• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Asheville Nc to Nashville TN

maacova

maacova
Buddy and I are leaving Sun morning 7/15 from Asheville to Nashville on way to Rally. Looking for a good non Interstate route across the mountains. Was thinking maybe US70, or 251, or maybe 63. Have not been on any of those roads. Sat we are going south on the BRP from Virginia and staying the night in Asheville.

Ken Denton

Asheville to Nashville

Ken

How about this? Continue So. on the BRP to the end. Turn Rt on 441 and go through the Great Smokey Mtn. Park. Just before you get to Gatlinburg, turn Lt. On Little River Rd. 18 miles to Rt. on 321 (out of the Park). 321 through Maryville (my home), through Lenoir City. About 2-4 miles after you cross I-75 you can catch US 70 W. or you can continue another 5 miles or so and catch I-40 W to Nashvile. If you take 70 W, I would guess once you get to Crossville, you would take 70N which comes back to 70 in Lebenon. You should, of course check this route.

Have fun at the National. I may go but I am still on the "heat" fence.

Patrick

Asheville to Nashville

Patrick,
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check your roads out. As far as the heat goes. I figure it can't get any hotter than last year and I made it through that. Have a small battery powered fan for this year plus they have more A/C options.
Hope you decide to come.
Ken

If your point A to B is Asheville to Nashville for that day, do this....pick up Hwy. 63 off Hwy. 19- 23 just outside of Asheville. Take that to Hwy. 209 into Hot Springs, NC. Pick up Hwy. 25- 70 in Hot Springs and take that to Newport, TN. In Newport Hwy. 25 splits into 25E and 25 W. Take 25W and 70 into Knoxville.

Just east of Knoxville Hwy. 25-70 will intersect with I-40. Take I-40 west to the west side of Knoxville. You will then pick up Hwy. 70 at exit 369. Take Hwy. 70 to Crossville,TN. In Crossville Hwy. 70 will split into Hwy. 70 and Hwy. 70 N. Continue on Hwy. 70 to Liberty, TN. In Liberty pick up Hwy. 96 to Murfreesboro, TN. At this point you have a few options, continue on Hwy. 96 or take I-24 into Nashville.

All of these roads I have ridden myself. They are a combination of long sweepers and straights. Not much as far as hair pins go. What is your general direction leaving Nashville? Northwest or west?

Ken:

Another option from Asheville could be:

I-40 west;
US-74 west at Clyde;
NC-28 west at Almond;
NC-143 west to Robbinsville;
Continue west via NC-143 & TN-165  the Cherohala Skyway  to Tellico Plains TN;
TN-39 west to Athens;
TN-30 west to just outside McMinnville, picking up US-70S;
US-70S west to Murfreesboro.
From there, I-24 north will take you into Nashville.

IMO, the Cherohala is a wonderful road.

Ken:

Another option from Asheville could be:

I-40 west;
US-74 west at Clyde;
NC-28 west at Almond;
NC-143 west to Robbinsville;
Continue west via NC-143 & TN-165  the Cherohala Skyway  to Tellico Plains TN;
TN-39 west to Athens;
TN-30 west to just outside McMinnville, picking up US-70S;
US-70S west to Murfreesboro.
From there, I-24 north will take you into Nashville.

IMO, the Cherohala is a wonderful road.

excellent suggestion

Of course you are eating at the Rendezvous in Memphis. Absolutely the best combination of atmosphere and BBQ. The dry rub ribs are very good. I recommend the sampler as a starter. Oh I could go on.

Pat

... Sat we are going south on the BRP from Virginia and staying the night in Asheville.

Ken Denton

if you are catching the BRP at the I-64 northern terminus, it's a long ride to Asheville at 45 mph/2nd gear, plus they are paving the first 16 miles, and we came across a 17 mile detour north of Asheville in April.

Brp

My buddy played football at VA Tech and has a condo there for football weekends. We are leaving Richmond Friday after work and staying in Blacksburg Fri night. Getting on BRP at Fancy Gap (I77 linkup). I will check BRP website for road problems when we get a little closer to travel date. Not sure how long it will take to go from Fancy Gap to Asheville? We ride the northern sections of the BRP and are use to the slow speeds. Have not done lower sections.

Ken

Back