• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

coffee brewing

roostershooter

motorcycle cowboy
I'm looking to reduce the space requirements for my camping gear that I carry on my bike. One area is my coffee pot. What do you use to brew coffee while camping on a bike?

This topic was discussed some while back on ADV. There were a lot of folks that recommended the AeroPress. As these units weren't too expensive I obtained one.

One needs to have pre-ground coffee (or carry a portable grinder) and a cup of boiling water. The AeroPress is pretty easy to use and can make a nice strong cup of coffee - in fact the instructions suggest some dilution - not me, I like it strong.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Amazon seems to have a pretty good price -

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

a link to a FAQ for the AeroPress is below -
http://aerobie.com/Products/Details/AeroPressFAQ.htm

Good coffee is something I really enjoy, so I make room for a proper brew. I have a hand-cranked grinder that takes up as much space as my JetBoil stove, and a French Press. I use the press to carry my and Barley's meds so it really doesn't take up much space, and I nestle it in a sidecase amongst my clothes for padding.

One needs to have pre-ground coffee (or carry a portable grinder) and a cup of boiling water. The AeroPress is pretty easy to use and can make a nice strong cup of coffee - in fact the instructions suggest some dilution - not me, I like it strong.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

My coffee kit fits in a small eagle creak packing cube and includes the Aeropress, a Zasenhous turkish mill to grind coffee beans, the beans, an alcohol stove, and extra alcohol.

This image includes my primary stove. The one with the coffee kit is the secondary stove when I need two burners.

1070241630_wdet5-O.jpg

The lightest coffee:)

My wife loves the coffee bags, like tea bags. She is a coffee adict too. Most all the coffee comes in tea bags style now and all we do is boil water, add bag:)....Pretty darn simple and easy:). Randy

+2 on the Aeropress. Makes a damn fine coffee. Essentially makes a shot of espresso-like liquid. You then add hot water for an Americano. Marchyman, I like the addition of the Turkish mill. Functional and stylish.

What I don't like is that this stuff is a bit bulky. When space is an issue, I buy instant espresso.

I have a one cup at a time cone filter that sits on the cup. It also fits over a small thermos bottle to fill it for later. I have seen and used small French press pots trouble with French press pots is you get it really strong or sludge. Not for all tastes.

I have a one cup at a time cone filter that sits on the cup. It also fits over a small thermos bottle to fill it for later. I have seen and used small French press pots trouble with French press pots is you get it really strong or sludge. Not for all tastes.

There's an art to it, but once you get it right the brew can't be beat! If you are attending the rally show up in the morning with your cup and I'll show you what I mean.

Pete

There's an art to it, but once you get it right the brew can't be beat! If you are attending the rally show up in the morning with your cup and I'll show you what I mean.

Pete

Like plugging a tire, it's something you should practice/learn at home before hitting the road.

A friend brought us some cups from Down Under that have their own french press built in. They work well, but generally I heat water with the Jet Boil and then use individual servings of instant coffee. It's not your father's instant coffee anymore.

+1 also

JetBoil and Starbucks Via here.

and you can mix the types i.e. Columbian and French or italian dark roast to make your coffee as strong as you like.

Sheesh! I feel like I just did a tag for free.

I use this filter basket. It sits ontop of whatever cup or container you wish to make your coffee in and uses standard cone filters. It collapses down flat for packing.

5021-500_NOC02_view1_720x720.jpg

+1 on Starbucks Via. Yes, it's instant coffee but it ain't bad and each one-serving packet takes up about as close to no room as you can get. So then all you need is a cup and a heat source, which you probably have in your kit already.

Now if you had an ST1300 Pan, you could brew coffee or hot soup in the fairing pockets. Maybe bake muffins, too. :nyah

pete

+1 on Starbucks Via. Yes, it's instant coffee but it ain't bad and each one-serving packet takes up about as close to no room as you can get. So then all you need is a cup and a heat source, which you probably have in your kit already.

Now if you had an ST1300 Pan, you could brew coffee or hot soup in the fairing pockets. Maybe bake muffins, too. :nyah

pete

mmmm.....muffins!:clap

Back