulder blades, but when IÔÇÖm in the twisties with the balls of my feet on the pegs, I canÔÇÖt slide my butt back as far as I like.
3. When 2 up, my wife likes it about the same as the stock seat (which isnÔÇÖt much).

In my opinion they got the foam right and the size and shape is good for me. IÔÇÖm 5ÔÇÖ9ÔÇØ 29 inch inseam, 215lbs (my butt is anything but boney).

Bill

^^^
Where are you all purchasing your Comfort Seat? Are you going through your dealer?

I want one to preserve the heated seat feature.

I find it somewhat perplexing that I can get great discounts (up to 25-30% off MSRP) for BMW OEM Accessories for my Bimmer, but I can't find one dealer or dealer advertisement for a discount (heck, I'd be happy w/10%) on Beemer OEM parts.

I understand the argument that discounts cut into dealer margins/profits, thereby keeping our small dealer network in check/existence, but damn, I have a hard time justifying paying full retail for an OEM product when I can get great discounts for my Bimmer, to include discounts for every other product I purchase...

Perhaps I expect a discount, and this is the issue with me? Inasmuch that I'm not a businessman/business owner, I can understand the reluctance in providing a discount. I get it... but....

Service costs on the other hand, I don't mind paying full retail.

Just my zwei pfennig. :german

Tks/Cheers,

BB

Last edited:
Comfort Seat

Max in New Hampshire had a demo comfort seat. They let me try it for a week. You might want to talk with your dealer

Take a look at the Bill Mayer custom seat I have for sale in the flee market. It might be worth considering. Email or PM me to discuss.

From the Moderator Team...just a reminder on for sale or want to buy in the main forum area- currently not allowed. This is to keep things from becoming a big messy yard sale in the main forum area. Thanks to all for your cooperation. Gary

My thoughts on the Comfort Seat are similar to Bill's (wkottd) above. I'm about the same height & inseam, but weigh less and subsequently have a boney, unpadded butt :D This is my third seat. First was the standard OEM seat, always used in the lower position. I was on the balls of my feet when stopped, but not to the point that I felt completely uncomfortable when stopped. Like most people, I found it uncomfortable after about an hour or so, but did appreciate that I could move around a bit on it for sportier riding.

The second seat was a Russell Day Long Sport Seat, which was anything but sporty IMHO. It was super comfy... like all-day comfy even without the suspension spring... but just too tall for me to feel comfortable on it. And the big wings, which are what make it so comfortable, really limit how much you can move around during spirited riding. If I lived somewhere where it was really flat and I rode 99% of the time on the slab, I would have kept the Russell. The nice thing I found with a Russell seat is that if you don't like it, you can easily sell it in the Flea Market (mine sold in literally about 30 minutes).

Now I'm on the Comfort Seat. Other than the price, I like it so far. I think it's a good balance of comfort (better than the stock OEM but not as good as the Russel), sportiness (about on par with the OEM but blows the Russell out of the water) and ground reach. If you Google "R1200RT Comfort Seat" there's a website that has a pic of a guy flat footing his RT with the CS. Due to the extra width, I still can't flat foot it, but it's better than the OEM and much better than the Russell. Hope this helps a little. I kinda wish BMW made a solo CS since I never use the pillion seat and that is what makes it more expensive versus just a driver seat replacement. But overall, I'm happy with it. Also, speaking of price, I got mine from Max in CT for about $630 just by asking, "can you do any better on the price?" Still expensive, but hey, that's a few bucks I can put towards a new FD in a few years (just kidding, I hope).

Wasted money on the stock low seat and got rid of it after a 2,000 trip. It about killed me. Need to break down and get the comfort seat. Using the regular stock seat for now. A bit of a reach but certainly workable for now.

Comfort Seat

wanted to give my two cents, I just joined the BMW community when I traded my 2006 Road Glide in for a new R1200RT at Hermy's BMW. I love the bike it is just a great ride except the seat. Had a mustang seat on my RG. I expected to give up a little comfort for all the other advantages going to the RT. My problem was more because we ride two up all the time and I was invading her space. I tried the Sargent heated, she did not like the stitching in the middle of the sitting area I than tried the Touratech and that had a hump in the back she did like but I will tell you they are a great company gave me my entire 628 dollars back and did not hold back the 15% restocking fee. we now have the comfort seat and she loves it. It does push me forward about an inch and it is more comfortable but I still need to use the airhawk after about 300 miles. I think it has the best look on the bike but that is just secondary,

I have about 20,000 miles on my comfort seat on the R1200RT and love it. I also have 7000 miles on my comfort seat on my F650GS and love it also. The last thing I ever think about is seat discomfort now while I am riding. Yes I have owned and tried all the others through the years and nothing comes close to the comfort seat.

I am perplexed as to why BMW can build such a great comfortable seat and sell a stock BMW with such a piece of ---- for a seat.
I guess they are counting on making more money on the comfort seat.

Jack

Just a quick update on the Comfort Seat... I just got back from doing 1,874 miles in 4 days. The CS was great... a little soreness towards the end of the day but overall very comfortable. Like I said in my previous post, the CS is still sporty enough to tame the Tail of the Dragon and do 500+ miles a day. I found the only thing that really bothered me were my knees and will be ordering a set of highway pegs in the near future.

Dealer Discounts

^^^
Where are you all purchasing your Comfort Seat? Are you going through your dealer?

I want one to preserve the heated seat feature.

I find it somewhat perplexing that I can get great discounts (up to 25-30% off MSRP) for BMW OEM Accessories for my Bimmer, but I can't find one dealer or dealer advertisement for a discount (heck, I'd be happy w/10%) on Beemer OEM parts.

I understand the argument that discounts cut into dealer margins/profits, thereby keeping our small dealer network in check/existence, but damn, I have a hard time justifying paying full retail for an OEM product when I can get great discounts for my Bimmer, to include discounts for every other product I purchase...

Perhaps I expect a discount, and this is the issue with me? Inasmuch that I'm not a businessman/business owner, I can understand the reluctance in providing a discount. I get it... but....

Service costs on the other hand, I don't mind paying full retail.

Just my zwei pfennig. :german

Tks/Cheers,

BB

I purchased my Comfort Seat from the dealer, and like everything else I purchase there, asked what kind of deal they'd work for me. They always offer me a standard 10% discount. Essentially offsets sales tax. I do however, pay full price on service. I've received the discount on the BMW tank bag, riding boots, and other accessories in addition to the Comfort Seat. I figure it never hurts to ask, particularly on significant purchases.

I like the Comfort Seat, by the way. I did add a sheepskin buttpad which adds even more comfort on long rides. I hope this helps.

Back