• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

coffee brewing

Snowmachiners (snowmobilers to you southerners) have been cooking on their exhaust pipes for many years. It's called a Hot Dogger and can be seen here.

I even saw a turkey breast cooked in one, and quite well too.

Currently using an REI Double Shot Press Mug- a combined double wall stainless cup and French press that has a nice large handle. Its a good one person size- you'd probably want a qt size if traveling 2 up. I like this setup better than a JetBoil..
Grind my coffee before I leave home and bag it tightly. Use the little sterilized half and half containers that need no refrigeration when I want cream. Heating the water takes less than 2 min on my Soto OD-1R using the pot from my cookset- and I often use that same pot to make breakfast while drinking my freshly brewed cup. If I drank coffee at night, carry a second draker roast would be simple. For AM I like a good medium roast with some acidity..
Beats heck out of the std rally coffee out of those big aluminum things for which the common stuff still seems to be the cheapest robusta junk around..

Delicious coffee that rivals my espresso machine at home:

Needed-
Ground coffee
Sealable bottle (I recommend Nalgene)
Metal cup or small pot for boiling water, or a source of boiling water

Pour boiling water into a couple of inches of grounds, contained in your nalgene bottle. Cap and swirl or shake. Open and add a dash of cold water. The dash of cold water makes the grounds settle and form a firm puck in the bottom of the nalgene. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. Grounds stay at bottom.

Starbucks via has all but replaced this. Nowhere near as good, but via is easier to deal with, and if you're a caffiene addict like me, can be used in room temp bottled water as necessary.

Several sites offer a 'espresso brewer' that I use. (offered in 2 sizes, I use the large one - for a 8 oz cup of coffe.) I take with just enough pre-ground coffee in a zip lock - brew fresh as needed. Takes about 3 minutes start to finish.

The Starbucks Via instant coffee is a great on-the-road solution. It takes up no space and all you need is hot water.

3365715476_d6aec3a310.jpg

It's the only instant coffee I would ever consider consuming.

The Via packets only have a shelf life of about 3 months. I've drank 6-month Via packets and it tasted old.

Needed-
Ground coffee

Pour boiling water into a couple of inches of grounds, contained in your nalgene bottle. Cap and swirl or shake. Open and add a dash of cold water. The dash of cold water makes the grounds settle and form a firm puck in the bottom of the nalgene. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. Grounds stay at bottom.

Starbucks via has all but replaced this. Nowhere near as good, but via is easier to deal with, and if you're a caffiene addict like me, can be used in room temp bottled water as necessary.

I'm gonna try this. Thanks.

I've become spoiled by the gourmet K-cup varieties that are available. I'm looking at ways to use a K-cup with hot water while camping. Some of the new instant coffee's are excellant and are very easy to pack. Good , Hot , Coffee tastes even better when camping out. Ride Safe

Whoever I learned it from decades ago called it indian coffee. Nothing better short of espresso. Several of us mentioned Starbucks via as a substitute- Via is a combination of instant coffee, the instant we're familiar with, and finely ground (powdered) coffee. Nowhere near as good as the real deal, but pretty danged awesome compared to Taster's Choice.
I'm gonna try this. Thanks.

If I drank coffee...

before I decided on a method, I'd make sure I liked that method of coffee brewing. My wife likes good coffee and buys it from a small batch roaster, but only likes Melita-style drip and neither likes French press nor espresso. Any on the road brew type can be tried pretty easily at a coffee house or a friends place before you shell out the shekels for an on-the-road system. Pour-over, French Press, perk, Moka-type psudo espresso, manual espresso, etc. are all available in camping form. Brew what works for you.

Tea Fan,

I carry a small cook kit with a couple of pots. I used to carry a coffee pot too. Now I just carry a Mr. Coffee brand filter basket that fits their makers in-lieu of paper filters. Heat water in pot. Pour through the filter basket into the other pot. It all nests together so the coffee basket takes zero space and weight is negligible.

As for those tea bag like things - I never did like instant coffee. I read the fine print. It said coffee and soluble coffee crystals on one brand and micro-ground coffee and dried coffee crystals on another. No thanks. It is instant coffee with a few grounds to fool you.

+ on AeroPress

We have 3 of them.

Will use the one on the boat the next two weeks while sailing on Lake Huron in Canada.

HereÔÇÖs my setup for making coffee, I use a MSR Mugmate. It makes good coffee, itÔÇÖs fast, and it stores in the mug so it takes up zero space. But then, I only drink coffee in the morning, and then itÔÇÖs more about quantity then quality.

Bill

Attachments

• Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 530
HereÔÇÖs my setup for making coffee, I use a MSR Mugmate. It makes good coffee, itÔÇÖs fast, and it stores in the mug so it takes up zero space. But then, I only drink coffee in the morning, and then itÔÇÖs more about quantity then quality.

Bill

Agree with you about the morning Joe fix - not so much about the quantity, though. Use better coffee in the first place.

Green Apron on:

We also drink a bit of tea in this household and your strainer is actually made by a company called Teeli in the Netherlands and is intended as a tea brewing basket, not coffee. Water needs to pass quickly through ground coffee to make better coffee, otherwise you extract a lot more oils and other heart-unhealthy substances. Tea is meant to steep 4-5 minutes to extract flavors and tannins.

Green apron off:
whatever tastes good at the time.

Needed-
Ground coffee

I tried the above mentioned method. I could not get the grounds to settle even after the splash of water. I may try the Via instant for now at least until I have more time for sorting out.

I think I omitted letting the brewed coffee sit for a couple of minutes. And the dash of water has to be cool or cold. Never failed for me, so I must have left some part of the routine out.

Odd... only one person mentioned it. I assume you bring some sort of heater (I have a JB). Maxwell House makes coffee "tea" bags. Nothing packs easier and smaller that isn't "instant" and I just don't care for it. Two bags and a full JB, let them steep for 7 or 8 minutes (longer for stronger) and it makes a great cup of coffee. Sure, it ain't french press but there is a lot less work and a lot less paraphernalia and no clean up. My wife and I can brew a "pot" and each have a full cup.

Fillable tea bags

I'm a bit late on this thread, but just read it. I roast my own coffee and use the Aeropress at home. However, I purchased a quantity of "Fill your own" tea bags via ebay from China. I got five hundred of them. It takes a bit of prep as you measure your amount of coffee, place it in a bag, and iron the flap shut. Place the bags in a zip lock container and simply make coffee like you would tea. Voila! A simple coffee bag that is easily disposed of after use and you use your favorite coffee. I am not a Fourbucks, I mean Starbucks fan. They burn their coffee. Of course, most bikers I know would drink motor oil.

Back