• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heading for Seattle, WA from Southern California

brhartw

Hi gang,

Wife and I want to ride to Seattle to see relatives. We have 3 days to get there and are interested in either I-5 or 101. I know each has their pluses and minuses. Can we get some tips on interesting routes along the way, any great side roads, nice (affordable) places to stay?

We rode to Denver last year and rode Rtes 12 and 24 on the advice of MOA members, and those were great roads!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks Brad

Great Trip!

I'd take the 101 north from SoCal, if only to avoid the (endless) droning on The Slab through the Central Valley. Construction, some rough pavement, sometimes heavy traffic, but the 101 still has some old-time magic for sure. I'd take 101N to "somewhere" north of the Bay Area, then figure out which 2-lane you want to use to cut across to I-5 to continue tripping for the reason(s) stated below:

The section of I-5 from about Red Bluff north to around Roseburg, OR, is about as good a section of slab as there is. . .just beautiful, and some FINE twisties to be had, as well as eye-candy. You can make good time, but do watch for the Smokies.

After Portland, take a left at Kelso/Longview (WA) on Hwy 4 out to the coast, and back to the 101N for a few miles along the salty water, then Hwy 105 (watch out for logging trucks!) into Aberdeen area, then U.S. 12E toward Olympia, and figure out how to get to Seattle from there -- several choices to include jumping back on I-5 (not at rush-hour, please), OR hit the 101 again west of Puget's Sound and take 106/3 into Bremerton area. . .

Of course, IF you have the time, the 101 that loops the Olympic Peninsula is also recommended, and you can peel off at Hwy 104, and then take the Kingston Ferry into Seattle from the north. . .

When in Seattle, EAT! Some of the finest restaurants in the country, no kidding.

Ferries: Motorcycles get to go to the front of the loading lines, which means you get to take the very next boat, AND you're first-off when you get where you're going. . .sweet. WA State ferries are pretty great, so take one if you can.

Drink deep -- you're a lucky man.

Walking Eagle

I would stay to 101/1 as long as time allows. I agree with Walking eagle, the I-5 is a nice ride from Red Bluff to about Grants Pass. You can take Hwy 36 from Fortuna (just a bit South of Fortuna) to Red Bluff. This is a fantastic ride! I-5 from Red Bluff up to Southerlin is nice riding, not too much traffic and great views. However, get off I-5 before Eugene! 138 to 38 to Reedsport is a nice ride back to the coast. I'd stay on 101 until the Portland area. Then, it would depend on your time line how you get through the Portland area.

5 is about as boring as it gets from Bako up to about Red Bluff. At least after Red Bluff, you get some variety. You can also take HWY 25 from San Miguel up to about Gilroy as a bypass, it is pretty through there & not as far out of the way as say, HWY 1.

Hi gang,

Wife and I want to ride to Seattle to see relatives. We have 3 days to get there and are interested in either I-5 or 101. I know each has their pluses and minuses. Can we get some tips on interesting routes along the way, any great side roads, nice (affordable) places to stay?

We need a bit more information. What are your limits for mileage/hours per day on the bike? it's makes a big difference in what you can do.

My only addition at this point is to take I-205 to the east of Portland rather than I-5 if you come through this way.

"Ferries: Motorcycles get to go to the front of the loading lines, which means you get to take the very next boat, AND you're first-off when you get where you're going. . .sweet. WA State ferries are pretty great, so take one if you can. "

That's good advice, and I'd add that you should be through the toll booth about 15 minutes before the scheduled departure, loading starts about 10 minutes before departure. If they've started loading cars and trucks prior to your arrival, you may end up on the stern of the vessel. Bicycle riders load first, then motorcycles, then everyone else.

I'd also vote for 101 up the coast, to NorCal, but I'd strongly consider skipping the Redding bit. It is a darn nice ride, but I'd keep on the coast a little bit further and take the road (199)from Crescent City to Grants Pass. It's a good road with a LOT less traffic than 299 to Redding.

Another vote for the southern section of the Washington coast line. Very scenic, but without all the small towns and heavy traffic of the Oregon coast. Don't get me wrong, the Oregon coast is great, but it can be very slow going during the summer vacation months.

And finally, the ferry run from Bremerton to Seattle is a bit more scenic than some of the other cross Sound routes. It's a bit longer ride (but same cost) and traverses a narrow section of water before hitting the open water of the main Sound. We live on the west side of the Sound, and I always take visitors on this ride. During the middle of the day it has far less traffic then other routes as well.

Have a great ride! :dance

Thanks everybody! Those are great suggestions as we plan our ride.

I agree about 101, much preferred over the 5.

The route from Crescent City to Grants Pass is a great ride! However, we may have to use the 5 to get to Sacramento if our plans change.

We will ride about 450 miles per day.

Our goal is a wedding reception in Sebastopol on the 28th, and then a ride to Banks, Ore to see friends and then on in to Seattle. However, plans may change to visit friends in Sacramento first, Banks, Ore second and then Seattle third. From Seattle a ride down to Sebastopol either along the coast over a couple of days. Still planning.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Aha! I wondered...:scratch

Some nice alternate routes through the Cascades from Seattle to Bend...or vice versa. :thumb

Cheers!

So the three day plan to Seattle is actually more days?

If going from Bend to Seattle, take 26 to Hood River, cross the toll bridge and take WA 14 west to Carson. Head north on Wind River Road. Left on Curley Creek Road to FS 90, then right onto FS 25. This takes you up the east side of Mt St Helens. 25 is now plowed and open all the way. FS 99 to the Windy Ridge should be clear of snow by the time you come through if you are able to take a side trip. Once up to US 12, head west to Morton, then north on HWY 7. It's not big mileage, but it's a full day of riding.

Here's a good description of the FS 25 segment. http://www.soundrider.com/archive/tips/fs_25.htm

If going from Bend to Seattle, take 26 to Hood River, cross the toll bridge and take WA 14 west to Carson. Head north on Wind River Road. Left on Curley Creek Road to FS 90, then right onto FS 25. This takes you up the east side of Mt St Helens. 25 is now plowed and open all the way. FS 99 to the Windy Ridge should be clear of snow by the time you come through if you are able to take a side trip. Once up to US 12, head west to Morton, then north on HWY 7. It's not big mileage, but it's a full day of riding.

Here's a good description of the FS 25 segment. http://www.soundrider.com/archive/tips/fs_25.htm

Big +1 on that...some very pretty country for a ride. FYI, you can check Forest Service road conditions on line through the USFS... That area is in the Gifford Pinchot NF... The overlook of Mt. St. Helens from FS99 is not to be missed if you're passing through. Yeah, it's a side trip, but it's not THAT far...(bring your camera!).

Have fun!... :dance

:doh

I thought there was something I forgot. Here's a link for the road status in the GP. Everything should be clear for you, but one never knows. Washed out roads and trails are a normal part of life in the forest.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/giffordpinchot/recreation#cond

Take a picnic lunch if you have room. If you can make it up to Windy Ridge, 30 miles r/t, you can eat staring into the mouth of the crater. It's very cool.

Thanks for the linky, I was too darned lazy to find/share it!

Haven't been over the hill for a few years, need to find time to do it this summer...:brad

Cheers!

Been on this stretch a few times, beautiful ride. Just be a bit careful, though. Coming down FS25 last summer, i thought I saw some sort of large brown leaf stuck in the middle of the road. I slowed a bit, turned out it was a ground squirrel tucked into a frost heave. I WISH they would re-pave 25.... ~sigh~

Food

I've always liked the hwy 20 Santiam Pass to Bend. Takes you through some of the prettier parts of the cascade range.

I can recommend some good food in the Hood River area :)

In Hood river
Breakfast/Lunch, home cookin':
Betty's
Egg River Cafe

Lunch/dinner:
Full Sail Brewery (best beer food ever)
Mesquitery (awesome steak, pasta)
Double Mountain Brewery

In Bingen/White Salmon (across the river)
Lunch/Dinner:
Killer Burger (one of their burgers requires a waiver, it's so spicy)
Solstace Cafe (won a taste test for best pizza in WA)
Henny's (a bit fancier)
Everybody's Brewery
Los Reyes (Mexican food, tasty)

Great, now you have made me hungry. I wonder whats in the fridge?

Great tips on the cafes along the way. i always stop at mom and pop shops over the big chains.

Thanks again!

Sadly, the trip had to be canceled. Ended up riding in car to Santa Rosa, CA and back.

Did go to Bodega Bay and crossed the Golden Gate Bridge twice. Some consolation.:dunno:snore

Back