• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Swimming at the rally

ragtoplvr

I am planning for heat. I assume Sedalia has city pools, is it impolite for any of us to go down and soak a bit.

I have this image of a road weary rider jumping in in full gear, with a toxic ring of old bugs and road sludge covering the pool, people screaming.

And the other image, 30 fat old guys in the pool and people running screaming "my eyes, my eyes".

Yes I have an active imagination.

Alternatively are the local lakes fairly clear? A ride, swim, ride swim sounds kind of pleasant.

Rod

lamine rive river east of town might be place to swim. No beachs, it might be a little muddy on the banks. I'll swing by this week end and see if there are other locations that might have a gravel bar.

Brings back memories of the rally at Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch. A lot of people spent time in that creek!

Sedalia has a great pool in a nice city park just west of the down town area that is open to the public.

Could you imagine me and my flock of chickens going to the city pool.:bar

Chickens howlin at the Moon!

ROC

Nice to hear, I was packing a swim suit anyway. I heat like this, I often ride with a swim suit under the mesh, and get in a refreshing dip.

Rod

East of Sedalia and south of 50 there are a number of streams that have gravel bars. They are Haw, Gabrial and Richland Creek (All less than 20 miles).

Further SE closer to Lake of the Ozarks there are lot of clean, clear creeks flowing into the lake plus you can swim in the lake.

Last year too:)

Many of us found the swimming hole, just a short walk from the rally last year. Nice cooling off and was it HOT! I'm sure this year, misters will be about the grounds too, as last year. They were popular. Forgot the name of that creek in Bloomsburg, but very nice. Randy

Yes, I know there were a few "midnight stalkers" in our WONDERFUL lil WM pool! Best $20 investment we've made at a rally in years, probably forever! :thumb

I believe that "creek" was the Allegheny river. The Bloomsburg rally site was flooded to a depth of 6" just weeks after the Rally. Ride safe

Yep;

The track where all us GSGiants camped was about 6-8feet indeed, somebody has pictures of that here somewhere, I saw'em. Susquehanna River was nearby and that creek fed into it, right through Bloomsburg. Got a tad out of control, I'd say, a month or so after the rally. Boy, that would have been some kind a rally, with water like that. Randy:thumb

Swimming sounds like a great idea. It can be very warm in MO. in July. It will be 105 degress today in Sedalia.
I took basic training in Ft Leonardwood MO in 1968 in July and it was HOT. This time I'll wear shorts instead of fatigues while visiting MO.

Swimming sounds like a great idea. It can be very warm in MO. in July. It will be 105 degress today in Sedalia.
I took basic training in Ft Leonardwood MO in 1968 in July and it was HOT. This time I'll wear shorts instead of fatigues while visiting MO.

If you have not been to the Fort Leonard Wood/St Robert/Waynesville area in a while you would not recognize it now. A lot has changed over the last few years.

I was at Lost in the Woods the following summer (69) and it wasn't any cooler. Remember how we had to add salt tabs to our drinking water? They found out it was the wrong thing to do.

Nice march to the rifle range during July. :banghead:banghead

Will there be any vendors on site or close by that will be selling inflatable pools? That seemed to be a big item last yr!:thumb

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

google maps

I checked google maps and it looks like there is quite a bit of water around the fairgrounds; or at least within 15 minutes from there. Where are the swimming holes? I am not talking about pools.

Back